poor idle when warm
  • Register
  • Help

Default poor idle when warm

When car's cold it idles fine, it's only when it's warm that it dips below 800 to 500 then jumps back up, it has stalled twice so far in traffic. Fuel eco has gone to shit too, but the computer doesn't seem to realise cause it still spits out 8.5 L /100km which is standard for driving to work (maybe comp doesn't calculate idle petrol usage?). I do occasionally smell it running rich.

So I just cleaned the shit out of my IAC which was quite dirty, cleaned the rest of the TB, i had a look at the MAP sensor, but that looked clean, and the air temp sensor looked fine. Went for a drive and still nope. I don't hear any noticeable vacuum leaks either, but planning on removing the whole intake manifold on the weekend.

When it's warm it runs fine, it's just when i'm idling that I notice the dips, the only way i prevent it from happening is to cheat by turning on the AC.

Advertisement

Plugs were replaced about 2000kms ago, I haven't checked to see their condition though.

any ideas? its a 206

also, when inside the car in a quiet ambience. If you listen really carefully, as it dips and goes back up i hear tiny clicks, i tried seeing if i can hear anything while my bonnet is open. I can always induce it to dip down to 500ish when i tap on the throttle and let it rev, then wait for it to drop then climb back up

So it's a 206 1400? 8 valve? If so you have probably got a fault with iac motor or the engine breather fitting on the TB is blocked. . The iac is either sticking or not working in one spot. Very hard to prove without running an electronic test.

Quote Originally Posted by stew View Post
    So it's a 206 1400? 8 valve? If so you have probably got a fault with iac motor or the engine breather fitting on the TB is blocked. . The iac is either sticking or not working in one spot. Very hard to prove without running an electronic test.
    hey, no it's a 206 2.0. What voltages should I be reading? haynes doesn't have any of that sort of stuff To be honest, I may have spoken too soon. My cleaning up of the IAC didn't fix it entirely, but it is idling like 99% better now, I did notice it drop just once, and now I can't induce it like I said i could before by revving it up. So its as if most of the problem was the dirty IAC, but there might still be something else.

I haven't opened up my intake manifold cause the EAI guy hasn't even responded about gasket seals being in stock or not.

So its a 206 2.0l with a throttle cable. Id just take the body off and clean behind the butterfly as well. You've probably nailed it.

Thread Information