CD Changer port
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: CD Changer port

Tadpole

Default CD Changer port

Hey guys,
    I bought a usb adaptor for my car so i can play mp3s from my usb.
    It plugs into the cd changer port at the back of the head unit but it doesn't seem to work.
    I think because the cd changer isn't activated.
    Called up peugeot dealer to see if they could enable it and they quoted $170. (told them they were dreamin)
    Any ideas on how i can get this usb adaptor to work?
    Ebay link : Peugeot 206 307 3008 607 807 406 407SW USB Adapter Interface CTAPGUSB010 RD3 AUX | eBay
    Thanks

Advertisement

Tadpole

You need "Peugeot Planet 2000" software and cable to enable the setting. It literally takes 5 mins (well did on my 307) so $170 is a bit rich. What model Peugeot is it? My cable works on my 307 but didn't work on a 206 I tried it on (chinese clone cable).

Just looking at the Bay of E (eBay), I found the following device, which costs approx what the dealer wanted to charge you, but you get to keep it and use it for many other purposes... Anybody have an opinion as to whether the included software with this package (Lexia3 Peugeot Planet, Proxia, Diagbox) is any good? They do offer a 14 day refund if you're not happy...

Lexia 3 Citroen Peugeot Diagnostic Interface | eBay

Tadpole

Yeah that is what I have - a chinese clone of the peugeot cable and cracked software (yes the CD that comes with it includes the key gen). I paid $100 shipped from Hong Kong, the only thing to watch for is that some of the cables don't do the 307 but that is usually in the description for the ad.

They're good value, the clones. The 30 pin connectors are dodgy; you are better off making your own with a recycled 30-pin plug and aftermarket OBD port. The 16-pin connector is usually decent enough, there is a lot written about reflashing to work with Diag; I think some vendors may now do this prior to sale.

I don't think $170 is unreasonable for a workshop; one presumes they carry the (reasonable) risk for that sum. A mobile Lexia/PP service is one of my activities and the first hour is $140+, contingent either upon the customer's preferred result being obtained or a demonstrated reason that outcome cannot be had, shown.

What was unreasonable (IMO) was a well known Sydney Pug dealer telling a customer that to obtain the secure code for their 207, they had to pay for a service booking and take it up.

I'm planning on doing the same thing you did. The ebay sellers are all weird, they said message to enquire if theirs will work on your car. I asked if their units (all exactly the same, just different by $1 or $2 dollars) worked on the 206. 6 out of the 7 said no, one said yes and I bought off them incase it didn't work so I could claim eBay insurance.

Anyway so it arrived 2 days ago, I just need a laptop with windows before i start. I have to do the exact same thing you do.

I've had comms issues with a late 407 V6 injection ECU (probably not an issue if you run Diag), otherwise generally can't see why you should have problems. 206 isn't that far from a Series 2 Berlingo and they talk fine with Lexia.

You do need a decent amount of RAM to download the fault log, otherwise it may take forever or just freeze up.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by lion5 View Post
    I'm planning on doing the same thing you did. The ebay sellers are all weird, they said message to enquire if theirs will work on your car. I asked if their units (all exactly the same, just different by $1 or $2 dollars) worked on the 206. 6 out of the 7 said no, one said yes and I bought off them incase it didn't work so I could claim eBay insurance.

Anyway so it arrived 2 days ago, I just need a laptop with windows before i start. I have to do the exact same thing you do.
    The software will only run in WinXP so assuming you have Win7 you need to run XP in a virtual machine.
    MS offers a free all-in-one download called 'XP mode' that will setup an XP Virtual machine in a few minutes (500MB download takes the longest of the whole setup).

Windows XP Mode - Microsoft Windows

Quote Originally Posted by ae86levin View Post
    The software will only run in WinXP so assuming you have Win7 you need to run XP in a virtual machine.
    MS offers a free all-in-one download called 'XP mode' that will setup an XP Virtual machine in a few minutes (500MB download takes the longest of the whole setup).

Windows XP Mode - Microsoft Windows
    regrettfully i sold my lenovo x61 for a ShitBook Air (TM). Gonna try use another laptop running 7. I know if I run a VM on the iShit OSX i might face a whole barrage of other problems.

Quote Originally Posted by lion5 View Post
    regrettfully i sold my lenovo x61 for a ShitBook Air (TM). Gonna try use another laptop running 7. I know if I run a VM on the iShit OSX i might face a whole barrage of other problems.
    It should work well. We use "Parallels" software on the Apples at work to run Windows 7, and we've yet to come across a problem.
    1975 Peugeot 504 GL | 2018 Suzuki Swift GLX Turbo

Finally got parallels and pp2000 running, they work pretty well. Thanks for that.

CD Changer port-fittingdiscs.png'''Now i have a problem actually enabling the CD changer, i've tried going into pp2000 and enabling the Fitting Discs option under CD-Player, but that didn't work. The reader does work, it seems to read my ECU and talk to everything else.

Where abouts am I meant to enable it? I selected a 206-Mux as my 206

Just googled around found this from PeugeotForums, will give it a shot

Test by ECU > BSI > Configuration > ECUs Present > Radio

-- Update

Ok well after going there it said that the CD Changer was already enabled. So i disabled it, saved, then went and enabled it again, but still doesn't work - what now?

Last edited by lion5; 17th November 2013 at 10:48 AM.

Ok so the errors im getting are:
    Multifunction Display:
    Permanent Fault. Absensce of Communication with the CD Changer
    Now this is with the Blaupunkt inserted, with the end of it connected to a device playing music

also another error which doesn't make sense because the CD Player works fine:
    CD Changer port-screen-shot-2013-11-18-8.03.11-pm.jpg

They're pretty common "phantom faults". If it is all now working, don't sweat.

