Aluminium Rocker Cover
  • Register
  • Help

Default Aluminium Rocker Cover

What is the best way of cleaning a very dull Aluminium Rocker cover on a '97 306?

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Truck places will sell aluminium body cleaner containing hydrofluoric acid. Check up safety sheets before even buying; this stuff is extremely nasty.

(PS) This sort of stuff - http://www.septone.com.au/msds/ATA1.htm. Works, but not nice at all.
    Last edited by seasink; 9th November 2013 at 10:27 PM.

A cheap sand blaster loaded with baking powder gives a nice warm shine. Good for carburettors too and no grit residue, just wash with water.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

My back ground is high voltage electrical and we use to dip our alunimun cables in a bath of hot water and lye ! the result was a clean finish You can try out the finish on a aluminum pop / beer can for a test . The only thing that sometimes interfers with getting it to work properly is if it has a painted clear finish which would have to be stripped down with a good chemical paint stripper. Word of caution the gases produced coming off the cleaning process is Hydrogen. ( no sparks or open flames close by )

Manic gt

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Truck places will sell aluminium body cleaner containing hydrofluoric acid. Check up safety sheets before even buying; this stuff is extremely nasty.

(PS) This sort of stuff - http://www.septone.com.au/msds/ATA1.htm. Works, but not nice at all.
    If the blurb in Wikipedia is accurate then I wouldn't go anywhere near hydroflouric acid. According to wiki this stuff isn't just nasty, it's lethal - "By interfering with body calcium metabolism, the concentrated acid may also cause systemic toxicity and eventual cardiac arrest and fatality, after contact with as little as 160 cm2 (25 square inches) of skin."

Have a read of other extremely dangerous aspects of this stuff.

Metal polish and elbow grease is the best method.

This is a good read by a pro. You'll need to be a member to see the pics however.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...pic=152032&hl=

Polishing Cam Cover Progress - General Car Chat - 205GTIDrivers.com

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

1000+ Posts

I did say the acid was nasty, but none the less, the cleaner is readily available and widely used, eg Septone Ali Brite Aluminium Cleaner - 1 Litre - Supercheap Auto Australia

Just to add to the warning status. Have a quick read of the "CX oil o-ring" thread.(Can one of the wunderkinds do this as I really don't know how.) I point out the dangers of exposing Viton O-rings to flame but Septone remove the need for heat and make it easy to harm/kill yourself. Then again when I've been involved in cleaning out very old garages and sheds the toxic stuff that came out would make your head spin, fall off and vaporise in a puff of green/purple smoke with a lingering odour. Brendan.

Thread Information