Oil temp gauge al4
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pugwash

Thread: Oil temp gauge al4

Fellow Frogger!

Icon11 Oil temp gauge al4

Hi frogers.Would I be stupid to fit a oil temp gauge to a al4 tranny so as to monitor heat? Solinoid in place of level plug?Thoughts please. Thanks Tomfrog. 74 & Getting sillier.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by tomfrog View Post
    Hi frogers.Would I be stupid to fit a oil temp gauge to a al4 tranny so as to monitor heat? Solinoid in place of level plug?Thoughts please. Thanks Tomfrog. 74 & Getting sillier.
    What would you do if the gauge indicated overheating. What is "normal" temperature?. I suggest money is better spent on HUGE tranny oil cooler which is likely to stop overheating in the first place.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

I personally wouldn't worry. They are very resilient gearboxes for the most part.

As with many mechanical items, damage is most frequently done when continuing to operate the item whilst you know there to be a faulty condition occurring.

Fellow Frogger!

What about towing according to manual specs? Summer air temps?.Tomfrog

I've frequently towed with an AL4, no issues. Have towed a heavily laden Falcon One-Tonner 5km in the Blue Mountains using a snatch strap, no issues. Only servicing in 160000km has been two solenoids and two oil changes.

Fellow Frogger!

Frogers. We seem to be missing the point. I wish to keep an eye o n the oil temp so as NOT to do damage to tranny.I wish to tow a caravan[1200kgs] with a 406 hdi waggon hence'the gauge Any suggestions as whereto put itwould be appreciated .Dont be nasty now.Regards TOMFROG

Fellow Frogger!

thanks frogers for advice on oil coolers. now-back to seach for oil temp gauge to al4 .tomfrog

1000+ Posts

thanks frogers for advice on oil coolers. now-back to seach for oil temp gauge to al4 .tomfrog
    Don't know your set up but suspect the factory oil cooler is a water/oil cooler? So it would have the oil temperature at least what the water temp is? What is the pressure cap spec? In any case, it would run at well over 100 deg C.
    Slush boxes last longer if the oil temp is kept below 100 or even better below 90.

I'v done the temp check on an R19 years ago. I just stuck a digi temp probe down the filler and had the gadget inside the cabin. Noted that the box ran too hot for my liking so i fitted an air oil cooler and got rid of the water one. The tranny runs about 10 to 15 deg. C. lower in most conditions.

If you are towing i'd definitely fit a cooler. Cheap insurance.

"The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Just fit a temp sensor to the drain plug. The oil starts to lose it's rated viscosity around the 100 to105C mark. The box has a heat exchanger on it with coolant supply from the engine. The best thing to do for towing is to ensure the radiator and fans are effective. It is also great benefit that it is an HDi as diesel when injected cools the engine as well. Great combination.

Frogers. We seem to be missing the point. I wish to keep an eye o n the oil temp so as NOT to do damage to tranny.I wish to tow a caravan[1200kgs] with a 406 hdi waggon hence'the gauge Any suggestions as whereto put itwould be appreciated .Dont be nasty now.Regards TOMFROG
    I don't think anyone is being nasty, but what temperature would you consider to be too high?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

slc206. oil temp below 100*I suppose.Tomfrog ps.100* too high? TOMFROG
    Last edited by tomfrog; 19th December 2013 at 07:47 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for advice froggers on oil gauge ..merry xmas to all . tomfrog

1000+ Posts

Default guage

Thanks for advice froggers on oil gauge ..merry xmas to all . tomfrog
    could you get a nut with the correct thread brazed onto the oil pan low down ,not sure how high the oil comes up .even so it will give you the tranny temp which should be close to what the oil is running. drain/level plug would be difficult and its a bit exposed .could you T it into the hose that runs from the radiator somehow ,i realize you are running or have run out of time by now .PUGS
    tomfrog likes this.

Thread Information