407 V6 HDI just stops
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ikenna351

Thread: 407 V6 HDI just stops

Default 407 V6 HDI just stops

I recentlt had a minor service and now the car drives for while say 30minutes and stops. After waiting a while it will drive agsin and then syop sgain. Initially we thought is wsd the fuel filter not sealing and replaced it and the seals. But thid msde no difference. Hss any one experienced this before?

Advertisement

Car- 407 coup 2006 model 145000km.
    sent from one of those mobile thingies

I'd put a modest bet on PSF1, or as the wreckers call it, your "BSM" (the underbonnet slave box) having a fractured joint internally. These are an uncoded part, you can swap like for like. Examine carefully how it unclips or you may snap the end off the housing.

Where can I source a PSF1 in Sydney? My mechanic is about to rrplace the crank angle sensor.

The CAS does occasionally fail, but Peugeot Planet will reveal it specifically.

For parts, I'm not in love with ASV but some people find them OK. I get the impression they might run several "competing" businesses here. Have a look under (say) "Peugeot wrecking" on Fleabay and see what larger scale businesses pop up repeatedly. You'll need to lift the engine bay cover on the fuse box to read its code (suggest a photo taken with you for reference).

Clean your air flow sensor next to you air filter.
    This sensor will give you your symptoms reads no or low air flow so cuts of fuel supply off
    Auto parts shop's have aerasol sensor cleaners .

It's good to clean it if oil-contaminated, but as to this being our fellow's root cause I beg to disagree.

Firstly, if it's readings are out of range the little engine symbol will light, even if the readings go back within range this light will linger upon startup for quite a few days.
    Secondly this fault is logged in the injection ECU, if it does make the engine hiccup badly, "knock on" faults from a stumble are stored in the BSI fault log as secondary data.
    Thirdly you can drive with the MAF sensor unplugged - it will not run optimally but will run. This is a common sense approach to getting you off the road and towards a repair, as may be required in the event of a sensor failure. By contrast, failure of the cam or crank sensors will stop the motor.
    Fourth, the MAF rates highly in what I call "swap and pray" and others give names to like "parts roulette"; it is obvious and therefore people deduct it must be faulty or degraded because they can see how to replace it. This is great for parts vendors! A turbo car does in many cases dirty the MAF sensor more with oil vapour when compared to an N/A vehicle but as said, when it's out of range - the car will tell you.

It's very difficult to get a full suite of meaningful data without PSA scan tools; generic OBD readers often don't communicate or provide red herrings. Launch and Snap-On come reasonably close to Planet/Diag but they're not quite so comprehensive.

is there anywhere that you can download the planet software and use an OBD interface to communicate with a laptop ????
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

You need the Chinese (or a genuine and costly!) interface; it's getting very cheap now.

File sharing sites are one place you can get the diagnostic software, there are several reflashes for the interface although at least one is a crippler for life. Most suppliers of the dongle will offer a set of discs as well; best to scan them for nasties before anything else. The other file sharing issue is that places like Rapidshare shape your speed and cap the downloads unless you are a paid up subscriber. Often it's simpler just to buy the dongle and discs then follow their "installation steps by pictorial sequence".

Op,

I would suggest that you scan the car with PP2000/Diagbox. Because there could be some hidden error faults/codes which generic scanners won't pull out. Not all stored faults in the ECU illimunates CEL (check engine light), both intermittent and permanent faults. And if the CEL is not lit, the generic scanners will tell you there is no fault/code stored in the ECU. There are some hidden faults stored in the ECU that can damage engine if not detected on time, which only PP2000 can detect. Check the link below:

How To Know When Peugeot Engine Timing Belt Is About To Break With PP2000: Code P1149, P1335 | Peugeot Arena

So, that your CEL is not illuminated doesn't mean that there could be no fault in the ECU, as far as newer Peugeot engine management is concerned. So find where you can scan the car with PP2000 and fix your Lion.

Ikenna
    BIGRR likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kool-lites View Post
    I recentlt had a minor service and now the car drives for while say 30minutes and stops. After waiting a while it will drive agsin and then syop sgain. Initially we thought is wsd the fuel filter not sealing and replaced it and the seals. But thid msde no difference. Hss any one experienced this before?

