205 gti engine vibration & ride height
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 205 gti engine vibration & ride height

Hey there,

I've finally got the green light from the mrs to get my beloved 205 GTI back to its former glory. Working through the key issues in order of priority are:

1. Engine vibration - I recently replaced the LH & RH engine mounts, and have observed significant vibration from the engine. However when the clutch is depressed, the body vibration ceases - I'm guessing the tightening of the clutch cable is somehow steadying the engine vibration. I'm yet to replace the rear engine mount (I tightened the clutch cable, but the car vibration persists). Suggestions welcome.

2. Ride height - the ride height on the LH side of the car is significantly higher than the RH side. The shocks have never been replaced in the car. Thoughts as to the best way to resolve this?

Advertisement

3. Power steering fluid leak from centre of car behind front wheels - Hopefully this is just a host/connector and nothing more - steering is fine when fluid is topped up.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance...

Check/replace bottom engine mount too. Vibration of this engine given it's E-W, will rock the engine fore-aft, so LH and RH mounts won't stop that but provide an axis around which the engine is still free to vibrate. If that doesn't cure it, check ignition timing and plugs. Actually do it anyway.

Perhaps some inspection and basic observations/detail info would help, but just to cover the basics, here goes:

Swap springs around (no, really). You might see something obvious when you take them out or you may not. Either way, if you swap them around and nothing changes, it's not the springs. Check sway bar/links/bushings. Check state of rear beam, might have some nasty surprises there. How's the ride height on the rear? Wheels camber too much? Rear wheels to wheelarch clearance equal fore and aft, left and right?
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 19th November 2013 at 07:09 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Tadpole

Thanks will inspect the springs and general state behind.

Tadpole

Does the engine need to be supported when replacing rear engine mount? I would have thought not, if LH/RH engine mounts are holding it up?

Do might be an idea to get a jack under it to help support. It can get on a good angle and prove hard to move back into place.

The top engine mount is known to crack apart from age. Its the underneath section that connects to the chassis. This may be your problem as the engine can rub on the chassis leg.

The different ride heights will probably be the rear trailing arm bearings. Or worse its seized.
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Thread Information