306 window seals too tight? Elec windows sticking
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 306 window seals too tight? Elec windows sticking

Ever since I got it (May), if my black 306 has been sitting in the sun for a bit, the closed passenger window only moves about half a cm down before it gets stuck. The motor struggles but the window doesn't budge, although it will go back up that half cm if told to. To get it to go down when this happens I just need to apply very light pressure to the window from the outside of the door and it will move. It only actually get stuck at the top, but you can hear the motor struggling a bit when the car is warm and the glass itself sounds louder against the seals. Obviously there's some expansion going on here, but which seals are most likely to be the culprit?

Advertisement

Possibly related- the driver's side window has always moved a bit faster than the passenger side and has no issues in the heat so far. I have noticed though that the seal between the outside bottom edge of the glass and the door is a bit loose (the soft felt-ish bit). I noticed this when I wound down the window on a cold morning and the condensation didn't get wiped off like it does on the passenger side. That said, I'm not having any issues with the door filling up with water so I'm not sure what to think there.

So what's the go? Are the passenger side seals too tight? Driver's side seals too loose? Both? 'French car, working as intended'?
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Window reg could be dying. The clip that goes through the glass could be getting movement from a common crack go the plastic clip.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Fellow Frogger!

I had a closer look at the driver's side and was wrong, not the felt part (that's on the inside) but the flexible rubber wiper-ish part on the outside. It contacts the window when closed, then once the window is about 3" wound down the wiper isn't bending enough to follow the curvature of the glass. Not too worried about that as I don't often have the window down when it's raining!

Is it difficult to access the inside of the door?
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

1000+ Posts

It shouldn't be too hard to access once the door lining's been taken off. It sounds like the cable's been moved at some stage, which is unusual - unless there is a problem with the motor causing it to flex.
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Fellow Frogger!

The bottom lining bit looks like it's just plastic clips, but there's a Torx screw under the armrest and another under a plastic cover near the mirror, both of which I assume need to come off? I don't have any Torx bits big enough so might for a spin down to Bunnings.
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

1000+ Posts

You should have 3 torx screws holding the door speaker in- should the same size as some others

Via the aussiefrogs App
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityJayOne View Post
    The bottom lining bit looks like it's just plastic clips, but there's a Torx screw under the armrest and another under a plastic cover near the mirror, both of which I assume need to come off? I don't have any Torx bits big enough so might for a spin down to Bunnings.
    The arm rest ones will be torx t 30 and speaker ones will be t 20

Via the aussiefrogs App
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Fellow Frogger!

silicon spray lubricant?The motor wont struggle for too long before it shorts....so get onto it asap.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks guys. I just eyeballed the sizes for the Torx and got it right. The little plastic mesh covers over the door speakers both have one of the clips damaged so I assumed that the previous owner had fiddled with the speakers (plus the ones on the parcel shelf are aftermarket). Wasn't wrong, they're from a damn Ford! They made a real mess of installing them too, plenty of holes in the plastic from screws punching through it in various spots (not even pre-drilled). Didn't need a Torx driver here as they had been replaced with regular screws.

Anyhoo, I couldn't see any major issues when I got the liner off. The glass seems nice and tight on the rails. Something is definitely up with the seals I reckon, as they just look different to the seals on the driver's side (different components) and you can hear how noisy the movement of the glass is. Here's a video of the bits in action if anyone wants to look for something that's wrong- passwindow - YouTube

Pugsley, I'm thinking a lubricant is the way to go as well.
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Fellow Frogger!

I got some WD40 and put it inside all the seals with the window wound down (except the groove the glass disappears into). Seems a little better but that could be my imagination. Seeing as it's going to be warm tomorrow I'll park it out in the sun all day and see what happens.
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Fellow Frogger!

Same as before. When I get some time I might have a go at pulling out a seal or two to see if I can get it operating properly.
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Thread Information