306 Convert roof. Where to replace in ACT?
  • Register
  • Help

Default 306 Convert roof. Where to replace in ACT?

Hey all. I am trying to chase a convertible roof for a 306. Anyone know of a wrecker or somewhere that can fix convertible roofs located in Canberra? Thanks

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Default cabriolet roof

You haven't said what is wrong with your roof a bit more info from you would help.
    Is the Mechanism broken?
    Is the fabric a problem?

The fabric has given up the ghost. I have been told that there is a outer layer and a inner layer. Is that correct?

You can get a quote from European Trimming Co in UK .They make them to suit most European convertibles and you have a choice of colours .Mine cost me $900 delivered here ,about half the quote for having one made here.

Most secondhand tops will have some wear & need a new window. For a new top try www.convertibletops.com.au & www.softtopsonline.com.au for repairs you can have a new section sewn over the damaged area, any motor trimmer in your area should do this
    regards
    Brian
    2008 ford Mondeo 2ltr turbo diesel + 6 speed alsin g/box
    1979 cx c-matic
    1977 cx 5 speed
    2000 peugeot 306 convertable
    1978 peugeot 604 sl
    2005 c5 (wrecking)
    2003 c5 auto (wrecking)
    2001 c5 5 speed
    1960 Renault floride under restoration

Tadpole

Hello fellow ACT 306 Cab owner

My Cab had a rough but basically sound roof. As the car itself is not worth much I decided against a new roof. I checked a couple of trimmers around town re repairs but they all talked new roofs. I picked up some Revivo products from Latin Motors in Fyshwick - a cleaner, re-colour (blue) and sealer. It takes a few days and some elbow grease but brings the roof up well. There are some views that this process shrinks the roof putting stress on the frame and joints but this has not been the case. They also sell a product that restores the vinyl window (mine has a small split that does not leak). I have also taken out all the hydraulics and electrical controls for the roof. Judging by the invoices that came with the car it played up from new and there was hydraulic fluid stains on the roof from previous leaks. Once I got the the process right I can put the roof up and down by myself in well under a minute.

Good luck with it and I'll see you on the road

DS

Hello from another ACT 306 Cab owner! (Sounds like we need to get together! )

I've just received a new roof (material and window) from the UK. With delivery, I think the final cost is about $750. (Will know for sure when I see my account).

The roof looks good and has the appearance at this stage of being quite well made. I had been planning on fitting it myself but one look at the 'instructions' (truly pitiful!) and I'm more likely to hunt down someone to fit it for me. (Will youtube it and check out my practical classics mags first though - just in case...).

Hope this helps.

Tony
    (Ainslie)
    2014 Peugeot 208GTi
    2015 Peugeot 308 Allure Premium Touring
    1982 Alfa Romeo GTV

Previous Frogs: 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; 1996 Peugeot 406ST, 1991 Peugeot 205Si, 2005 Citroen C2 VTR, 1984 Renault Fuego GTX, 1985 Renault Fuego GTX.

(Previous Bulldogs: 1974 Jaguar XJ6; 1988 Jaguar XJ-S, 1974 Jaguar XJ6, Rover P6 (X6))

Quote Originally Posted by Valentia View Post
    The fabric has given up the ghost. I have been told that there is a outer layer and a inner layer. Is that correct?
    Yep, body colour or black 'canvas' on the outside and the black felt interior layer. The replacement I mentioned above is mohair. When ordering, you have the choice of black or beige interior.

Tony.
    2014 Peugeot 208GTi
    1982 Alfa Romeo GTV

Previous Frogs: 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; 1996 Peugeot 406ST, 1991 Peugeot 205Si, 2005 Citroen C2 VTR, 1984 Renault Fuego GTX, 1985 Renault Fuego GTX.

(Previous Bulldogs: 1974 Jaguar XJ6; 1988 Jaguar XJ-S, 1974 Jaguar XJ6, Rover P6 (X6))

And while we're on the topic - can anyone recommend, from experience, a trimmer in Canberra who would fit my new roof I've bought without grumbling and moaning about it? A colleague was in a similar position with a soft top he decided was too tricky for him. When he was ringing around to find someone he got all sorts of unhelpful responses and or exorbitant quotes. I'm after someone helpful and good.

again,

Tony.
    2014 Peugeot 208GTi
    1982 Alfa Romeo GTV

Thread Information