306 hatchback noisy in wagon mode
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 306 hatchback noisy in wagon mode

Cramming my MTB into the back of the GTi6 requires conversion to wagon mode, like so-

Advertisement

I've noticed though that when I do this the exhaust resonates/drones from about 2,000rpm all the way up to whatever I care to rev it to. At first I thought it was the bike frame amplifying the vibrations from the boot floor, but after today's ride I had the bright idea of going for a drive with the bike removed - exactly the same. I wouldn't have thought the parcel shelf and rear seats offered all that much sound deadening, but evidently they do. To clarify, externally the exhaust sounds identical, it's only internally that it sounds odd. It's more annoying than loud, makes it sound like I've got one of those 'Milo' brand exhaust systems you see on Civics & Skylines.

So, any ideas on how to combat it? I know a bike rack is always an option but I'd prefer not to have a towbar installed for obvious aesthetic reasons! Perhaps a custom foam liner or something?
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

All you could do would be sound deaden the boot floor under the mat. But yes they do get much louder without the sound deadening of the rear seat and parcel shelf.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Fellow Frogger!

Hmmm...I dealt with a foam supplier a short while ago for a different hobby, maybe I'll pay them a visit and see if they have something that would work.
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Dynamat would be best it just sticks down.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    All you could do would be sound deaden the boot floor under the mat. But yes they do get much louder without the sound deadening of the rear seat and parcel shelf.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Great...Get them to make some 10mm tube to shove in your ear canal.

Jo

Or buy ear plugs!

Via the aussiefrogs App
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Never noticed that with mine but I usually have the stereo pumping...... possible cheap fix?

If part of the problem is tyre roar then changing tyres might make a big difference, specially if you change to a higher profile.

The general booming is largely due to a massively increased internal volume of the car with seat and shelf missing. You might well control that by slinging a heavy blanket (like a removalists felt) over the load. A couple of tie down straps over the load would increase safety too.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Fellow Frogger!

Update! All fixed up now I'm happy to say.

The Dynamat stuff looks good but appears to be permanent, which I don't really want. Instead I got a large sheet of foam cut to size, about 2" thick. It fits snugly in the back when the seats are folded down, then when I'm done carting my bike around I just lift it up and pull it out. Easy!

Without the foam in the back I was getting up to 84dB when I slowly revved to 4,000rpm. With the foam sheet added it peaked at 80dB. Still a touch louder than with the seats up & parcel shelf in but the resonance/droning is gone. Don't have to worry about getting my bike clean before I chuck it in anymore either!
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Thread Information