02 406 HDI a/c fan not working
  • Register
  • Help

Default 02 406 HDI a/c fan not working

I haven't been on here for a long time - so that says something for the reliability of the car! But i have an intermittent problem with our climate control air conditioning. Particularly when it is hot the fan just stops working, although all the lights etc on the dash seem fine and i have checked and the a/c compressor clutch is still in. I had a suggestion that it could be this control unit that you access under the dash from the passenger footwell, so i purchased a second hand one to give that a go. It seemed fine but it was winter and now we have had a few warmer days it is not working when you need it. Of course the second hand unit could have also been stuffed, but i wondered if there are any tricks or tests that could be applied to this unit or anything else. I had wondered about running a separate switch directly to the fan motor. Quite frankly if I purchased the car new and had an option of not having climate control, even at a greater cost i would have chosen it! If i am hot i can turn a'c on, and if i am cold i can turn a heater on - don't need a computer that can go wrong to work that one out for me!

Advertisement

Any help appreciated. One of those jobs i haven't pursued and realised i am heading up to Roxby with my kids next week to do some volunteer work and the forecast is for 31 or something in Adelaide.

probably most likely the ignition switch. In particular the wire plug directly behind the switch. the terminals within stop making contact. Most common fix is run an after market relay giving power straight to the fan.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Thanks for that. You don't know what relay off the top of your head? 10 amp? Then a power wire from fusebox somewhere or straight from battery with inline fuse? Then if the ignition switch bit is the problem, does that mean that the contact is a problem before the switch? If i dismantle the dash I am guessing i need to run an ignition switch active wire (radio perhaps) to one side of the switch and then off to the relay - Or have others just put in a new switch somewhere? I am not too worried about aesthetics etc - this car is a keeper until one of us dies!

This has been a problem for over a year and then today my wife drove the car and needed rescuing because the ignition switch was stuck in the on position and couldn't turn the key from there. So I sprayed inox in there and messed about but it seemed rock solid and didn't want to break the key off. Eventually I got the lock out after a bit of research and it is nothing to do with the key - be rotating part in the plug was locked solid! I have to use the car tomorrow so i am trying to work out the wiring so i can 'hotwire' it to get the starter motor to turn and then leave it locked in the on position. Will just remove a battery lead when stopped.

But now given this is a known problem area anyway i will buy a new one. Anyone know of a good supplier of that switch/loom?

I might do another thread with clearer title, but just in case it helps someone else - i went to upullit and got one off a 306 and had different plugs and even slightly different plastic body, but too a risk because the rotating part looked the same. I clipped off the plastic cover and put the round moving part in - checked with multimeter and all works perfectly. And instantly noticeable was that the A/C was fixed. Ran around last few days and hasn't missed a beat. I have a new problem though that i will put in another thread.

To help me to get it apart i found this very helpful from youtube -

Key Barrel, Stalks, Steering Wheel and Clock Spring Removal - YouTube

Thread Information