Peugeot 308 2.0 HDi - Dual mass flywheel
  • Register
  • Help

Icon3 Peugeot 308 2.0 HDi - Dual mass flywheel

Hi,

In our project, we are setting up a 2.0 HDI (DW10BTED4, 136 bhp, 2010 model) in a dyno. The engine came with automatic transmission setup and we want to install a flywheel to damp vibrations. My queries are;

• Would it be possible to simply change the flexplate in an automatic transmission setup to replace it with a flywheel for a manual transmission?
    • Do I need to go with the DMF or a solid flywheel?
    • I would like to take some measurements and fitment before we buy a flywheel. Does anyone in Brisbane has a used/spare flywheel that I can access?

Advertisement

Ta!

Tadpole

I have just changed a DMF to SMF on the same engine (manual obviously). I still have the old DMF in the shed. It was removed as it was chattering and is no longer any good. I'm in Bracken Ridge on BNE north side.

the flywheel is different between the auto and manual. You will need another flywheel.
    You should look at a single mass flywheel conversion kit with flywheel included.
    There are a couple threads about this topic with information on how to find a kit. just do a search.

Quote Originally Posted by ae86levin View Post
    I have just changed a DMF to SMF on the same engine (manual obviously). I still have the old DMF in the shed. It was removed as it was chattering and is no longer any good. I'm in Bracken Ridge on BNE north side.
    Based on your experience, would you suggest SMF over DMF? For DMF, the company says it will absorb torsional vibrations better than SMF. I thought damping of torsional vibrations is critical for a reliable driveline assembly.

Tadpole

Yes the DMF's are renowned for failure especially if the power output of the engine is increased (what I read in my research). My 307 has had the DPF removed and ECU remap (by previous owner) so I assume it is making more power than stock. The Valeo SMF kit I bought claims that the clutch disc is sprung enough to perform the damping. The clutch disc in the DMF is solid with the damping in the flywheel.
    Have a look in here for the write up I did as it has plenty of pics to show what I mean.
    307 2.0 HDi 136 dual mass flywheel replacement guide

This vid is produced by Valeo (not in english) and it shows the SMF kit being tested.
    Kit 4P, inovácia Valeo ako náhrada dvojhmotového zotrva?níka - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by ae86levin View Post
    Yes the DMF's are renowned for failure especially if the power output of the engine is increased (what I read in my research). My 307 has had the DPF removed and ECU remap (by previous owner) so I assume it is making more power than stock. The Valeo SMF kit I bought claims that the clutch disc is sprung enough to perform the damping. The clutch disc in the DMF is solid with the damping in the flywheel.
    Have a look in here for the write up I did as it has plenty of pics to show what I mean.
    307 2.0 HDi 136 dual mass flywheel replacement guide

This vid is produced by Valeo (not in english) and it shows the SMF kit being tested.
    Kit 4P, inovácia Valeo ako náhrada dvojhmotového zotrva?níka - YouTube
    Thank you for the links. I am now more inclined towards getting the SMF. The only concern is that how difficult is it to install it in our application where we connect the engine crank shaft to the flywheel, which in turn connects to the drive shaft and then dyno. We are not using a clutch disc in our application, which might then require us to use some sort of coupling that is capable of abosrbing the torsional stresses and provide damping.

I tried to get a quote for Valeo kit locally and it costs about $700, expensive than the one you bought. Moreover, I won't need the full kit, but only the flywheel. If someone is interested in the clutch kit (sprung clutch plate, pressure plate and release bearing) without flywheel, then I might try to sell it later.

Is it okay for me to collect the DMF from your place some time this week or next week?

Thread Information