Why do I put up with old cars?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By David Cavanagh
  • 1 Post By alpine

Thread: Why do I put up with old cars?

Default Why do I put up with old cars?

Sunday afternoon I decided to clean up the front yard of all the fallen and dead trees. Best use the small trailer for this. Hmm what car has a tow bar, everyones gone out so I'm on my own and the only cars with tow bars are the 505 and the 403.

The 505 is clean and tidy and lives in the shed so the 403 is out in the weather getting to much rust to warrant an resto. This is the old 403 with a recorded 1,000,000 miles (not km) on the clock but hasn't been started for about 12 months.

Battery dead flat, I have a Xantia we use as a paddock bomb to collect fire wood and cart crap around, (pity I sold the tow bar off it) so I drove the Xantia to the 403 to jump start it. I few squirts of aerostart and the old Pug was soon purring like a kitten. Undid the jump leads, parked the Xantia and we're away.

No, the 403 wouldn't select gears, clutch was stuck to the flywheel. I could select gears with the engine off but with it running no way, what usually works is reving the engine and switching it off and just as the engine about to stop slam it in gear and turn the key back on before it stops. Didn't work and the engine died and the battery hadn't come up enough to start it so back out with the Xantia and jumper leads (an intelligent person would have swapped batteries).

Restart the Pug and this time kept the Xant and lead connected and kept trying to release the clutch. Probably took best part of an hour of grinding gears and juggling the ignition switch and finally it jumped forward nearly into the Xant with a bang and a grind and finally we have a clutch. Its working as smoothly as it always did so I pack up the leads and put the Xant back and jump back in the 403 and attempt to drive off and the left rear wheel is seized, the right wheel is just spinning and the car is stuck fastin the wet grass. Now what do I do.

Back with the Xantia, this time with a tow rope and drag the stuborn old pug out and after a few meters the wheel starts to turn, great brakes now unseized and clutch works so all systems are go.

No, the engine has stalled with all the towing so back with the jumper leads and now the starter motor is just going click click click and no sign of life. Tried the usual hitting with a stick, then a hammer but no go.

By now its after 6 oclock and well and truly beer oclock.

Advertisement

This time the 403 wins.

Anyone have a spare 403 starter motor?
    bob likes this.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

I think, at one time or another, we've all been at that place.

Yup, that all sounds horribly familiar... Its at these moments you wonder what people with actual lives are doing, as opposed to dicking around with stuff that doesn't work properly...

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Get yourself a shitty old range rover with a towbar ...... You see the best bit about this is you'll never sell it's towbar 'cos no-one knows you have one to wreck, they have an electric fuel pump so seem to always start after sitting .... And the kids will never borrow it 'cos it's fuel tank will always be very empty and very hungry. And there very cheap. All you need to do is check it runs and the diff locks work ... nothing else really matters for a paddock basher.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

If it's not too difficult to whack out the starter, I would try to revive it. Being an old bomb it can't be that difficult. Or maybe the engine just stopped in an awkward position for the starter to engage the flywheel teeth?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Get yourself a shitty old range rover with a towbar ...... You see the best bit about this is you'll never sell it's towbar 'cos no-one knows you have one to wreck, they have an electric fuel pump so seem to always start after sitting .... And the kids will never borrow it 'cos it's fuel tank will always be very empty and very hungry. And there very cheap. All you need to do is check it runs and the diff locks work ... nothing else really matters for a paddock basher.

seeya,
    Shane L.

I still have the old Navara quietly rusting away and I thought of using that but I doubt I could muster up enough batteries to get the old diesel cranking.
    Around the paddocks there is no where the Navara can go that the Xantia can't. It even pushes small trees out of the way and it's carry about a ton of firewood in the back (as much as the Navara) and still get through the mud and slush. Problem is I keep selling parts off it, it has no gaurd, bumpers, lights but it always starts and always does what it's asked to do. Shouldn't have sold the towbar but.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    I still have the old Navara quietly rusting away and I thought of using that but I doubt I could muster up enough batteries to get the old diesel cranking.
    Around the paddocks there is no where the Navara can go that the Xantia can't. It even pushes small trees out of the way and it's carry about a ton of firewood in the back (as much as the Navara) and still get through the mud and slush. Problem is I keep selling parts off it, it has no gaurd, bumpers, lights but it always starts and always does what it's asked to do. Shouldn't have sold the towbar but.
    Gee's you must be dry up there ... I've managed to bog the old range rover in mine towing the trailer .... It was about then I figured out the center diff lock wasn't engaging .... If I get it bogged now it's diff lock is working ... the bloody thing will be staying in the middle of the paddock till it dries out... 'cos anything I take out there to rescue it will no doubt suffer the same fate ... I find the low range as handy as the 4wd bit. You can back trailer and drag stuff around without having to flog the hell out of the clutch. Low range, reverse, pop the clutch ... you can barely creep along with loaded car trailers/caravans/wrecks being dragged behind you.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Entertaining and endearing story, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gonz View Post
    Entertaining and endearing story, mate.

There's your answer, Dave.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Best way I have found to free a stuck clutch (yes, I know it wouldn't have worked in this case) is to start in gear, drive around in 1st with the clutch pedal down, accelerating and slowing.