If it isn't, see if you also can communicate with the radio ECU (it looks from the screenshot like you can) and see whether there is an enablement there.

Is your CD unit factory?

oh i think i know why

the blaupunkt thing I got doesn't seem to have that resistor that you guys were talking about in the other thread. I assumed it would have for some stupid reason, but every time I looked at it, it looked like a barebones connector

http://i15.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/3b/90/f729_35.JPG

my plug looks like that. I'll muck around with the correct impedance over the weekend then if that fails then new deck it is.

Yes, that looks like a passive adaptor.

ok well that didn't work. Tried a 100 ohm and ~2km resistor based on that image in the previous thread and it still didn't work.
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~digitalr...ages/cable.gif

So I gave up.

Found this pdf online

http://www.c5club.cz/files/pdf/rd3pinout.pdf

if this is correct, then the original resistor gif doesn't make much sense, because in that one they connect a VAN Bus pin and Ground via some resistance

So i had a look online what this VAN business all meant, and it's basically the way Peugeot saved money on wiring by muxing everything together [http://graham.auld.me.uk/projects/vanbus/index.html].

The '+Van' is just a power line and no information actually exists in this line. This cool guy online decrypted some of the VAN, and got his pioneer head unit talking to the steering wheel vol control.
    VAN Bus Interfacing

So i think the solution might be a little more complex than just adding some impedance between a data bus and ground? maybe something else, in between the + VAN and the VAN Data and VAN Data B and Gnd ... but I have no idea.

I might shoot him an email and see where I go
    Last edited by lion5; 19th November 2013 at 09:15 PM.

Good luck lion5. You've already gone beyond what most of us are willing/able to try. I am monitoring this thread!!

Spoke to an EE at my work, he said it can be as simple as doing the resistor trick.

So i'll muck around with it some more

Tadpole

I followed this guide for my 307:
    Wool 100%: DIY: Add Auxiliary Port to Blaupunkt RD4

It worked but the results weren't amazing - fairly low level volume.
    To be honest I am thinking of getting an adaptor cable that will allow the center console display and steering wheel stalk to talk to an after market headunit and ditching the stock one.
    This is an example cable:

PC99 X87 Peugeot 307 2005 2007 Steering Stalk Control Adaptor Patch Lead | eBay

odd how it's low volume... have you checked that everything is grounded properly? If they're fine, you could buy a little pre-amp powered by a 12V battery or even configure that your 12V mains.

the x07 models differ from 206 cause yours is just a SOURCE button, its as if its already hard-wired to take just a standard L,R, Gnd signal, no fkn around with the VAN data crap, while the 206 is cheating it into thinking a CD Changer is plugged in.

Anyway so i went back and had a look at the wiring. I've mentioned this in the other thread but i'll throw it in here. When taking out my head unit I already noticed a connecter plugged into the CD Changer slot.. with actual wires going into it. I have no idea where the end of those wires are, maybe to wherever the CD Changer usually goes? Perhaps coming out of the factory they make it easier for the user to install a CD Changer, without doing any re-writing, just slotting the thing in. (I checked the boot/glove box but i don't see any obvious free plug anyone know where else it could go?)

Anyway so the odd thing is that the voltages (ref to chassis gnd)
    +VAN
    VAN Data Bus
    VAN Data Bus B
    had the same voltages as the Power/Control wiring (the Black connector from the pdf http://www.c5club.cz/files/pdf/rd3pinout.pdf)

VAN+ was +12 V
    VAN was +3.96 V
    Van B was + 1.05 V
    all ref to chassis ground.

This is sort of helpful as it saves me the effort of shorting some of the Black connector ends onto a modified CD Changer port.

The R/L/Gnd signal on the Blue connector that car came with was reading 2V and 0.8V.

A general question, when you press the CD Changer Button, does it show anything on the main screen? like what sort of feedback do you get when you press that button "CD Changer Slot 1, Track 1" or something?

It's funny coz I'd just been independently wondering if I could hack the changer port under the drivers seat in my 06 c5 to enable aux input and I found this thread by chance. ...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Got a response from Graham owner of this site the other week VAN Bus Interfacing

I'm not convinced by the idea of pulling one pin of the VAN bus down to ground to convince the head unit a CDchanger is connected. Logically however there's no reason the manifacturer couldn't setup the CDchanger port to look for the VAN bus being held low in order to setup the port as a aux input.

Having said that, on the head unit from my car has the VAN pins on the CDchanger, sat nav and main power input all directly linked internally so pulling one of the VAN pins to ground affects ALL devices on the comfort VAN (nav, cd, radio, radio remote stalk, dash display, parts of the main instruments etc)

VAN is a differential bus using two lines (one is the inverse of the other - typically VAN B) - it can survive one line being broken but comms are less reliable and will log a fault code in the BSI.

My money is on the resistor trick not working on this particular unit, you'll probably need to emulate the data of a CDchanger in order to get audio input turned on. (Although it's probably easier to simulate the NAV unit - it's audio input overrides all other inputs handily and you don't need to send data for the display re track number etc)

Of course there could be a version of this head unit that will respond to the resistor in the place you suggest, I don't know how you would identify such a unit however.

... Good luck - unless you're up for an interesting project it's probably easier just to fit an aftermarket head unit (nice peugeot fit ISO standard connectors although you might need to swap a few pins to get power in the right place...

few other things to try, as well as somethings he didnt mention (such as a resistor between your power and ground) to tell the ECU that something is actually being powered. I had a look at typical head unit impedances, and they varied from like 4ohms and up. I got a ceramic 24ohm resistor from work, this will give a draw current of 500mA for a 12V supply which is quite low, but safe start. So i'll give the resistor trick a shot along with this. An EE at work recommended i try it.

Thread Information