206 GTI or 306 GTI6 ?
  • Register
  • Help
    GBH
    Tadpole

Icon5 206 GTI or 306 GTI6 ?

Hi

I am contemplating buying either a secondhand 206GTi or 306GTI6.

Looking at the spec's the performance times are roughly similar, even though the 306 has the better engine. The 206 is better appointed but the engine isn't overtly sporting ...

Advertisement

I am currently running a 106 Rallye, and have previously owned a 306 XSI which had a sebring exhaust and maronette headlights ( double round ones on each side ) and modified suspension.

What would you buy and why ?
    Last edited by GBH; 16th January 2004 at 11:00 AM.

Hi GBH, welcome to

I went through this dilemna a few years back and drove the GTi6 and 206 back to back and felt the GTi6 was a much more fun car to drive. I bought the GTi6. Where the GTi6 is really a sports version of the GTi6, with a 6 speed box, and heavily tuned engine and exhaust. The 206 uses the 406 2L engine without being tuned any differently.

On the road, the two are similar in speeds until the GTi6 hits around 4500rpm where it would pull away from a GTI.

We've talked about this before, if you search for GTI6 and 206 GTI in the Peugeot Forum you should find some more information. EG, how the GTi6 has an atrocious turning circle (which you forgive because of it's other awesome attributes).
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    EG, how the GTi6 has an atrocious turning circle (which you forgive because of it's other awesome attributes).
    Although this factor contributed to me buying a 306XSi (5 speed) rather than a GTi6. I think it was a wise decision - I'm very happy with my XSi.

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    Although this factor contributed to me buying a 306XSi (5 speed) rather than a GTi6. I think it was a wise decision - I'm very happy with my XSi.

Derek
    I'm sure you are, but I don't think it's that bad. It's only 13.7 metres...you just don't do u-turns, simple as that.
    - Lincoln

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

as a long term owner of a GTi-6 i have never really worried about the turning circle, or lack there of
    sure you can't chuck a U turn just anywhere but you learn to use driveways or go around the block
    turning to the left is fine it's only when you need to go right it can be a bit harder
    but really i have never worried about it and it never seems to get in the way nor do i really think about it whenever i drive the car
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

XTC

I'm sure you are, but I don't think it's that bad. It's only 13.7 metres...you just don't do u-turns, simple as that.
    Heard of the handbrake ? = fun
    - XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

GBH
    Tadpole

Hi GBH, welcome to

I went through this dilemna a few years back and drove the GTi6 and 206 back to back and felt the GTi6 was a much more fun car to drive. I bought the GTi6. Where the GTi6 is really a sports version of the GTi6, with a 6 speed box, and heavily tuned engine and exhaust. The 206 uses the 406 2L engine without being tuned any differently.

On the road, the two are similar in speeds until the GTi6 hits around 4500rpm where it would pull away from a GTI.

We've talked about this before, if you search for GTI6 and 206 GTI in the Peugeot Forum you should find some more information. EG, how the GTi6 has an atrocious turning circle (which you forgive because of it's other awesome attributes).
    Hi

Looking at the spec's in the UK Autocar magazine the 206GTI was fractionally faster than the 306GTI6. 7.9 vs 7.4 to 60 mph

The engine is the main thing putting me off the 206, ie the 406 sourced unit. It isn't very inspiring to drive ... I don't know if later 206gti's are better to drive than the earlier one that I sampled ?

The 306GTI6 engine really does its best revving out, which is similar to my 106 Rallye, and is bigger which is useful for travelling away.

But in favour of the 206GTI, is that it is newer, a current design, better appointed and from what I have read on forum's a better handler.

The 306 Gti-6 turning circle is not a problem unless you live in city areas...where the lanes aren't usually wide enough or going around the block means going around 4 blocks because of ONE way streets.

I live in city areas....but I still bought the 306GTi-6...it is all because of its adjustable handling (c.f. 205 Gti which punishes you if you get it wrong) and luuurvly 6 speeder 'box. You get to learn to judge whether you can make the U-turn pretty quickly after driving the '6 for awhile..... I learn this the hard way doing a U-turn on Beaudesert Rd (LOTS of BIG trucks) and realise you won't make it with a semi-trailer heading your passenger door at around 70km/h is SCARY. But that was only a month I got the car. Just FYI I did my U-turn at an intersection where a U-turn is permitted...so you would think the road would be wide enough complete the manouvere without hassles.

Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

-Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

Forgot to add ...it is really what Lincoln (GTI124) said

"Don't buy a GTi-6 unless you are going to keep it"

Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

Billy, it' so funny that those words have really set in on you there!