Fellow Frogger!

Hey David,
    Our old cars have lots of character and.................a crank handle !!!!!!!
    has it been so long you used it, you have forgotten it in the boot?
    UFO likes this.

Speaking of 4WDs, we're considering bidding for an ex-Defence Land Rover 110 starting at $2K. They'll be appearing over the next 3 years as the fleet changes over to G-Wagons. Cheap way to a simple and reliable 4WD still in original camo livery.

Speaking of 4WDs, we're considering bidding for an ex-Defence Land Rover 110 starting at $2K. They'll be appearing over the next 3 years as the fleet changes over to G-Wagons. Cheap way to a simple and reliable 4WD still in original camo livery.
    I've seen some of them for sale ..... $30k is probably closer to reality for the turbo diesel models I said range rover 'cos there really cheap, the series or defenders are comparatively bloody expensive!

Range Rover Land Rover in Melbourne, VIC | eBay

If you get a tidy one .... say this one ... it would effortlessly haul 4ton legally.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Range-Rov...8acfbf3&_uhb=1
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I was looking at the Unimogs but my wife has expressly forbidden me.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

A mate of mine had a 3dr Land Rover.

He got the sh*ts with it so much, he ended up re-wiring the whole car. Oh and the head gasket blew. It leaked water.

Infact, I dont think there was a positive attribute to mention about this car. Except for it was bloody good off road (lift kit etc) - that's if the motor didn't cook itself.
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED View Post
    A mate of mine had a 3dr Land Rover.

He got the sh*ts with it so much, he ended up re-wiring the whole car. Oh and the head gasket blew. It leaked water.

Infact, I dont think there was a positive attribute to mention about this car. Except for it was bloody good off road (lift kit etc) - that's if the motor didn't cook itself.
    Yep reminds you of nutters that insist on driving old french cars. Only we don't deal with "Lucas the prince of darkness". There used by armies world over, so they can't be to unreliable if looked after.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    Hey David,
    Our old cars have lots of character and.................a crank handle !!!!!!!
    has it been so long you used it, you have forgotten it in the boot?
    Ah the old crank handle in the boot trick. Thats the second time I've fallen for that this week.

Problem is the boot has been jamed shut for about 5 years. 403's had a knack of jaming and you needed to have the knack to open them but this one is really stuck, I've tried crow bars, everything I can think of so the boot now stays shut. Besides, by the time the starter buggered up it was well and truly beer time.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
    Best way I have found to free a stuck clutch (yes, I know it wouldn't have worked in this case) is to start in gear, drive around in 1st with the clutch pedal down, accelerating and slowing.
    Thats how I've done it in the past but this time the battery was to low to start in gear.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Ah the old crank handle in the boot trick. Thats the second time I've fallen for that this week.

Problem is the boot has been jamed shut for about 5 years. 403's had a knack of jaming and you needed to have the knack to open them but this one is really stuck, I've tried crow bars, everything I can think of so the boot now stays shut. Besides, by the time the starter buggered up it was well and truly beer time.
    Sell the back seat- then you can get to the crank handle.

Also I find a good dose of WD spray into the drums via the dust holes (3 off- need the wheel off the get at them) about a week before I want to move a 403 / 404 / etc. and the wheels turn quite happily. This isn't an issue because I usually have to put wheels on which hold air.

Did you remember to put some oil in the little cup for the clutch throw out bearing???

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Llewellyn View Post
    Sell the back seat- then you can get to the crank handle.

Also I find a good dose of WD spray into the drums via the dust holes (3 off- need the wheel off the get at them) about a week before I want to move a 403 / 404 / etc. and the wheels turn quite happily. This isn't an issue because I usually have to put wheels on which hold air.

Did you remember to put some oil in the little cup for the clutch throw out bearing???

The boots been stuck shut for so long I'm scared to open it. Anything could be living in there, maybe the Beaumont children, they disappeared about 50 years ago, maybe there in there.

I never indended to leave it sitting for so long so therefore I never did any preparations. If the starter wants to work I'll give it another go on the weekend. I might even stick the battery on charge.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

David it's your job, your hobby and because of it you have met lots of nice people. Well you met me, I bought some parts and we share an interest in Froggie cars....What's not to like? and very .
    Brendan.

Fellow Frogger!

I drive them at work, they're hard-core but yes simple and very effective. In particular the engine & gearbox in military Defenders is a big improvement over the comparable civilian Rover. Steering boxes and brake boosters are worth your purchase-caution. Btw those G-Wagen electronics have a nasty surprise waiting to bite.

Time to "Donate" the car

Donate Your Car

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    Time to "Donate" the car

Donate Your Car
    There's no way I could do that.
    They get auctioned at Manheim where my brother works so I'd probably end up buying it back.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

The boots been stuck shut for so long I'm scared to open it. Anything could be living in there, maybe the Beaumont children, they disappeared about 50 years ago, maybe there in there.

I never indended to leave it sitting for so long so therefore I never did any preparations. If the starter wants to work I'll give it another go on the weekend. I might even stick the battery on charge.
    You've been at too long mate, your sense of adventure is waning!

Thread Information