1994 306 XT - After Market Air Con & Cooling System Help
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 1994 306 XT - After Market Air Con & Cooling System Help

Hi Aussiefrogs,

I'm currently trying to repair/restore a '94 XT 306 5 door. The air con and cooling system is a bit 'agricultural'.
    Unfortunately one of the fans failed on a big trip a few years ago and the 'STOP' light popped up (never like seeing that light). The fan was replaced, but the car continues to run hot. It has been off the road for a bit under a year, and I would like to get her fixed and back on the tarmac.

I was told by my local peugeot dealer that the very early 306's were imported to Australia without air con (due to the cheaper import charges) and an after market system fitted by Peugeot Australia before hitting the show room floor/customers. The AC button (blue) was installed on the left side of the radio. Unfortunately it appears my 306 is one of these (I would rather have the true factory fitted system - I am considering a retrofit if I can find the parts)

Advertisement

On my particular car, there are two Davies Craig brand fans in an open frame, both switched by a single relay which is triggered by the Coolant Temp sensor (only 2 of the 3 pins used) and the Air Con activation.

1994 306 XT - After Market Air Con & Cooling System Help-20131210_184158.jpg1994 306 XT - After Market Air Con & Cooling System Help-20131210_184147.jpg1994 306 XT - After Market Air Con & Cooling System Help-20131205_170606.jpg

Does anyone have any history or information/experience when dealing with this aftermarket setup?

Has anybody improved or retrofitted a newer system to an older 306?

I would very much like to update the facia to one where the A/C button is not next to the radio - but getting the system cooling properly comes first. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Tadpole

Looking further into retrofitting a newer system - does anyone know if a Valeo system and BEHR system are interchangeable (in terms of the heater matrix)?
    From what I've read, Non-Aircon 306's had the Valeo system, with the BEHR system being installed on 306's with air con.
    Has anyone seen both systems?

Hi! I don't know if I can be any help, but I have taken a '94 Peugeot 306XR off the road, because of engine noise. The air-con was working then and the compressor etc. should still be ok, although it has been left standing for 3-4 years. I leave it to you to let me know if you are interested. Regards, Peter

Thread Information