Radiator Options for 205
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    1000+ Posts pug-life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    1,226

    Default Radiator Options for 205

    Hey Froggers.

    Just wondering what radiators people have used for their 205 GTi's /Mi16 conversions also ??

    I read somewhere that nissan have one that is compatible.

    I found some aluminium radiators on Alibaba.com for reasonable price. Yet to hear back exact cost.

    But looks like Valeo ones which are just metal are around the $280 + GST mark.

    Preferably I want something quite slim.

    Cheers

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts PugMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,376

    Default

    I think the Nissan ones you are referring to is the European Nissen's Brand. Great quality but don't think they are in Oz yet.
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sandringham/Victoria
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Recently fitted a Hella ally core/plastic tank radiator (8MK 376 715-351) from a Sydney based distributor... just over $200.

    It was for a non A/C car so was 3mm thicker and 16 taller, but I made up some new mounting brackets to get the correct height in my Series 2. The extra capacity might be of value if you are going down the bigger HP route. I don't believe they have the A/C model in stock.

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts pug-life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Well I have/will have AC at some point. The one I've got in the car at the moment is a Ordonez, but somehow has pin prick leak from something unknown. Its not touching anything that would have caused it so im guessing manufacturing fault. It is slightly thicker than the original one which I split putting the Mi16 in (also Ordonez). Ideally Id like a slightly thinner so there isn't the chance of it hitting the inlet manifold.

    The Valeo ones are both metal. If I can get my hands on an aluminium one that would be ideal.

    So the Nissan ones. What kind of car are they off?

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Its Nissen [not Nissan as in the car ] :}
    They sell them for 205's in the UK.....but most are non air con type radiators so be careful with that one. They do sell air con items however they are more expensive.
    EAI in Melbourne had good ones on Ebay a few weeks ago....Magnetti Marelli brand for approx $240 i think.
    jr20516v

    Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]


    Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger! 1pugnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    wollongong
    Posts
    442

    Default

    On the 205 that I took you see when you came up, he used a ally one from China.
    It was brought on ebay you might not find it on Australian ebay you may need to do a would wide search.
    Very handy as you can reposintion the outlet's if you need to, and it has worked very well no over heating issues with the S16 convertion
    And it has a working a/c unit
    Regards jamie

    This would be my choice ebay item Number 251378348398
    Last edited by 1pugnut; 20th November 2013 at 07:46 PM.

    series 2 405 mi16
    205 si
    series 1 205 gti
    series 3 205 with a gti6 motor project
    1970 404 ute 504 ti motor project
    parts cars 2 205 si's 306 sedan
    2004 206 gti180

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts pug-life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jr20516v View Post
    EAI in Melbourne had good ones on Ebay a few weeks ago....Magnetti Marelli brand for approx $240 i think.
    Yeah I saw these actually. At 32mm thick its probably not a bad option either. The one I have is just a bit think with the surrounds around the radiator. The original one was thinner.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1pugnut View Post
    On the 205 that I took you see when you came up, he used a ally one from China.
    It was brought on ebay you might not find it on Australian ebay you may need to do a would wide search.
    Very handy as you can reposintion the outlet's if you need to, and it has worked very well no over heating issues with the S16 convertion
    And it has a working a/c unit
    Regards jamie

    This would be my choice ebay item Number 251378348398
    Yeah I don't mind buying form China, but it'd have to be ok. I don't wanna buy a dudd. Getting back to Aus safely would be my other concern.

    He doesn't find much difference in heat transfer being aluminium?

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! 1pugnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    wollongong
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pug-life View Post
    Yeah I saw these actually. At 32mm thick its probably not a bad option either. The one I have is just a bit think with the surrounds around the radiator. The original one was thinner.



    Yeah I don't mind buying form China, but it'd have to be ok. I don't wanna buy a dudd. Getting back to Aus safely would be my other concern.

    He doesn't find much difference in heat transfer being aluminium?
    You seen the standard of Lindsay's car, he is very particular and he is happy with his .
    It arrived in good condition. But I understand things do get damaged in transit.
    The radiator is very efficient,the cars temp stay pritty consistent in all types of driving.

    series 2 405 mi16
    205 si
    series 1 205 gti
    series 3 205 with a gti6 motor project
    1970 404 ute 504 ti motor project
    parts cars 2 205 si's 306 sedan
    2004 206 gti180

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts PugMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,376

    Default

    Not wanting to look stupid, but what is the difference between a Ac and a non Ac radiator? Is the radiator larger for an Ac car?
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Mark, i dont know about the size difference however the AC version has the extra inlets and outlet piping holes. They are always more expensive too.
    jr20516v

    Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]


    Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

  11. #11
    1000+ Posts BIGRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Rocks, Sydney
    Posts
    2,441

    Default

    My 205 16v still has the original radiator in it. If your radiator leaks (and it is an original copper one) take it to a radiator shop?
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

    Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

    "Be reasonable do it my way!"


  12. #12
    1000+ Posts PeterT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Castle Hill, Sydney
    Posts
    7,483

    Default

    yes, AC and non-AC radiators are different, only in terms of height, not fittings. My recollection is that non-A/C are shorter. Parry bought one and we had to remove the extension bars down the bottom, that tilt the radiator towards the engine, allowing the condensor to sit in front. I've been watching this thread as my 205 was sitting on 98-100 at Eastern Creek two weeks ago. I think it's because BIGRR turned up. The radiator is in perfect condition but I think the extra hp and a very hot day (36+) reached the limit. I was thinking of something custom. Any ideas?

