Tyres for Mi16
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Tyres for Mi16

Default Tyres for Mi16

I wonder if members could give me some suggestions for future tyres. I have a Mi16 and wheel size is 195/55 VR15. Thanks.
    John505

Advertisement

For the trip to work each day in the 205, I have gone for 195/50/15 Achillies ATR Sport - $95.00 a corner fitted & Balanced from Jax. May be different for the Mi. For general day to day stuff they're ok but a bit slippery on the track.
    Last edited by PugMonkey; 7th November 2013 at 12:57 PM.
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

I went with Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE001....pretty sure these are replaced by the RE002 but I loved them....tons of grip and still gripped in the rain and on gravel.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Fellow Frogger!

Prefer 195. 50 15s on my mi 16 cars on either 6 inch or 6.5 inch wide wheels less bulge tighter fit no tyre roll adrenelyns from Bridgestone are very good long as they are speed rated and fit well the car handles well regards fish

Via the aussiefrogs App

195x50/15 isn't legal on an Mi16. The load rating is too low.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

Also they would look ridiculously small, even the 55 profile tyres look small.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    195x50/15 isn't legal on an Mi16. The load rating is too low.

Fellow Frogger!

Load speed rate is 82 v that's 550 k per wheel and 240k which is fine even with a 100 kg me in it. They work well and look great. Wide tyres on six inch rims are crap.

Via the aussiefrogs App

VIP Sponsor

Nothing to do with the width, the same 195 width in 60 series profile looks much better on a 405.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Load speed rate is 82 v that's 550 k per wheel and 240k which is fine even with a 100 kg me in it. They work well and look great. Wide tyres on six inch rims are crap.

Via the aussiefrogs App

I think mine were 195/60

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Thanks for the advice so far but perhaps I should tell you that I have Adrenalin tyres on at the moment and whilst they were really quite good for the first 10,000 km now they are not so good. I wouldn't buy them again and was rather hoping people had other tyre experiences?
    John505

When I got my S1.0 Mi16, 14 inch wheels, it has very worn P6000 on it. They were very noisy and very heavy.

I forget what I replaced then with, it was 15 years ago, it will be in another thread somewhere. Possibly Michies. I do know that I ended up with Yoko C-drives. They were magic. Smooth, quiet, light, good in the dry and wet, stuck like snot to a cinder. Not the world's longest lasting tyre, but suited me fine, and on that model a good price/wear combo. (Not so on the 406 but).

It is up to you to prioritise what you want out of it. There's plenty of comparos which will show you the cheapest, the quietest, the longest-wearing, the best in the wet etc.

Just be sure that whoever fits them can balance then. I went to my local BJ who whilst professional, admitted up front that they did not have the adapter plate, so I had to factor in another 50 bucks at the guy down the corner who did.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    It says on 84 and speed rating V on the plate. That's all the feds care about when they defect you. Just keep it standard. Easy.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Actually the plate is a recommend not the law ADR states the specs for load and speed with tolerances so you can vary up or down the scale and be lawful and and as for the look, well, thats just relative eh.

I moved from Adrenalin RE01 to 02 and they were noticeably crappier (re01 made in Aus, re02 made in Thailand funnily enough). I have since bought Dunlop Z1 star specs - amazing tyres even in damp conditions, not fantastic on the highway in pelting rain but if that's what you need then go a Michelin.

Fellow Frogger!

+1 on the Yokohama C.drive and they do a 195/55VR15 (95V) in the C.drive2 which has replaced the C.drive(1).

Have C.drive1 on 205 GTi and C.drive2 on family Astra TS.

Original C.drive1s on the Astra gave v.good grip/mileage/quietness and the C.drive2 seem to be almost as good once they have been skuffed in.

VIP Sponsor

I have 195 50 15 RE002s on the 205 GTi, fantastic grip but extremely harsh ride, this could be the car but it is a lot harsher than the competition suspension on the rally 205.

