• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By David Cavanagh

Thread: 308 wagon: spare wheel winch assesmbly #673504

Tadpole

Default 308 wagon: spare wheel winch assesmbly #673504

Hello everyone

My wife drives a second hand 2009 model 308 wagon. Great car!
    She recently got new tyres fitted. Firstly, the mechanics wanted to access the drop-down spare wheel and tool kit. They say the cable is slipping on the winch assembly and is unsafe for driving. Imagine accidentally dropping your spare wheel in heavy traffic. Next, the unique security nut socket is missing. So they drill out the security nuts and replace them with regular nuts. $129. Then fit tyres. $*00. Ouch!

Advertisement

Now I am trying to figure out the winch assembly unit (part #673504).

The cable seems to grind and catch as it is wound up and down. I can only get about 300mm of cable to drop out of the unit. I think it should be closer to 800mm as the picture in the manual shows the spare wheel sitting on the ground at the back of the vehicle and I assume it is dragged under the car and then up as the cable retracts.

Can someone please shed some light on this? What has happened to the winch assembly? Fix or replace? Is it safe/unsafe?

Has anyone had any similar issues?

Thanks
    Jeremy

The winch is a common problem.
    The cable gets twisted up inside.

My 307 has the same problem

Easiest to get a new assembly.
    I think they are around the $120 mark.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Easiest to get a new assembly.
    I think they are around the $120 mark.
    Thanks Roland. Can you suggest any car part websites/shops/wreckers that might carry the part.
    I don't really want to remortgage the house or sell a kidney to the local Pug dealer.

Can't say I've heard of anyone selling this part except for a dealer.

Personally, I carry my spare in the rear as I haven't replaced the cable device yet.
    Not sure I trust them anyway!
    One day, I will make a hinged frame to hold the spare in. Like a 405.

Expensive as f***k! Mine was busted before I bought my 307 with the spare in the rear (I just don't carry a spare any more). Found this on eBay in the UK, but for what it is, it's still extremely expensive!!
    Peugeot 307 AND 308 Spare Wheel Carrier Assembly 673504 Estate Models Only | eBay

Roland, if you ever get around to making that frame, please post pics!

I do not understand people failing to take charge of the lock nut issue before it bites them. If it's not there, pester the most useful dealer until you get the code and order offshore - or hit them up for a new unit. Every owner should have two. Photograph the code on the "key" head for a backup reference.

There is a beaut English tool for removing locknuts without drilling or wheel damage, that works like a cross between an impact driver and two-legged cork puller. Its sacrificial heads aren't cheap though.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    I do not understand people failing to take charge of the lock nut issue before it bites them. If it's not there, pester the most useful dealer until you get the code and order offshore - or hit them up for a new unit. Every owner should have two. Photograph the code on the "key" head for a backup reference.

There is a beaut English tool for removing locknuts without drilling or wheel damage, that works like a cross between an impact driver and two-legged cork puller. Its sacrificial heads aren't cheap though.
    First thing I did (in fact the same day I got it) was to remove the lock nuts and fit standard wheel bolts. Problem solved.

Does anyone really think someones going to steal Peugeot mag wheels?? But, if someone is, remember mines got no lock nuts.
    UFO likes this.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Someone on here had his 205GTi wheels stolen (all though I dont think they were stock peugeot items). Caught whoever it was when they tried to sell them again.

Yes, but they were Oz rims, not Peugeot ones. Still an inconvenient size for most other makes, though.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

After two years of carrying the spare wheel in the boot, I have finally gotten around to removing the spare wheel mounting mechanism.

The part number is "6735 04" and the description is "SPARE WHEEL OPENING MECHANISM". The dealer has quoted $232, which I feel is quite pricey for a component that sees such limited use that it is highly unreasonable for it to fail.

A photograph of the offending cable follows. I am going to see if I can source the appropriate bit for the end and make my own replacement, although I'm not sure that I'll be able to source one. The plastic cog that the cable seats in is also very poorly engineered, so I wouldn't be surprised if a replacement cable alone does the same thing; I will see if I can modify it so it is less likely to slip off.

Hope this helps somebody.

Fellow Frogger!

Last year my sister needed to repalce this in her 307SW. We got one from GSF in the UK. Even wth airfreight it was half the price of getting if from the local dealer.
    1999 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupe (Manual)
    1982 Porsche 944 Chassis no. 97, quite likely the oldest surviving production 944
    1978 Peugeot 504 Ti French assembled... because I need another project...
    1971 Peugeot 404 U10 ute (the love/hate vehicle. Used to love it. Now restored and I hate it)
    1930 Durant 614 coupe (Some American quality among the froggie taxis in my shed)
    1928 Renault KZ2 (the latest addition to the fleet)
    1915 Peugeot type 153A (very long term project)

Fellow Frogger!

That mongrel spare wheel arrangement on the 307 wagon was one real reason why I moved to a 308 hatch with spare in the 'well'.

The 307 wagon had a tow bar fitted and with the jack cradled inside the spare, it meant that if I had a flat on the rear...I couldn't access the jack to get the wheel off or the spare out( and of course the jack inside the plastic box!).

Not Monsieur Peugeot's best example of engineering imho.

Fellow Frogger!

I had to change a tyre today for the spare but cannot figure out how the rear wheel in my 308sw goes back !

I see how the tether goes into the box and the box into the inside of the wheel [a 17"] and that it winds in but there is no hole in the middle of wheel itself, unless the cable tether goes through the triangle hollows around the wheel ?

I am obviously missing something and the manual isn't very clear either

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by xlink_nz View Post
    I had to change a tyre today for the spare but cannot figure out how the rear wheel in my 308sw goes back !

I see how the tether goes into the box and the box into the inside of the wheel [a 17"] and that it winds in but there is no hole in the middle of wheel itself, unless the cable tether goes through the triangle hollows around the wheel ?

I am obviously missing something and the manual isn't very clear either
    update: silly me I didn't realise that the centre of the wheel had a plastic cape [with Peugeot Lion] that popped out which the tether can thread through

That said it is a silly design to get the wheel back as one has to push the wheel back under the car to centre on where the tether comes out as sometimes the anchor pops out if you use teh winch to drag it in place

Thread Information