404 Familiale
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 404 Familiale

Fellow Frogger!

Default 404 Familiale

There is a 1964 404 Familiale L for sale. This was originally a French car and was brought out here and is said to be rare. I am trying to find out why it is rare. I assume the Familiale means it is a wagon but what is the significance of the L? Did all wagons have three rows of seats?
    Just curious

Advertisement

Glenn

The 'familiale' designation refers to the fact that it has three rows of seats. As far as I know, only wagons were sold here, which only have two rows of seats.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

1000+ Posts

We had a 1965 Familiale for a number of years. This car was privately imported from Rhodesia probably in the 1970s. I have 2 other 404 station wagons, circa 1970 in the past. I'm pretty sure the for some strange reason the importers only wagons and sedan, plus the ute into Australia

Via the aussiefrogs App
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

To clarify this matter, 404s on general sale in Australia were assembled from CKD packs by Continental and General Distributors and latterly by Renault Australia. Only sedans, wagons and utes were assembled. This limited range reflected previous 203 and 403 assembly by Harden and Johnston in NSW and Canada Cycle in Victoria (although the 203 range did include a panel van).

From the 203 on, the wagons in France were made in two distinct forms, the familiale and the limousine commercial. The familiale was essentially a people carrier with a third row of seats and included all the usual sedan luxury?? features such as external stainless steel trim, an ashtray and a trip meter. The commercial, being aimed at a more utility oriented buyer had the usual wagon type folding rear seat and an equipment level of hair shirt proportions.

The 404 wagons assembled in Australia were, however, an amalgam of the two models in that they were the commercial with a sedan dash, presumably to give a more up market appearance. No such fripperies were included in the Australian assembled utes which used the basic commercial dash.

L is for Longue, referring to the wheelbase.

Got a VIN for me?
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for all this info guys at least I now understand why the car is rare in Australia including what the L means. Sorry no VIN but engine no 780127541 which I assume is original.

Glenn

Weird number, it should be seven digits long between two "X"s, stamped into the machined flat next to the left engine mount boss.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

1000+ Posts

The chassis No will match the engine No if the motor is original.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Fellow Frogger!

Good point about the engine number - I only have this from the ad.

Glenn

There is another number on the block [on 504/s] under where the carb would be . This was used as the engine no the roadworthy cert and registration on my car ,despite having a number stamped at the engine mount the same as the VIN

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

I have one, 1965 RHD UK private import.

It has three rows of seats and there is a dish pressed into the rear floor for the rear seat pan. It has its own wiring loom, with sedan features such as door switches for the enterior light which the U6 doesn't have. It has a sedan style grill, with a smaller badge. Clutch type fan and 4-2-1 exhaust. Thermostable drum brakes and it has sedan style door trims and window winders. The U6 and utes had a 403 style winder which turns the other way to lower the glass.

It also has sedan front guards, which have a smaller wheelarch cutout than the U6 and utes, 165 15 tyres instead of 175 15, bolt on hubcaps similar to sedan, but with a bigger bolt, lower rate rear springs (more comfortable to ride in that U6) and it uses sedan front spring seats, which are larger diameter than U6 or ute, but the springs are specific to the familiale. The wheels are five stud, with a cage to hold the hubcap and slotted in the same manner as late model sedan. At first glance it looks like it's been converted to 504 wagon running gear, but not when you take a closer look.

The rear axle is the 101mm center worm drive, but the ratio is lower than a sedan (4.65 or so). Goes well up to about 70 mph, then it's too frantic. I managed to out drag a Ford XR6 ute up Cunningham's gap with it, because the Ford kept going sideways. I eventually got past on the outside after the lady driving the ute frightened herself.

According to the parts book, the 404L is a 'family car' and the third row of seats was optional. The 5 seater uses the same rear seat frame as the U6 but with sedan spec upholstry to match the front seats. The 7 seater doesn't have a folding 2nd row, the seats tip up for access to the back row. The front seats are the same as a sedan, and recline, which U6 seats don't.

It has SEV Marchal headlights, as for the mid- spec sedans, not the Cibies of the U6 or ute.

It goes, but it's pretty scruffy. There are some pictures in the 404 appreciation thread, fairly early on.

Bruce.

Thread Information