Sagging right rear - 1995 XR
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Sagging right rear - 1995 XR

My car has always sagged a bit on the rightside rear. By always I mean I started noticing about 4 years ago.

Anyway recently the sag has increased and the inside of the wheel rubs on the plastic lining on the wheel arch going over gutters, offcamber speed humps, with passengers, etc. There is less than a finger gap between the tyre and the inside of the arch so it's pretty tight. The left wheel has about a 2 or 3 fingers and there is no rubbing on that side at all.

Advertisement

There's been a few posts about this sort of problem on the forum and responses usually mention a worn torsion bar or tired damper but nothing definite, or what the fix was.

I'm due for new tyres soon and at 195/15/55 the rubbing will become alot more pronouced with the new tread. I could go down to 185 but that would just be a temporary solution to the rubbing and won't fix the sag problem.

1. What would be the most likely cause?

2. Any recommended places in Sydney for inexpensive suspension check/replacement?

Cheers all.

Any clunks or noise going over bumps?

Your rear beam needs rebuilding. If it has gone that far, you'll probably need a new trailing arm shafts and possibly even a replacement tube as well.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

No clunks or bumps.

As for rear beam rebuilding... ouch ...that sounds expensive.

Cheers

Yep, $800-$1200. You really should have addressed the issue earlier. 306's are the same as 205's in the rear end.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Yep, $800-$1200. You really should have addressed the issue earlier. 306's are the same as 205's in the rear end.
    That's teach me to listen to mechanics. I've asked several different mechanics that they check...nah they all said, suspension just a bit tired nothing to worry about

You can buy a 306 for $1200 now.

Thread Information