1975 Peugeot 504 Fuel Pump
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon8 1975 Peugeot 504 Fuel Pump

Hello everybody,

I recently purchased a european model Peugeot 1975 504 Ti which was imported from Germany in 2008 by the guy who I bought it from recently. It needed much TLC so I undertook the task of restoring it. All went well till the Kugel Fisher fuel injection pump stopped being friendly. Have cleaned the filters on the pump, checked the fuel lines etc, all seem to be in order. I don't have a clue of this type of pump and neither does the Peugeot shop. The pump works when it wants to and suddenly stops and engine wont turn over.

Any suggestions of what I can do to get it going will be highly appreciated. Unfortunately nobody services these pumps. The only lead I got was that the 2002 BMW Ti came with these pumps, repair shops who do the service on the bimmers wont have it.

I saw something on the old posts about these pumps but cannot find it again.

Advertisement

Thanks in advance
    Imran

You say the engine wont turn over .Are you sure the pump is the problem and not electrical woes?

VIP Sponsor

The BMW 2002Tii had Kugelfischer pumps, the 2002 Ti was a carby model.
    However, they don't look like the Peugeot pumps.
    Check the filter underneath the car at the tank, these are very prone to being blocked.
    Why do you think the pump is at fault?

Quote Originally Posted by imran2 View Post
    Hello everybody,

I recently purchased a european model Peugeot 1975 504 Ti which was imported from Germany in 2008 by the guy who I bought it from recently. It needed much TLC so I undertook the task of restoring it. All went well till the Kugel Fisher fuel injection pump stopped being friendly. Have cleaned the filters on the pump, checked the fuel lines etc, all seem to be in order. I don't have a clue of this type of pump and neither does the Peugeot shop. The pump works when it wants to and suddenly stops and engine wont turn over.

Any suggestions of what I can do to get it going will be highly appreciated. Unfortunately nobody services these pumps. The only lead I got was that the 2002 BMW Ti came with these pumps, repair shops who do the service on the bimmers wont have it.

I saw something on the old posts about these pumps but cannot find it again.

Thanks in advance
    Imran

Tadpole

Thanks guys. I have a new pump and filter. The engine wont turn over due to no fuel, confirmed and checked the electrical, its is good order.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by imran2 View Post
    Thanks guys. I have a new pump and filter. The engine wont turn over due to no fuel, confirmed and checked the electrical, its is good order.
    Just to clarify, when you say the engine "won't turn over" do you mean it won't start, or won't spin? Normally saying it won't turn over makes us think it does nothing at all. I assume it spins but doesn't start?

If it will spin then you move on to the fuel issue. It would be really good if you were able to check fuel pressure. You say you "have a new pump and filter" but many of the pumps in other injected cars don't deliver the pressure the Kugelfischer needs.

You also say you cleaned the filters at the injection pump. I assume you mean those on the sucction valves in the bottom. If so you may need to bleed the pump to get fuel passing through to the injectors again. Sometimes you can just do this by cracking the injector pipes at the injectors but you may need to release the delivery valves in the top of the pump.

Sounds like you need to spend some time searching for a Kugelfischer workshop manual online so you have the procedures for things like this.

Often a lot of patience is needed to sort out a ti with an issue. Don't be tempted to touch the main pump setting including those under the dome on the top. This will send everything askew and if the car ran before these are unlikley to be too far out (asumming things like the diaphragms are in tact).

Happy hunting.

Cheers

Jim

Thread Information