306 overheating
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: 306 overheating

  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    392

    Default 306 overheating

    Hi all

    In the last few days i have noticed my car egtting up towards the 110 area in traffic and on highway it sits between 70 and 90, which is fine.

    Whats worries me is in traffic 110 is pretty high hince high speed fans kick in at 112, and what really worries me is that i am currently not using a thermostat.

    So I am thinking i have a blockage in the cooling system and this is restricting the cooloant flow.

    Im I corrent in my assumptions or could it be something else

    Thanks in advance

    Advertisement


    Cheers

  2. #2
    2000+ Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,404

    Default

    My high thermo's cut in at about 95 I think. I'd get you radiator core cleaned. Made a huge difference to my car. Mind you, it was 50% blocked.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    392

    Default

    Thanks for that Brad can you advise me off who done the work for you and how much did they charge

    Cheers

  4. #4
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,265

    Default

    one thing i have learnt is that without a thermostat the water/coolant doesn't stay in the radiator as long as it would with the thermostat and hence doesn't cool as much
    mind you this is in a system that is fine
    so if the car is overheating and the thermostat is ok then look for a blockage
    if the car is over heating check the thermostat
    but don't think for a moment that by pulling out a thermostat that the car is going to run cooler as it won't
    all it will do is let the water/coolant flow quicker around the system
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x 2018 3008

    1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

    1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    58

    Default

    How many Ks does your pug have on it?

    One thing though EFI cars really like having a thermostat, i.e EFI Range Rovers and Discoverys can't get the fuel mixture and timing right when the thermo is not there, they burn around 5L per 100 more. The 306 thermos are cheap and quite easy to replace, they sit in the top rad hose I replaced them on my sisters 306s both withing 1000K of each other (both around the 80K mark) IIRC the part was like $30. Pop a (new) thermo in and see if your problems go away.

    If they don't then look at a radiator re-core.

    Good Luck
    Tom

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger! BW205's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Mostly Hong Kong and sometimes Brisbane
    Posts
    513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by immy s16
    Hi all

    In the last few days i have noticed my car egtting up towards the 110 area in traffic and on highway it sits between 70 and 90, which is fine.

    Whats worries me is in traffic 110 is pretty high hince high speed fans kick in at 112, and what really worries me is that i am currently not using a thermostat.

    So I am thinking i have a blockage in the cooling system and this is restricting the cooloant flow.

    Im I corrent in my assumptions or could it be something else

    Thanks in advance

    Cheers
    Just question, does the temp drop after you move off again in City driving. I understand that when you sit at a traffic light the temp will go up, but soon after you move off (provided there is enough airlflow thru the rad) the temp should drop a bit or show signs it is dropping.

    CHeers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

    -Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BW205
    Just question, does the temp drop after you move off again in City driving. I understand that when you sit at a traffic light the temp will go up, but soon after you move off (provided there is enough airlflow thru the rad) the temp should drop a bit or show signs it is dropping.

    CHeers
    Billy

    Yeah it does drop after you start moving, but what im saying is that i never used to see the 110 mark usually jus pops above 90 and comes back down, had the same behaviour with or with out thermostat.

    The only difference not having the thermostat in was on the highway where the is lot of airflow and teh car sits aorund teh 80 mark.

    But il be heading into town later today and pick up a thermostat and hopefully put it in by the weekend, will keep you guys posted.

    Cheers

  8. #8
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,265

    Default

    has the S16 got 2 fans on the front ?
    check to make sure both are going
    i know in mine when one stops as they do if you don't keep a check on the crappy little 3mm LH thread screw in the centre and it falls out the fan won't go (well der)
    when this happens the cars temp will rise a bit more than normal
    always a good indication that i have forgotten to check the fans
    the car has been doing it from the day i bought it and the dealer never had an answer as to why the screw falls out
    and yes i have tried loctite
    now i just keep a supply of screws just in case
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x 2018 3008

    1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

    1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger! J4RS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by immy s16
    Hi all

    In the last few days i have noticed my car egtting up towards the 110 area in traffic and on highway it sits between 70 and 90, which is fine.

    Whats worries me is in traffic 110 is pretty high hince high speed fans kick in at 112, and what really worries me is that i am currently not using a thermostat.

    So I am thinking i have a blockage in the cooling system and this is restricting the cooloant flow.

    Im I corrent in my assumptions or could it be something else

    Thanks in advance

    Cheers
    Hello, Check the fans out as advised.. check both kick in at low speed when a/c is switched on with a low coolant temp...

    IF all is not good, Replace fan control module behide the NS front dirt shield.

    About $130 if i remember right..

