procedure question on gearbox oil
  • Register
  • Help

Default procedure question on gearbox oil

newb question really

Why is it that I have to jack the car up and remove the front wing and all that, if i can access the drain/filler plug easily crawling under the car while its not jacked (though jacking does slightly make it easier) but nothing has to be removed. Can't i just drain it as is, then fill it as is?

It doesn't make sense unless i'm missing something. Haynes and The Peugeot 206 GTI Page say pretty much the same thing

Advertisement

It just makes it easier for newbs to remove the arch liner to get a better visual of everything. You won't fit under a 206 gti at ride height, you would have to do a ghetto gutter oil change (one side of car on foot path) to get under it. Then remember you would have to just put 2L of oil in the breather, rather than waiting for it to overflow from the filler due to angle of car.
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

Quote Originally Posted by lion5 View Post

It doesn't make sense unless i'm missing something.
    Sounds like you are missing about 50kg of lard.

I'm with you...us skinny buggers can slide under a normal car no worries. Just don't sneeze.

Jo

im not fat and theres no way I can fit under the car AND fill up the gear oil without some bruises... don't forget the crush washer.

Yeah I am skinny, i did have to remove the wheel, but really no point with the front wing and used an 80mL syringe, and just filled it up in 80mL squirts, and left the last 80mL. The oil that was in there was easily >/= 2L, it filled up a 2L pepsi bottle. And afaik, first owner/service history never changed gear oil, so this must have been straight from the factory.

Will check if its level tomorrow, can't do it in my area cause its hilly.

Yep kinroh got the crushers from Paul many months ago, only bothered to do the change now.

now... how did it feel? Not sure, i think my expectations were too high, it does shift smoother, but its not heavenly or anything like that. I got the Neo oil that was recommended here.

so all done, cheers guys

Thread Information