307 issues
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 307 issues

Default 307 issues

hey,

Advertisement

I'm currently considering the purchase of a peugeot 307 hdi touring (amongst other makes) and wish to pick the brains of some the knowledgable people that frequent this site. I know the 307 isn't 'pug' enough for most of you die hard peugeot fans and that it is underpowered however these things don't really concern me at all. However the poor build quality stories I hear do (are they really that bad and are they improving over time?). I have also heard that peugeot's in general (I don't know about the 307 specifically) have exposed alloy sumps that are a liabililty for damage on some of our worse australian roads. And how does the turbo diesel perform on really hot days?

I get the impression that some of you on this forum love to pick on the 307 so I would love to hear what you can come up with regarding any other issues (possibly some of you might even have some nice things to say!) that I should consider.

Bring it on,
    Cheers

Welcome to touring?!

We've discussed the HDi a few months back, perhaps a search for 307 HDI will come up with this thread. It is interesting reading. I personally think the 307 HDI touring is a great piece of kit. It's got heaps of room and is well appointed. A car of that type is never going to be a hoot to throw around, but I think it'll still give you enough thrills.

However, I can't answer your question re: sump and hot conditions. Justin should jump in here soon to add somemore comments.

Hope you have fun here.

- Lincoln
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Icon7

Thanks Lincoln,
    I've had a good search through this site before for 307's and found some great info (that's how i get the idea that this is the place to find out more!). However I'm a slow thinker and always want to know more, more, more! I hope Justin posts some info as you expect

Hi touring?

Lincoln's welcomed you to AF already, you've done well to get a kind word out of him regarding the 307

There is an AF member who bought a 307 Touring, 307_Touring who seems to be very happy with the car. Hasn't been on the forum for over a month though.

I still have my reservations about the car/engine combination with the 307 Touring HDi, I personally think Peugeot should not have mated the 66kW HDi with this car, rather the 80kW HDi version, given the 307 Touring's hefty weight increase over the hatch (over 200kg heavier). Drive the car yourself - if you're happy with it, great! If a HDi Touring isn't available, get a 307 HDi hatch and load it with 4 people (incl. driver) and you should have a reasonable comparison in regards to performance to some degree (although the Touring rides better than the hatch).

The Touring is quite a good car and pretty good value at only $1700 extra over the hatch. Like the hatch, it is a roomy car. 307's are excellent family cars, they have enough room inside so you don't need to go the next size up. In fact you have more room up front than a 406. They have excellent levels of equipment.

Like any turbo car, the HDi is affected by the heat (search our discussion list archives, link is below), especially considering it is not intercooled. Quality is on the improve, a lot of the problems I have listed on my site aren't applicable to current models. The golden rule that you never buy a new car in its first year of production applies to the 307 like any other car. I did have various problems with the car intially, but the car suddenly decided to behave after passing 20,000km (it now has 39,000km on it). The multiplexing technology that often caused grief is maturing, as PSA gains more experience with it, it should improve.

The petrol 1.6 & 2.0 have alloy sumps, not sure about the HDi. I haven't heard any complaints about the sump's susceptibility to damage though.

Below is a review of the 307 HDi hatch.

http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_1971/article.html

I run a website and discussion list for the 307. The website can be found here and the discussion list is here.

I'll hopefully update the website over the next week.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Tadpole

Default 307 Touring

Hi,

I have recently bought a new 307 Touring HDi (Christmas 2003). It is a very comfortable car, very roomy and drives nicely. It doesn't have the pep of a petrol engine from standing starts (although it can move off pretty smartly if pushed) It cruises very well even 4 up. Performance generally is pretty good and I love the fuel economy!

We haven't had many really hot days 35% and more) so far this summer but I haven't noticed any difference relative to the weather (the air con is terrific) but I will take more notice now.

My question is a bit left field - I bought a diesel pug cos I'm sort of a 'born again' greenie who is concerned with making a difference, including professionally. I am keen to get some info about pugs and using biodiesel which is available at my local service station (SAFF or SA Farmers Federation). I know that biodiesel is 'old hat' in Europe and that the HDi engine is set up for diesel of any provenence as long as it meets the correct ESN standard.

Does anyone have some information or experience with this in Australia?

JohnM

Search the forums regarding biodiesel, there has been some good discussion in the past and we do have some biodiesel users here.

