205 Nervous Steering
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 Nervous Steering

So its been puzzling me for a little while now since I've been driving my 205 again, but the steering seems somewhat nervous.

Handles no worries upon acceleration and when I throw the steering from side to side and lowish speeds.

Advertisement

But when I push through a long bend (more so left hander) or even sometimes in a straight line (on a highway for instance), the steering feels nervous. It feels like I have to readjust the steering during the corner. Control arm bushes seem ok.

I have replaced tie rod outers, sway bar bushes, drop links, group N top mounts and it has koni shocks with standard springs. Car is standard ride height and tyre pressures 30 psi, running Toyo Proxes 4, which i think have a soft tyre wall but thats not it. I had a wheel alignment done and it came back that the passenger side had neutral camber, but the drivers had near -1 deg.

Could it be as simple as the camber issue. I've been informed how compensate for the 1 deg, just haven't got around to it yet. Not sure if the power steering plays a roll in the weird steering feeling either. Haven't really warmed to power steering in a 205 yet.

The car has never been in an accident and it doesn't track.

Anyway, thought I'd see if anyones had similar issues or advice.

Cheers guys.
    Julian

If you fiddled with your steering, you need to do a wheel alignment. My guess is you didn't get the toe right, that's why the car seems twitchy.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Check the back suspension that the arms and bearing are not worn. If they are you get a toe in or out change mid corner
    Adrian Wuillemin

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    If you fiddled with your steering, you need to do a wheel alignment. My guess is you didn't get the toe right, that's why the car seems twitchy.
    Well I had the front end alignment done, camber and toe. Not rear as you cant adjust the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Wuillemi View Post
    Check the back suspension that the arms and bearing are not worn. If they are you get a toe in or out change mid corner
    Thanks Adrian. I gave it a a good shake but it seems pretty sound. I know that its not perfect as it does creek and carry on over rise's and when the hand brake is let off. Its on the "to do" list however.

Sorry, didn't read your post carefully enough.

How did they do the alignment if the camber is different?

Changing the camber will affect toe.

At the moment, does it behave differently on right and left turns?

If it was my car, I would take it to another shop, ask them for a reading before and after they do the alignment. I've had three shops give me three different figures, not sure why. Best if you find someone with proper Pug knowledge to do it.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

More likely the back than the front if you don't know the history and you've done all that work on the front. It's difficult to diagnose.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Sorry, didn't read your post carefully enough.

How did they do the alignment if the camber is different?

Changing the camber will affect toe.

At the moment, does it behave differently on right and left turns?

If it was my car, I would take it to another shop, ask them for a reading before and after they do the alignment. I've had three shops give me three different figures, not sure why. Best if you find someone with proper Pug knowledge to do it.
    All good.
    Yeah well he informed me that the passenger side was at zero camber and drivers side was at -1 deg. No print out, bit dodge actually. I saw the machine, looks like an old space invaders game. He just writes down the numbers. But the degree out puzzled me as there isn't any camber adjustment on the 205 so wasn't sure if it was a fault or not. Adrian later informed me that you can loosen the subframe and adjust to give both sides -0.5 deg.

I kind of burnt a bridge with one crowd because I didnt turn up to a booking.

But cornering, yeah I would say it doesn't particularly like long right handers. (leans on the side with 0 camber)

Fellow Frogger!

Still the back end not the front
    Adrian Wuillemin

Try driving the car with the handbrake dragging very, very slightly. If the nervousness disappears than Adrian is correct.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

As others have suggested, whether the rear is adjustable or not, suggest you check the toe on the rear, it may have a bent part or worn bushes. If it is a solid beam it is unlikely to be wrong, but worth checking. Any amount of toe-out on the rear will cause wandering, normally slight toe-in is required. I'm no Peugeot expert, this is in reference to any car. A slight fish-tailing of the car when coming out of bends is an effect of rear toe-out.

Also, the front cambers you mention are somewhat opposite to how one normally adjusts camber for driving on the left hand side of road (there was another thread on this). Your settings are actually helping the car to drift left when driving in a straight line. Either equal cambers, or slightly more positive on the right hand side, will help it track straight. Don't know what effect that will have in corners.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Fordman; 18th December 2013 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Add the camber comments.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Thread Information