Things that you learn
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Things that you learn

Found this para:

CLM stands for Compagnie Lilloise de Moteurs. This company was founded (or maybe just incorporated) by Peugeot in 1928 to build diesel engines according to the Junkers design. Peugeot has been one of the pioneers of the diesel engine, already testing an ordinary model 156 fitted with a diesel two stroke engine (moteur ŗ huiles lourdes) designed by an engineer called Tartrais in the early 1920s.

CLM was stamped on the side of a mid 1920s Lorrain-Dietrich ute (spelling?) being auctioned in Europe before the end of the month and the auctioneer has put this up as an explanation for the wording. The L-D had the engine installed, probably when it was made to advertise the diesel engine.

I knew Peugeot was into diesels in the 1930s but not as early as this.

Shows what a sheltered life I lead (or more realistically a view held by myself as to why anyone would bother with a diesel powered car).

Advertisement

FLASH

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Car 76 View Post
    Found this para:

CLM stands for Compagnie Lilloise de Moteurs. This company was founded (or maybe just incorporated) by Peugeot in 1928 to build diesel engines according to the Junkers design. Peugeot has been one of the pioneers of the diesel engine, already testing an ordinary model 156 fitted with a diesel two stroke engine (moteur ŗ huiles lourdes) designed by an engineer called Tartrais in the early 1920s.

CLM was stamped on the side of a mid 1920s Lorrain-Dietrich ute (spelling?) being auctioned in Europe before the end of the month and the auctioneer has put this up as an explanation for the wording. The L-D had the engine installed, probably when it was made to advertise the diesel engine.

I knew Peugeot was into diesels in the 1930s but not as early as this.

Shows what a sheltered life I lead (or more realistically a view held by myself as to why anyone would bother with a diesel powered car).

FLASH

I didn't know that either but it stands to reason.
    Citroen were playing with them during the 20's so makes sense the opposition would be too. I bet Renault were too.

Citroen were actually the first to have a diesel car on the market beating Mercedes Benz by about 6 months.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Fellow Frogger!

Lorraine-Dietrich they started life as De Dietrich et Cie , in Luneville, in Lorraine province in 1897 as makers of railway rolling stock and
    changed their name in 1905 when they started building Bollee engines under licence.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Car 76 View Post

FLASH
    As nearly 80 per cent of the French car fleet is diesel powered it is more a case of dietary deficiency - inadequate consumption of frogs legs and snails.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianrobbo View Post
    Lorraine-Dietrich they started life as De Dietrich et Cie , in Luneville, in Lorraine province in 1897 as makers of railway rolling stock and
    changed their name in 1905 when they started building Bollee engines under licence.
    Ah, things that you learn.
    Now what say you Ian about the benefits of diesel powered cars? Personally I've only had the old 504 which was nasty and much inferior to gasoline.

Fellow Frogger!

I have never owned a diesel pug but have driven most Aussie diesel models at one time or another and the newer generation engines perform really well and are not boat anchors anymore so give a far better power to weight performance.

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    Ah, things that you learn.
    Now what say you Ian about the benefits of diesel powered cars? Personally I've only had the old 504 which was nasty and much inferior to gasoline.
    So why are most of the 504s that are left either diesels or TIs (diesels in drag)?
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

After the Fuego I went with an i30 Turbo Diesel and doubt I will ever go back to petrol.

Quote Originally Posted by Uffee View Post
    So why are most of the 504s that are left either diesels or TIs (diesels in drag)?
    Because all the carby petrol cars have gone overseas. They don't want Ti's for obvious reasons and they don't like diesels in Egypt. Not sure why.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

As a general rule, wouldn't diesels simply last longer?

Quote Originally Posted by The Gonz View Post
    As a general rule, wouldn't diesels simply last longer?
    As a general rule yes but when they do go wrong they are generally much more expensive to fix. I don't know how many kms the average taxi does a year in Egypt but unless your doing at least 50,000km a year diesel is a bit of a false ecomony.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Hmmm. How do you explain the preference for diesels in Europe then? On average, I would say there would be about 7 diesels for every 3 petrol cars around you almost everywhere you find yourself in Europe. Maybe a little bit less in Sweden/Denmark from what I have seen, but not much less. Go east towards Hungary and the frequency might be a bit higher (or a lot) in favour of diesels.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

it's an 'era' thing

Fellow Frogger!

Diesel in Europe is for cheaper than petrol, not lile here.

UFO

Because gazole (diesel) is still cheaper than essence (petrol) in much of Europe. It's also a more economical engine up until recent HPI developments hence you save at the pump and on consumption.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

That situation is not the same everywhere in Europe. I personally drove a diesel Logan across Europe recently and didn't find diesel cheaper than petrol. Comparable, yes. I admit I did not refuel in France, but I did in the UK, Denmark, Sweden, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, Belgium, Hungary, the Czech Republic. Prices are close enough, but diesel is still the more expensive option. If you buy polar diesel or some other "special" kind of Diesel, even more so.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Thread Information