BTW: Welcome to AF

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

i remember someone from 206gti.net cracked a sump (on a 206 of course), but i've had my car lowered and have not had any mark on it at all. just watch where you're driving and you'll be right i think.
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

I agree with justin that the 66kw hdi seems to be a bit small for the size of the car but I guess I can't really comment until I drive it (hopefully in a week or two when the dealer gets a demonstrator in diesel). I'm hardly the sort to be rallying the thing but from some of the previous discusions it sounds like the intercooler would be very, very good. I also read at the 307 yahoo site that Powerchip can add some software (for about 1k) that picks up the engine to about 80kw. Always the sceptic, I can't help thinking that if it was that easy why dosn't peugeot add something similar at the factory? It would hardly cost them much (on a per unit basis) if powerchip sells to a niche market for a k. Surely it must affect fuel economy or engine wear and tear or something?

The alloy sump still worries me a bit. I would hate to back over a low stump or something in a dark campground (it sounds stupid but murphy's law say's; especially seeing that people that can work on peugeot's are relatively few and far between. Maybe there is a sump guard (4x4 style) available.

The 12 year anti-corrosion warranty is impressive; does this mean that the thing can't rust! Also does anyone know when they may bring out the 3 year warranty? Two years is signalling to the market that they have little faith in their own build quality

Please keep the comments coming in

Thanks

Tadpole

Hi John,

I have a friend in Germany who managed a rape-seed fuel project over there.. info on that any good to you?

cheers

m

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM
    Hi,

I have recently bought a new 307 Touring HDi (Christmas 2003). It is a very comfortable car, very roomy and drives nicely. It doesn't have the pep of a petrol engine from standing starts (although it can move off pretty smartly if pushed) It cruises very well even 4 up. Performance generally is pretty good and I love the fuel economy!

We haven't had many really hot days 35% and more) so far this summer but I haven't noticed any difference relative to the weather (the air con is terrific) but I will take more notice now.

My question is a bit left field - I bought a diesel pug cos I'm sort of a 'born again' greenie who is concerned with making a difference, including professionally. I am keen to get some info about pugs and using biodiesel which is available at my local service station (SAFF or SA Farmers Federation). I know that biodiesel is 'old hat' in Europe and that the HDi engine is set up for diesel of any provenence as long as it meets the correct ESN standard.

Does anyone have some information or experience with this in Australia?

JohnM

XTC

Whilst a well maintain diesel can be greener, you've also probably seen the effects of a non-well maintained diesel as well (or every second landcrusier it seems). Petrol cars are also these days pretty clean, the question you have to ask is "what's the premium for the diesel version ? - what's the difference in economy ? - how many kms will you do per year? - and what's the price per litre of petrol v's diesel?"

I think it's been demonstated several times on AF, you really need to be doing LOTS of kms to make it economically viable (all green issues aside).

- XTC -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Fellow Frogger!

Default 307

I test drove a 2ltr second hand 307 and I was pleasantly surprised given the negative feedback I have heard.

I would be happy to own one and found the room and the equipment level very good.

It in petrol form was adequate in performance. After driving one I see them in a new light!

The worst car for bottoming out I have ever driven is a Toyota Avalon I grounded it after forgetting I was not in a Peugeot and going over a speed hump at normal Peugeot speed!

I did a 12 Hour stint in this car and It was awful!

Graeme

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Whilst a well maintain diesel can be greener, you've also probably seen the effects of a non-well maintained diesel as well (or every second landcrusier it seems).

I think it's been demonstated several times on AF, you really need to be doing LOTS of kms to make it economically viable (all green issues aside).

- XTC -
    XTC,
    You're right on the economic viability of diesels (in Australia anyway).

On the Landcruiser issue - those 1HZ engines used until (I'm pretty sure) last year's year models are (compared to modern HDi Common Rail Diesels) positively ancient. They use indirect (or distribution) injection. There is no 100% accurate way to measure the amount of fuel required so even if injectors are in tip top condition, it's still possible for them to blow a bit of smoke of full throttle particularly as the revs pick up.
    1HZ Info: http://www.brian894x4.com/1HZspecifications.html

The new Toyota Landcruiser diesel (150kw turbo) is at least direct injection with an EFI system which means it's less likely to blow smoke.
    Info: http://www.brian894x4.com/1HDFTEspecifications.html

Anyway, sorry to get off topic. I just wanted to clarify that those older Toyota engines really are old in diesel technology terms - they've been around since the early 1990's.

Toyota's trucking partner, Hino, has moved forward and has some very good Common Rail Diesel engines with impressive performance stats. Hopefully Toyota takes on some of the technology for its consumer passenger vehicles such as Landcruiser soon.

Derek.

Thread Information