    '92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

  13. #13
    1000+ Posts pug-life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGRR View Post
    My 205 16v still has the original radiator in it. If your radiator leaks (and it is an original copper one) take it to a radiator shop?
    Well I put a decent split in the original after not realising the A/C piping that runs down the back was stuck between the radiiator and inlet manifold. I thought had crossed my mind about getting it re-cored, but after the hassle of that it might be just worth while buying a new one. I might investigate that tomorrow anyway.

    Peter mine sits on about 90-100 normally...I think yours is working better than the current one I have.

    Copper would transfer heat better than any aluminium though wouldnt it?

    I'm leaning towards the magneti marelli one on the EAI Ebay page. At 32mm, it will allow for extra mm clearance from the inlet mani. Game of inches (mm in my case)

  14. #14
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    yes, AC and non-AC radiators are different, only in terms of height, not fittings. My recollection is that non-A/C are shorter. Parry bought one and we had to remove the extension bars down the bottom, that tilt the radiator towards the engine, allowing the condensor to sit in front. I've been watching this thread as my 205 was sitting on 98-100 at Eastern Creek two weeks ago. I think it's because BIGRR turned up. The radiator is in perfect condition but I think the extra hp and a very hot day (36+) reached the limit. I was thinking of something custom. Any ideas?
    When I did the gti6 conversion I needed to get some radiator hose extensions made up and got them custom made by PWR. While I was there I asked about a custom radiator for the 205 and they said it would be about $750 IRC. Yep, it's exy, but they make some very fine radiators!

  15. #15
    Fellow Frogger! chez00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    567

    Default

    Just bought a valeo for my mi16 conversion, see how it goes. I thought in the end I'd rather closer to OEM than aluminium/plastic. Same sort of price as the EAI option.
    1988 205 GTi XU10J4
    2001 406 Monaco 5sp V6

  16. #16
    1000+ Posts pug-life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chez00 View Post
    Just bought a valeo for my mi16 conversion, see how it goes. I thought in the end I'd rather closer to OEM than aluminium/plastic. Same sort of price as the EAI option.
    Yeah I might do the the same. $280 + GST approx? Are the the same radiator as the 205? Just went down to see the radiator fellow, and he said to get mine recored would be quite expensive, also being a two row. He said the Valeo ones are quite good and not too bad of a price.

  17. #17
    Fellow Frogger! chez00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    567

    Default

    Call caravelle - they sold me one cheaper than that but it may have been trade price so I don't want to put words in their mouth.
    1988 205 GTi XU10J4
    2001 406 Monaco 5sp V6

  18. #18
    1000+ Posts pug-life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    I just read a F/S thread from a while back. MICAH sold his Valeo one as he required the 309 GTi one, as they are thinner?.

    I'm a little confused with the A/C and NON A/C radiators myself. Of all the radiators ive had the've just had top and bottom hose and the overflow to the bottle. The A/C condenser piping goes over the top and down the back to the compressor and thats about it.

    Whats the thinnest they do? Im leaning towards that magneti one.

  19. #19
    Fellow Frogger! chez00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    567

    Default

    I'm unsure. I'm doing an xu10j4 swap which seem to have less clearance issues than xu9j4. If I need I will just lower the rad mounts the minimum required.
    1988 205 GTi XU10J4
    2001 406 Monaco 5sp V6

  20. #20
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sandringham/Victoria
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pug-life View Post
    I just read a F/S thread from a while back. MICAH sold his Valeo one as he required the 309 GTi one, as they are thinner?.

    I'm a little confused with the A/C and NON A/C radiators myself. Of all the radiators ive had the've just had top and bottom hose and the overflow to the bottle. The A/C condenser piping goes over the top and down the back to the compressor and thats about it.

    Whats the thinnest they do? Im leaning towards that magneti one.
    FWIW, here are the specs for the Hella units.

    With A/C 610 x 270 x 33
    Radiator, engine cooling for Peugeot 205 of Hella 8MK 376 716-131 - rexbo.eu
    BEHR HELLA SERVICE 8MK 376 716-131 (8MK376716131) Radiator, engine cooling

    Without A/C 610 x 286 x 36
    Radiator, engine cooling for Peugeot 205 of Hella 8MK 376 715-351 - rexbo.eu
    BEHR HELLA SERVICE 8MK 376 715-351 (8MK376715351) Radiator, engine cooling

    (Note this doesn't have a filler cap on the top, but has a nice accessible captive drain plug)


    EAI are quoting the Magnetic Marelli as 610 x 265 x 32.

  21. #21
    1000+ Posts pug-life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ng850 View Post
    FWIW, here are the specs for the Hella units.

    With A/C 610 x 270 x 33
    Radiator, engine cooling for Peugeot 205 of Hella 8MK 376 716-131 - rexbo.eu
    BEHR HELLA SERVICE 8MK 376 716-131 (8MK376716131) Radiator, engine cooling

    Without A/C 610 x 286 x 36
    Radiator, engine cooling for Peugeot 205 of Hella 8MK 376 715-351 - rexbo.eu
    BEHR HELLA SERVICE 8MK 376 715-351 (8MK376715351) Radiator, engine cooling

    (Note this doesn't have a filler cap on the top, but has a nice accessible captive drain plug)


    EAI are quoting the Magnetic Marelli as 610 x 265 x 32.
    Thanks for the info mate!
    That puts it all in perspective.
    I said there was mm's in it...apparently 3mm. HA!

    It's also very noticeable on my current radiator (ordonez non A/C) the height. The bonnet latch touches the top.
    I think ill invest in the valeo or magneti.

    Thanks everyone for the input!

  22. #22
    1000+ Posts FIVEDOOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brisbane Qld
    Posts
    20,553

    Default

    I had my original (AC) radiator re-cored. I was told the original was dual core and it was redone in triple core (so I was told). Very tight fit on install but worked fine on standard S1 8v 1900. From memory the cost was around $500 - $600 mark.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •