505 seats
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 505 seats

Fellow Frogger!

Default 505 seats

I am trying to fit new seat belts to my 505gti. which means removing the front seats to replace the stalk. The rear bolts are out OK but the seats will not slide rearward far enough to access the front bolts.Has anyone done this,is there some trick that I'm missing to make it easier?
    Max

Advertisement

No trick just PIA. The inner one is not to inaccessible but the outer one you can either remove the plastic seat trim or squeaze done between it and the seat.

Remember that where there at two on the back inner track the second on holds the centre muffler.

Fellow Frogger!

thanks anyway, I finally got one out and there is no way to do it easily, just persistence, I'm glad I didn't give it to a professional- i hate to think of the labour charge that would have entailed! Max

con
    Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
    I am trying to fit new seat belts to my 505gti. which means removing the front seats to replace the stalk. The rear bolts are out OK but the seats will not slide rearward far enough to access the front bolts.Has anyone done this,is there some trick that I'm missing to make it easier?
    Max

If you want to save your skin, you need an "offset ratchet screwdriver" with the appropriate torx bit

https://tinyurl.com/krzpr4r

505 seats-offset-90.jpg

Jaycar used to sell a similar set.

con...

Maxy,
    I recall doing this on a 504 I left the rear bolts in place [loosened off]. Used a 1/4" drive ratchet and allen key socket to remove the front.
    A tip, piss off those torx head screws, replace with allen headed screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Maxy,
    ..A tip, piss off those torx head screws, replace with allen headed screws.
    A-bloody-men

Second tip is replace 505 aircon compressor bolts with socket head cap screws .
    Then you can do them up with "ball headed" hex key which allows an out-of-alignment with the hex and the key when removing/fitting.

con
    Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    A tip, piss off those torx head screws, replace with allen headed screws.

Just make sure they are high tensile ones... or check with your insurance company first!

con...

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

When you go to put them back in, it's worth putting a screw up from underneath and locating all the plastic bits on it and chasing it back out again with the real one from above- don't wind them up against each other though, you'll never move them if they burr inside the anchor nut.

It's also worth making sure both seat tracks are in the same notch, or only the first screw will go beck in and the rest will ignore you. The carpets shrink, and then pull sideways on the screws, making absolutly sure they won't go in. A bit of finesse with a stanley knife helps.

Bits of rubbish in the tracks can stop the seat going to full travel, which makes it impossible to access the screws.

The front screws can be removed easily and quickly by threading a long 1/4 drive extension between the plastic seat trim and the upholstry. A suitable socket on the end (5/16 from memory) will take a torx bit. It has to be assembled in place, but it's a lot easier than doing them by trying to work between the seat base and the track.

Assume 2 hours per seat to re-install.

Thread Information