Mi16 S1 Clutch Adjustment?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Mi16 S1 Clutch Adjustment?

Hi All,

I have a 1992 Mi16 and the clutch pedal needs to be released a fair distance before the clutch actually grabs. But it doesn't seem to slip at all. For example if I do a hill start I need to pretty much ride the clutch or give it the beans to get it up the hill, if I don't it bogs down. Is there any adjustment in the clutch or the clutch cable? My workshop manual is quite generic between 405 models and states that some do and some don't. Apart from that the car is wonderful and it's my only serious gripe!! Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Anthony

Advertisement
    Current Frogs:

1964 Renault 8 (1289 / Sonics)
    1968 Renault 10 (Modified 1.4L Alpine White)

My series 1 has a double nut arrangement on the end of the clutch cable at the clutch fork. You can adjust it up and down. Is the clutch pedal a bit high? is it much higher than the brake pedal for example? The clutch pedal has it's own restraining spring which keeps tension on the clutch fork. Adjust the double nuts down the end of the cable rod - watch the clutch pedal as you do. There is a distance to floor specified in a manual I have seen somewhere, but just line it up so it is no higher than the brake pedal and try it at that.
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

Dont confuse it with a Japanese clutch - the french stuff tends to have their pick up points quite high, whereas most japanese stuff has it near the floor.

I hate driving the map stuff for that reason - i like the clutch to disengage early in the pedal travel, not have to mash it into the carpet before it lets go.

Thanks heaps for the tips guys, I'll have a look this arvo and hopefully it will be a bit nicer thing to drive!

Cheers

Anthony

Via the aussiefrogs iPhone App
    Current Frogs:

1964 Renault 8 (1289 / Sonics)
    1968 Renault 10 (Modified 1.4L Alpine White)

Thread Information