Car- 407 coup 2006 model 145000km.
    This engine has the same issues in the LR Discovery, Range Rover and Jaguar applications...

1] Are you getting a fault display like "Depolution Fault" ?

Sensors are a common issue on the 2.7's Most likley offender would be the crank position sensor.

Also check air pressure and temperature sensors in your intake. Normally you get oil coming in from the CCV pipe into the intake through the turbo and they do get covered in oil over time....

*** You MUST use a low ash oil in this engine as with most other modern HDI's.

Good Luck. I hope you get it resolved.

Quick update - we're waiting for a cps to arrive.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Is it confirmed dead by substitution, or is this "suck and see"?

Later I suspect. He is pretty confident. I told him to do the PSF1 next.

picked up the car last night. The mechanic is not so sure about the CPS as the fault comes and goes. Also parts place in Parra quoted him 2 to 3 weeks for the part and then was not convinced it would fix the issue. I decided to take possision of the car for a number of reasons, primarly because i had no first hand experience with the fault. every happened whilst my wife was driving and I was stuck in metting.
    Drove it home hard as a bat out of hell, and no faults occured.

Took is out again in the evening an drove about 5 Km to pick up my daughter. I notice my phone wasn't staying connected to the bluetooth. So while waiting for her to get in I turned the engine off. And then it NOT would start again. whilst cranking the motor, it felt like the engine was really unbalanced. I waited a a minute or so and then rang my son to bring me the scan tool. while he was looking for the tool, the car mysteriously started again, and was fine all the way home.
    This morning I scanned for fault coeds and found P0016 as attached.
    407 V6 HDI just stops-407-fault-scan1.jpg

I started the engine, and it ran fine. these are the live scans
    407 V6 HDI just stops-407-live-scan1.jpg 407 V6 HDI just stops-407-live-scan2.jpg

Finnally I took a Photo of the PSF1 ( in case it is the culprit.
    407 V6 HDI just stops-407-psf1_1.jpg ASV couldn't help me, as they needed a part number to check if they had the item.

That (coherence) does usually suggest a failed crank sensor. When the engine bay box lets go, it's usually one or two "maybe" events and then a final - complete - non-start situation.

Interestingly SEDRE schematics now reveals quite a bit of what's inside the PSF units, enough to make better informed diagnoses of specific shortcomings (like wipers constantly blowing the fuse). The part number on your PSF1 is on the side, when (if) removing you usually need to free up a bunch of stuff on the inboard side as that is "keyed" into some other covers. No fancy tricks, just keen eyes required.

Got a local quote for the CPS- $340. Any one know of a UK parts supplier who will send to Au?

Be the car has stopped only once in the last week.

Holy do do. I dropped into the local ford dealer parts shop. The young lad found the part, checked the screen twice and said the part is available but costs $770.

Quote Originally Posted by kool-lites
    Got a local quote for the CPS- $340. Any one know of a UK parts supplier who will send to Au?
    Try Guillaume, at Midi Auto Lorient. I know it's not England but the price will be right as it gets.

Peugeot planet 2000 and scan tool arrived today. Came complete with made in France sticker. Does China have a city called France?
    Btw the fail car hasn't stopped for a while now (~3weeks).

Last edited by kool-lites; 21st December 2013 at 06:06 PM.

I had reason to remove the drivers seat on the weekend. Man they are heavy. Scary part occurs when you disconnect the wiring loom. Air bag symbol pops up on the dash.

Please say you didn't disconnect an SRS system with the ignition still turned on!

Normally (as in hardly ever unless a government official was watching) you'd want to make sure nothing can go pop before mucking about with things like pyrotechnic seatbelt pretensioner wiring - disconnect the battery and wait 30 minutes as a minimum.

I had to remove a seat from my E46 BMW, and took all the usual precautions - but then got interrupted and had to move the car with the seat out. That threw up the SRS fault code, and it stayed on even after I reassembled everything. I had to reset the damn thing with a scan tool!

Thread Information