Thanks Pugwreck
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Thanks Pugwreck

1000+ Posts

Default Thanks Pugwreck

I wanted to fit some 505 GTI struts to my 504.
    To do this I needed a set of late model 504 wagon lower control arms so I could accommodate the screw-in balljoints and the shorter control arm for proper steering geometry.
    I searched high and low, found no mention of such control arms on any sites where I get parts.
    People said they were unobtanium. It was like trying to buy rockinghorse shit.

So

I rang Pugwreck

They said they had a pair

I wanted them to measure them to make sure but they were too busy.

Advertisement

Not really believing my luck I paid for them and today they arrived, the right kind of rockinghorse shit, I've fitted them and the car feels a million dollars better.

So thanks again Pugwreck. You guys know yer shit.

I think I've only ever bought one thing from Pugwreck but I've never heard a bad said about this business. Hayden knows his stuff.

I/ve never needed to go anywhere else for things I needed for my cab ,power steering,5 speed conversion ,front struts etc . I am glad they are not too far from me .

I've dealt with Shinny and Hayden at Pugwreck for more than two decades and now consider them friends! They looked after me with my 404, 504 and 505. I'm very grateful for their excellent service and valuable advice over the years.
    '66 404 Wagon
    '78 504 Wagon
    '89 505 GTI S II Familiale

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Well done Dan, Paris and I bought our LCAs from Pugwreck too, but I thought we got the last two pairs!
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

WLB

I've been buying parts from Hayden and Shinny for 30 years, when I needed a pair of wiper arms for a damaged 1800cc 504 that I'd bought from Lindsay Thompson in Mornington. You certainly won't find anyone more helpful or knowledgeable. In fact junior is on his way there now to pick up a radiator and some service parts for the 406. I buy all my filters, brake pads, etc. from them too.

I've tried a few times to contact them on via their website for the exact same 504 wagon LCA's - never had a response... I'm a little more work needing them posted to Canada, but I'm happy to do that.

If anyone can request a set on my behalf I'd be very grateful.

Rabin

1000+ Posts

Just a quick update on the new front suspension.
    After fitting the 505GTI struts to the 504 with the rockinghorse shit LCA's from Pugwreck I had the wheels aligned by Steve Goodwin down in Cessnock.
    I am here to tell you that this 504 goes round corners like on railway tracks with no discernible body roll. I previously fitted Kings rear springs as well so she sits up very nicely.
    My next job will be to attain power steering for the beast.
    I know some have done it so perhaps some words of advice here? 505 rack and pump? I have the 505 alloy sump that takes aircon so perhaps I could mount the steering pump on that?
    Advice please.

You are lucky you don't have to change the sump .It is best to mount the steering pump where it is on 505/s ,[where the alternator is on TI motor] then you can use the 505 hoses. Use the brackets on the sump to mount the alternator. You will need to change the crossmember and the lower part of the steering column also ,and you will have to have the exhaust engine pipe re routed around the thicker column . If its any help the belts that I used were ,pump,Bosch 11a1040 and alternator ,Bosch 11a0800 [after a bit of trial and error]

I deduce you are running wide tyres & rims, Luthier ? Hence the cornering on rails and need for power steering. What have you got ? Six inch rims and 205s ?

1000+ Posts

Thanks Julian,
    Good info there. Robbo is going to help me with all of that.

No Beano,
    I have standard tyres and rims at present but will soon fit some original 504 mags. Don't know what size tyres these have but it doesn't matter. Fact is the steering is a little heavy on standard tyres though all components are now checked and good so I will do the conversion when time allows with the help of Robbo who has the parts and the knowledge and is happy to help me with this.

The handling on rails is a result of fitting 505 GTI struts using 504 wagon Lower Control Arms which maintains the steering geometry with the one difference that the wheels are now splayed out with an extra one and a half degrees of negative camber, this being the same setup basically as a 505 GTI. As you no doubt know the GTI is superb on handling.

I expect a further improvement in handling with power steering because it just holds the wheels firmer and is so much easier to drive.
    It's not simply extra ease in the carpark[though the missus will particularly love that], it's on the open road where holding a straight line or maintaining a sweeper becomes effortless while at the moment there's a slight hardness to the feel. You see we've all been spoiled by driving with power steering, least I have, and I've seen the improvement with my Hilux when I fitted power steering there, so those are my reasons. Each time I make a change these days it becomes more friendly to drive with less of that worn out old car kinder feel. It's already a very nice car to drive.
    Cheers,
    Dan

Dan with the Alloys I'd suggest 195/70 tyres, same rolling diameter as the 175/80. The major problem is getting something/anything! Almost better of chasing Rally tyres if you have to travel over lots of 'unsealed' roads. The current selections available are very much wanting in this regard. Compounds are also much stickier.
    I wish Yokohama still did the A509 pattern, a road tyre with a larger version of a Rally tread block. I need a set in 215/60x16 for my BF wagon, or I'm spending over a Grand for Subaru spec tyres just because they do dirt.
    Brendan.

Thread Information