    Hope this helps..... see this fault a lot...


  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    392

    Default

    Yeah the fans are commin on at around 90 then also at 112

    But when they come on at 90 they dont seem to cool down the engine.

    Sow what im goin to do is put a new thermostat in and see how she goes.

    Cheers

  11. #11
    Zen
    Zen is offline
    Fellow Frogger! Zen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    490

    Default

    Damn you, Immy. I thought I had sorted out all my cooling issues and as soon as someone posts something about the S16 overheating, mine goes and does it. ARGH!!! I suspect I have a blockage in the core as I've gotten a new radiator (which has also been flushed already 'cos the coolant looked like mud), water pump and a new genuine Peugeot radiator cap which I put on just recently (topped up coolant at the same time) thinking that would be the end of it. The reason I suspect a blockage is that even at 100km/h on the highway it still didn't go below 100. Anyone think it could be something else? Thermostat perhaps? Hmmm, come to think of it, the windows started fogging up so I put the air-con on cold to demist and all that came out was warm air... I'll check coolant levels in the morning. It's been stinking hot with high humidity and it's been raining alot.

    Rich

    codito ergo sum == code monkey


    '04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

  12. #12
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zen
    Damn you, Immy. I thought I had sorted out all my cooling issues and as soon as someone posts something about the S16 overheating, mine goes and does it. ARGH!!! I suspect I have a blockage in the core as I've gotten a new radiator (which has also been flushed already 'cos the coolant looked like mud), water pump and a new genuine Peugeot radiator cap which I put on just recently (topped up coolant at the same time) thinking that would be the end of it. The reason I suspect a blockage is that even at 100km/h on the highway it still didn't go below 100. Anyone think it could be something else? Thermostat perhaps? Hmmm, come to think of it, the windows started fogging up so I put the air-con on cold to demist and all that came out was warm air... I'll check coolant levels in the morning. It's been stinking hot with high humidity and it's been raining alot.

    Rich
    "coolant like mud"! Hmm. Never allow this, ever. Ours is 9 years old, 118,000 km, temp sits close to 80 and hardly moves. I reckon coolant is one of THE critical items - use top quality fluid, change on spec and you rarely have trouble.

    If it's been "like mud", you could easily have a sludged up block. Not good - there were 205s that corroded their blocks at the back, bottom. Very ugly. All to do with sludge and poor coolant management.

    I'd take it seriously.

    JohnW

  13. #13
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zen
    Damn you, Immy. I thought I had sorted out all my cooling issues and as soon as someone posts something about the S16 overheating, mine goes and does it. ARGH!!! I suspect I have a blockage in the core as I've gotten a new radiator (which has also been flushed already 'cos the coolant looked like mud), water pump and a new genuine Peugeot radiator cap which I put on just recently (topped up coolant at the same time) thinking that would be the end of it. The reason I suspect a blockage is that even at 100km/h on the highway it still didn't go below 100. Anyone think it could be something else? Thermostat perhaps? Hmmm, come to think of it, the windows started fogging up so I put the air-con on cold to demist and all that came out was warm air... I'll check coolant levels in the morning. It's been stinking hot with high humidity and it's been raining alot.

    Rich
    LOL, sorry Zen well just incase that you are really following my steps, i should just warn you about the intermediate cut outs, im pretty sure i got some water spray some where where it wasnt wanted, car ideled and reved fine in neutral but soon as i went to take off it died.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW
    "coolant like mud"! Hmm. Never allow this, ever. Ours is 9 years old, 118,000 km, temp sits close to 80 and hardly moves. I reckon coolant is one of THE critical items - use top quality fluid, change on spec and you rarely have trouble.

    If it's been "like mud", you could easily have a sludged up block. Not good - there were 205s that corroded their blocks at the back, bottom. Very ugly. All to do with sludge and poor coolant management.

    I'd take it seriously.

    JohnW
    If you have sludgy coolant I would suggest purchasing a filter that sits in the top coolant hose line that has an inspection point and stainless steel filter there. If it is sludgy I would fit one and then go for a drive down the road 100 meters and clean it out then for 10 minutes, then stop and clean it out, then go for a half hour and do the same and then you could drive to work with it.

    This will help the sludging of your block as it will stop your radiator clogging and over time you will be able to remove a fair bit of sludge.

    Classic Car magazine has adds for these filters and they can be picked up locally for about AUD$40.

    If you can't get hold of one of these cut about 100mm of the bottom of a stocking (the foot + 100mm) and poke that down into top of the radiator and leave a fair bit of it out around the hose to clamp so it doesn't disapper down the radiator and follow the same cleaning regeme.

    Good luck

    Tom

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •