306 Timing Belt Renewal
  • Register
  • Help

Default 306 Timing Belt Renewal

Havlng just bought a 1997 306XL with 180,000 on the clock and no record when the timing belt was last done, I think it wise practice to replace it. Looking at the likely cost, I seriously wonder if I could have a go at it. But for an average DIY mechanic, just how difficult is it? Haynes tells you how, but then says to go to a Peugeot place to have the tension checked. Would it be wiser then to put it in the hands of a Peugeot mechanic? I would be interested in any comments.

Advertisement

SOHC motor? You should be fine. Absolutely make sure to fit a new crank pulley if it's the rubber sandwich type.

If the belt sounds like a Rootes blower when finished, you're too tight.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterR View Post
    Havlng just bought a 1997 306XL with 180,000 on the clock and no record when the timing belt was last done, I think it wise practice to replace it. Looking at the likely cost, I seriously wonder if I could have a go at it. But for an average DIY mechanic, just how difficult is it? Haynes tells you how, but then says to go to a Peugeot place to have the tension checked. Would it be wiser then to put it in the hands of a Peugeot mechanic? I would be interested in any comments.
    I asked this very question earlier in the year re my 99 2 litre 306 cab. The book says how to do it then drops in the 'special tool' needed for tensioning. Obviously there are people out there with ways to do it themselves (search for the thread), but for my case I got it done for my own piece of mind. Didn't cost much, from memory, but I'll have to look it up when I get home. (Currently in Sydney airport waiting for my last flight home after a 40 hour marathon that started in Edinburgh!).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Tony.
    2014 Peugeot 208GTi
    2015 Peugeot 308 Allure Premium Touring
    1982 Alfa Romeo GTV

Previous Frogs: 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; 1996 Peugeot 406ST, 1991 Peugeot 205Si, 2005 Citroen C2 VTR, 1984 Renault Fuego GTX, 1985 Renault Fuego GTX.

(Previous Bulldogs: 1974 Jaguar XJ6; 1988 Jaguar XJ-S, 1974 Jaguar XJ6, Rover P6 (X6))

Quote Originally Posted by BlackC2 View Post
    I asked this very question earlier in the year re my 99 2 litre 306 cab. The book says how to do it then drops in the 'special tool' needed for tensioning. Obviously there are people out there with ways to do it themselves (search for the thread), but for my case I got it done for my own piece of mind. Didn't cost much, from memory, but I'll have to look it up when I get home. (Currently in Sydney airport waiting for my last flight home after a 40 hour marathon that started in Edinburgh!).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Tony.
    Easiest way to tension the belt is to twist it 90 degrees between the two furthest pulleys. If you can twist it 90 degrees (use a bit of effort but only with your fingers) it's perfect. If it doesn't make it it's to tight. If it goes too far, to lose. Easy!

Via the aussiefrogs App
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Many thanks for sharing this info. It has been very helpful and perhaps I could have a go! One thing has happened since I posted this thread! I was able to get the motor company that did the last recorded services to tell me when the timing belt was replaced and I have 20,000 km to go before it needs doing. I breathe a sigh of relief!

Fellow Frogger!

if it's more than 4 years regardless of kms get it done now - interference engines do not like belts snapping and valves meeting pistons

ALW

A Peugeot mechanic has told me that the XSI is a more complex job than the other models: is this the case?

Same as any other twin cam iron block Peugeot.

Budget for a new crank pulley as it's crucial to setting the timing correctly during the belt change.

After taking a calculated brisk in driving from Sydney to Melbourne, distance of 933 kms, and before embarking on the Spirit of Tasmania all went well. On arrival, before driving to Hobart, I had the cam belt replaced by a good Peugeot enthusiast and mechanic. According to all records kept for this vehicle, I have concluded that it has travelled 96,000 km since the last replacement. On examination, the belt was still "good", no cracks, shiny on the outside surface. You can draw your own conclusion about the required time interval, but perhaps the facts will be of some interest.

Fellow Frogger!

Replacing the belt before it is due and doing all the preventative tasks at that time is insurance.
    As is checking the gearbox oil level
    Peugeot engines are very reliable , so reliable it causes many owners to neglect the cars.

Late model Alfa cars have the same problems with owners neglecting them, many snapped belts.
    i

1000+ Posts

I took my daughters 306 over to a mate's for him to replace the timing belt etc yesterday. It's done 188,000 km so I'm guessing it may be around 28,000 overdue.
    Things have been exceptionally tight financially recently so the cost has been prohibitive until now.
    This car has a speedo drive gremlin (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - all in the same trip), so I'm not sure whether the mileage is accurate.
    Anyway I reckon that she's been lucky. The motor is very quiet and the car drives well, and it would have been a shame if it had ended up with bent valves, which would have been a disaster financially.
    The next thing is to sort out the paint on the roof and other bodywork repairs. Perhaps after the next tax refund!
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Thread Information