Incorrect oil filter fitment consequences on the 1.6 HDi engine ?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Incorrect oil filter fitment consequences on the 1.6 HDi engine ?

Hi chaps,

Just realized that my oil filter was incorrectly fitted for at least 5000km's...

For all of you that know, the oil filter for this is engine has the most awkward design and fitting technique.
    Apparently the filter itself, has a tube on it, that should be inserted in a hole inside the block housing and only then you should screw the filter housing on !!

Needless to the say, the last time i changed the oil, i just inserted the filter in the filter housing and screwed it on, without getting the filter tube inside the hole ( notice the major design flaw, it screwed on perfectly even so).

I noticed that the engine became a bit noisier and less refined than it used to be, even before the oil change I have done, and i would suspect, the garage shop that has done the prior change, did the same mistake ....

Anyone know what the tube on the filter is for and why it should be inserted in the hole ?

Thanks,
    Alex

Incorrect oil filter fitment consequences on the 1.6 HDi engine ?-p1080242x.jpgIncorrect oil filter fitment consequences on the 1.6 HDi engine ?-p1080241x.jpg

Advertisement
    Last edited by alex2jz; 18th November 2013 at 10:14 PM.

Worst case is that the engine 'blows up'. Correctly replace the filter and change the oil NOW and at 500 km and 1000 km intervals using an oil flush out treatment. If it gets better shrug your shoulders and go get a nice coffee, if it blows up shrug your shoulders and go get a strong drink!
    Brendan.

Tadpole

Thanks for the answer Brendan, even though it wasn't very comforting

Why would the engine blow up though ? And what is exactly the purpose of that tube on the filter that goes into the hole on the engine block ? I mean this mistake can really happen to anyone, the tube in the hole thing can't be that critical, as we would of seen a lot of HDI's, blown up.

Oil and filter HAVE been changed, as well as the correct filter installation. Old oil\filter looked normal.

Thanks again,
    Alex

I don't know what the tube is for, but probably just means the filter wasn't working at 100% and vary little harm done.

Can you see any oil pipe's coming off the filter housing, that might give you a clue about what its for. Maybe it goes to the turbo?

1000+ Posts

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by gromzx View Post
    I don't know what the tube is for, but probably just means the filter wasn't working at 100% and vary little harm done.

Can you see any oil pipe's coming off the filter housing, that might give you a clue about what its for. Maybe it goes to the turbo?
    There are no oil pipes coming off the filter housing and the tube on the oil filter is actually more of a spigot ( it's solid and closed, no oil can circulate through it).

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    I've seen that turbo failure is a big problem on this engine. No signs for me, YET

It could be the drain port, that allows the filter housing to drain back to the sump when the top is opened.
    Or it could be nothing.

ether way, if you didn't see any oil presser warning, then it probably means the oil wasn't filtered 100% and not much harm done.

Thread Information