It's my opinion that the 206 GTI is like the 306 XSI. It'd good, it's fun, but not special like the '6. The 206 GTI 180 is in the same league as the '6.
    - Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by GBH
    Hi

Looking at the spec's in the UK Autocar magazine the 206GTI was fractionally faster than the 306GTI6. 7.9 vs 7.4 to 60 mph

But in favour of the 206GTI, is that it is newer, a current design, better appointed and from what I have read on forum's a better handler.
    the GTi-6 is good for around 7.6 0-100km/h
    also with me having a GTi-6 and mum having a 206GTi i can compare here a little
    the 206 is a good little car
    it takes off pretty well and i would say on par with the GTi-6
    the GTi-6 will out handle the 206 hands down
    the GTi-6 has a better feel and more postive feed back i feel than the 206
    the 206 has a better finish interior wise but that's not saying that the 306 is bad
    the 206 has a few little appointments that are nice and more modern, but that is something to be expected as the car is newer
    the 306 engine sings a lovely note albeit louder than the 206
    now this is comparing a stock 306 to a lowered 206GTi
    my pick is the 306 mainly as i love the g/box
    better clutch feel in the 306
    better steering feedback in the 306
    more room in the 306
    this is my opinion and i stress you need to drive the cars back to back to make up your own mind
    you are the one that is forking out cold hard for it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Billy, it' so funny that those words have really set in on you there!
    Lincoln,

I can't help it ....especially when there is ppl thinking of buying a '6.

Plus, I am leaving the country soon for a good number of years....I am really really going to miss my '6

Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

Quote Originally Posted by BW205

Lincoln,

I can't help it ....especially when there is ppl thinking of buying a '6.

Plus, I am leaving the country soon for a good number of years....I am really really going to miss my '6

Cheers
    Billy
    Are you keeping the car whilst you are gone?
    - Lincoln

Lincoln,

Oh yeah....I am DEFINATELY keeping the car while I am gone...I am not going to be a hypocrite by buying a '6 and not keeping it

Hopefully I will have holiday time to come back once in a while and give the '6 a good work out...heheh...

Cheers
    Billy

PS. Unfortunately, part of the deal is that while I am gone...my sister is going to drive it....she hasn't driven a maunal car for like 8years!!!
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

rek

EG, how the GTi6 has an atrocious turning circle (which you forgive because of it's other awesome attributes).
    And the 206 GTI has utterly utterly 110% ultra diabolical pedal placement, if you have large and/or wide feet. If this affects you, you can't even sample its awesome attributes because you simply can't drive the thing without mashing two pedals!

It took me about 3 seconds of sitting in a 206 to know that I would not take one even for a test-drive, let alone buy one.

At least you can deal with a crap right-turning circle without too much hassle (although you look like Austin Powers while trying to do U-turns )
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

the turning circle in the GTi-6 is as easily forgotten as the off centre steering wheel in an LJ torana
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    the turning circle in the GTi-6 is as easily forgotten as the off centre steering wheel in an LJ torana
    Just have to remember which direction is the larger - yes it's smaller one way then the other.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Just have to remember which direction is the larger - yes it's smaller one way then the other.

- XTC206 -
    easy to remember
    just think that the car was made to drive on the other side of the road and hence chucking a 'U' turn to the left is easier
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by rek
    And the 206 GTI has utterly utterly 110% ultra diabolical pedal placement, if you have large and/or wide feet. If this affects you, you can't even sample its awesome attributes because you simply can't drive the thing without mashing two pedals!

It took me about 3 seconds of sitting in a 206 to know that I would not take one even for a test-drive, let alone buy one.

At least you can deal with a crap right-turning circle without too much hassle (although you look like Austin Powers while trying to do U-turns )
    The 206 GTI 180 has much better palcement of the pedals, and is actually a fairer comparison to the GTi6.
    - Lincoln

Tadpole

i havent driven a GTi6, but the 306 chassis is miles apart fom the 206. I love my GTi - but it feels rough compared to the 306. The pedals on the 206 are diabolical i agree - but you get used to it. I wouldnt worry about the turning circle - as has been said before - dont u-turn.

i dont regret going from the 306 to the 206. it's a great little car, the the 180 is a step above again. it will be interesting to see which way you go.
    Bart - "Gee Homer you sure do suck tonight"
    Homer - "Suck like a fox!"

Now - 2003 Peugeot 206 GTi
    Then - 2001 Peugeot 306 Rallye

has the new 180 got any feeling in the clutch ?
    i have found that the clutch in the 206GTi is very light where as the clutch in the 306 GTi-6 is heavier
    i prefer the feel of the 306 pedal over the 206 one
    you can tell the difference driving them back to back
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

......im going out on a lim here,- id go the 206GTi. I drove a near standard one VERY hard at Wakefield and i feel the make a better track car, also its feels more nimble than a gti-6.
    But then again your not lookin for a track car are you? The best road going french hot-hatch overall (oveall=performance,power,looks, features,driveability Vs price),- id dare to say gti-6 closely followed by Clio Cup and then 205 gti.. but i have yet to thrash a 180 so time will tell. guess i just shot my first paragraph in the foot.-chris
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    has the new 180 got any feeling in the clutch ?
    i have found that the clutch in the 206GTi is very light where as the clutch in the 306 GTi-6 is heavier
    i prefer the feel of the 306 pedal over the 206 one
    you can tell the difference driving them back to back
    Funny thing is if you have a clutch installed properly on the GTi6, it's as easy as a Japanese clutch! Tonia had a new clutch fitted to GTI124 and although there is still feel there it's as light as can be now.
    - Lincoln

Funny thing is if you have a clutch installed properly on the GTi6, it's as easy as a Japanese clutch! Tonia had a new clutch fitted to GTI124 and although there is still feel there it's as light as can be now.

mine has never been touched and it's never been any different
    people have always stated how the clutch is heavier than such and such
    i never really take that much notice due to bieng so used to it ( a bit like the turning circle )
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Thread Information