205s in the UK - still!
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205s in the UK - still!

Just thought I'd share an observation I made over the last few weeks and 2200 miles driving around the UK. There are still so many run-of-the-mill 205s (mostly diesels) doing service over there! The interesting perspective is that the majority of traffic seems to be from the last decade with a sharp tapering off of numbers of cars running around that are, say, ten to fifteen years old. I saw very, very few eighties cars and of those that I did see - 205s were overwhelmingly over-represented. So well done to the 205!

Advertisement

cheers,

Tony.
    2014 Peugeot 208GTi
    2015 Peugeot 308 Allure Premium Touring
    1982 Alfa Romeo GTV

Previous Frogs: 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; 1996 Peugeot 406ST, 1991 Peugeot 205Si, 2005 Citroen C2 VTR, 1984 Renault Fuego GTX, 1985 Renault Fuego GTX.

(Previous Bulldogs: 1974 Jaguar XJ6; 1988 Jaguar XJ-S, 1974 Jaguar XJ6, Rover P6 (X6))

You should see how many are in france still!! I think there wer e still produced there until 1998!

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

When I was there around 2 years back, there was still a healthy count of 205s on the roads in France. Also, plenty of 405s and BXs.

The further south in France you go, the less chance of them salting the roads. Hence why cars last longer in some countries as opposed to others. In the UK, I saw a 56 plate Sprinter van with rotten out wheel arches and corrosion on the sills - something you'd never see here in Australia...
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

VIP Sponsor

Not that many in Paris or Lyon but quite a few in Tours, a University town, so students cars I guess.
    Also quite a few in Alsace region including other makes of older car.
    There are actually a lot more 106s and Saxos around, particularly in Greece.

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED View Post
    When I was there around 2 years back, there was still a healthy count of 205s on the roads in France. Also, plenty of 405s and BXs.

The further south in France you go, the less chance of them salting the roads. Hence why cars last longer in some countries as opposed to others. In the UK, I saw a 56 plate Sprinter van with rotten out wheel arches and corrosion on the sills - something you'd never see here in Australia...

I was in france for a month and saw very few 205 GTI's. 3 to be exact... 3! I see more cruising around Canberra.

the scrappage scheme killed a lot of half decent runners and were traded on Hyundai i20's etc. You got $1000 off list price and also claimed $1000 ($ = quid) from the government. If you're sitting there, in austerity Britain, with a 1992 Vauxhall Omega worth $500, "you'd be mad" not to have got involved, so off to the scrap heap perfectly serviceable cars went.

check out How Many Left? and look at any car you like

Fellow Frogger!

it's not really rust that is killing 10 to 15 year old cars anymore in the UK (well not Peugeots anyway); it's the high cost of labour and parts vs the low value of the cars.

Not many 10-15 year old cars are worth more than 500, but garage rates in London are 70 - 80 per hour (from an independant) and over 100 from any main dealer.

Any major mechanical failure, even a worn out clutch, is more expensive to repair than to just go and buy another.

After my recent 16month world traveling trip, I think that Morocco takes the cake for the amount of 205's.
    Every second car was a 205. That said, not one of those was a Gti though.
    Renault Sport Clio 182 Cup F1 - FRB
    Renault Sport Clio 182 Cup - Arctic Blue - Sold
    Peugeot 205 MI16 - Sorrento Green - Sold

Thread Information