Quote Originally Posted by chez00 View Post
    I moved from Adrenalin RE01 to 02 and they were noticeably crappier (re01 made in Aus, re02 made in Thailand funnily enough). I have since bought Dunlop Z1 star specs - amazing tyres even in damp conditions, not fantastic on the highway in pelting rain but if that's what you need then go a Michelin.

Believe it or not the manufacturer usually know something about the handling characteristics of their cars. Stick with the original placard size and go back to Michelins. There is always a compromise with tyres, but if you stick with the original equipment you will get good drivability, good road noise (absence), correct geometry and good life expectancy. On all the Pugs I have owned, I have tried other tyres and keep going back Michelins that are as close to original fitment as possible. On my 306 I have routinely had more than 80,000km on the original Michelins and a lot less on anything else I've tried without improving handling or grip to justify the much shorter tyre life. If you are going out on the track, whack a set of Toyo888s / Yokohama A050s / Dunlop Direzzas on it. Otherwise go back to original fitment.
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

VIP Sponsor

Yes, tend to agree, no complaints at all about the performance of standard 405 (Mi16 or SRi) tyres, they just look too small!

Quote Originally Posted by racing405 View Post
    Believe it or not the manufacturer usually know something about the handling characteristics of their cars. Stick with the original placard size and go back to Michelins. There is always a compromise with tyres, but if you stick with the original equipment you will get good drivability, good road noise (absence), correct geometry and good life expectancy. On all the Pugs I have owned, I have tried other tyres and keep going back Michelins that are as close to original fitment as possible. On my 306 I have routinely had more than 80,000km on the original Michelins and a lot less on anything else I've tried without improving handling or grip to justify the much shorter tyre life. If you are going out on the track, whack a set of Toyo888s / Yokohama A050s / Dunlop Direzzas on it. Otherwise go back to original fitment.

I think I shall do what you suggest and return to Michelin. I am not into track work and just drive in the country and around town in Morwell. Thanks for your responses.
    John505

Quote Originally Posted by John505 View Post
    I think I shall do what you suggest and return to Michelin. I am not into track work and just drive in the country and around town in Morwell. Thanks for your responses.
    John505
    If you dont do sideways, the Michi ps3 is a good choice. Lots of grip, especially in the wet, lots of comfort and not much noise.

Jo

Even just sticking with Michies opens a Pandora spox. The base ones are prob the best price/wear relation. On my 406, front heavy, the C-drives lasted 29000km, for about 130 each. I spent the extra (about 220) for LC-something, and am well over 40000km with still plenty of life left.

I know that it is an Mi16, but at best it is an 18 year old car. It is easy to pay too much. I have seen plenty of no-names on Mi16s, and the owners still swear by them, not at them.

Nod

When I purchased my 1993 series 2 Mi16 8 years ago, it was fitted with Pirelli's. I thought they were very good.

I fitted Michelin Pilot Exacto 195/50R15 (manufactured in Spain) about three years ago. It took the handling, comfort and noise reduction to a new level. For my usage, they have been brilliant. 40% of use has been suburban/ 40% highway (long distance)/ 20% on back country roads (predominately bitumen).

They were about $200.00 per tyre, and I think they look fine in that size on the Mi. Have completed about 25,000 ks and they wouldn't be half worn.

Interesting to see Peter T's post suggesting they are illegal. The tyres were recommended by a major tyre seller (and friend) on the Northern Beaches who I have been accepting his advise over 30 years for tyre choices on my Renaults and Peugeots. Unfortuneately he has retired and I am unable to check Peter's advise. Worth asking about when selecting your tyre size.

Nod

Nod,
    Is there much of an alteration to the speedo with the tyres (50 aspect)?
    Thanks
    John505

Nod

The speedo shows about 10% above actual speed. eg when showing 110kph actual speed is 100kph, based on reading from GPS unit and roadside advisory units where roadworks are being carried out. (Not particularly scientific but appears reasonably accurate.)

Not sure if it is the tyre size or speedo unit, but psychologically feels good to think your exceeding the speed limit and not getting booked.

Nod.

By law, you should also have a H rated sticker on your windscreen to say your vehicle top speed has been lowered. A crazy law, I know.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information