205 Heater Matrix plumbing.
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 Heater Matrix plumbing.

The heater matrix in my Silver 205 Si has ruptured.
    I have blanked off the connection points at the thermostat housing and at the "manifold" at the back of the engine .
    ( Blanking "cups" by Rare Spares from SuperCheap. Just rubber , no canvas in them so hope they hold.)

The 205 cabin heating system has no regulating tap, water circulates continuously, the cabin air temperature is controlled by how much air is ducted through the heater matrix.
    By blanking off the coolant flow and return have I created problems?
    Is the passage of coolant from thermostat housing, through heater matrix and back to the "manifold" at back bottom of block necessary to perform an engine cooling function?

Still bailing out the green stuff.

Advertisement

Paul.

Taking the heater core out of the cooling circuit will definitely affect your cooling. I can't tell by how much but your temperature gauge will. Fans working properly? This is going to be an interesting experiment. You might notice the fans coming on more frequently. Or not.

What I can tell you is that with the fans on at all times, my car sits on about 70 deg winter or summer, stuck in traffic or blasting down the freeway. Turning heating on doesn't make a noticeable difference. Without fans, it overheats pretty quickly in stop start traffic, but it's okay driving fast. Again, turning the heater on (no fans) makes little difference (delays the onset of overheating by about one minute).
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

i wouldn't trust the blanking plugs they were the cause of cooking the motor on my daughters 306

I would join the the 2 with one peace of hose.

regards jamie.

series 2 405 mi16
    205 si
    series 1 205 gti
    series 3 205 with a gti6 motor project
    1970 404 ute 504 ti motor project
    parts cars 2 205 si's 306 sedan
    2004 206 gti180

Best bet to get rid of coolant inside is to go to a car wash and vacuum it all up. This is what I did and then followed up with a carpet steam clean. No damage, no smell.....

Meant to add I just put a joiner between inlet hose and return hose at the firewall. So no change to coolant flow and could last until I replaced heater matrix.

Removing the heater matrix makes no difference to cooling. I run one fan and no heater in my 205. It happily oscillates between 90 and 93 at idle, even on the hottest days.

It's very easy to remove the heater matrix. Weld up the inlet/outlet points, rather than fitting blanking plugs, as they will eventually rupture (12 months or so).

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
    Took the car to Cairns today, Ah the Gillies Range Road.
    Its usually a cool runner with the gauge sitting just under the halfway mark at all times.
    Made sure I bled the system well before setting out.
    Very hot day in Cairns and got stuck in traffic jam on way back.
    Temperature gauge hardly got above halfway and when cruising along sat in the usual spot below half. Determined by the thermostat I would guess.
    When pushed hard up the hill the gauge still only got to half.
    The handling of that Si ia amazing, Old saggy suspension, shot shockers a rear beam that squeaks more than my cat, 1.6L engine and auto box but so much fun and so controllable. Capable of embarrassing lots of modern vehicles. Pepperpots and 306 front brakes certainly help.

Frequent checks of the coolant level on the journey showed that there was no leaks which was confirmed by the low coolant level light now staying out

The blanking has fixed the problem for now but as everyone suggests I will refit the hoses and put a junction between them or just run a piece of hose between the two pipes. Come winter I may tackle the task of fitting another heater core. After all a 205 needs some warm air to stop it fogging up inside in cold weather, especially with half a dozen hot pizzas in the back.

Paul.
    Last edited by 504-504-504; 4th November 2013 at 10:42 PM.

Thread Information