First time Pug owner
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default First time Pug owner

I have just bought my first Peugeot it's a 406 D9 diesel manual
    The journey begins
    I do 60K a year so I am looking forward to improved reliability over the Xantias

Advertisement

Hmm delicious. Hope she's good to you

1000+ Posts

On paper there are so many similarities between a 406 and a Xantia that your plan shouldn't really work. However, we also have bought a 406 this year - a D9 SV (V6) manual. At 243,000+ km, it has done more km than my Xantia Turbo (but is 3 years newer).

It needs engine mounts (eventually) and something is not quite right with the brakes (they work, but the pedal has too much travel), but overall it is in great condition for a 13 year old car. The engine uses no oil or water, and everything under the bonnet looks almost new - by comparison my Xantia has a blown head gasket , some hydraulic issues, and stuffed paint (OK it is red, but still...). Oh and the driver's footwell carpet is gradually collapsing because it got soaked with LHM when the brake valve boot split .

My wife is happy - she is driving a reliable, remarkably modern car (in all but body shape) with plenty of safety features. Yes it uses more fuel than your diesel, but was almost ridiculously cheap ($3,500)!!

The diesel should be at least as reliable as the V6, and you've got a simpler beast overall (no ESP etc.), so hope your strategy works - so far it's working for us . BTW - does yours have CANBUS or 'old fashioned' wiring?

Cheers

Alec

1000+ Posts

The HDI is a much better diesel motor compared to the D8 turbo diesel, and I believe easier to repair when needed. A friend of mine has one, the only real problem with the car was the fuel pump, a known issue When he bought it. $1200 I believe + labour, but the fuel gauge worked properly after that- its part of the assembly.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks fellows
    Those V6 motors are really quite special
    They seem unbreakable
    Excluding cam belts
    Which are not hard to change but not cheap
    Don't know about wiring versus digital bus system
    I pick it up shortly
    It is a late one
    The dials are white
    It's build year is 03 and first registered in 04

1000+ Posts

OK, if built in '03 it will be CANBUS - same system as in 307s and 407s. Only common problem with the CANBUS system that I know of was the blinker activation arm, which misbehaved on early CANBUS machines - especially 307s. Usual symptom was that automatic cancelling of blinker after a corner would overshoot, causing the other side blinker to start flashing.

Found this in a T5 307 I bought for my son. On a test drive, made sure I straightened up after a corner fairly smartly and sure enough, the other side blinker came on. Dealer agreed to fix it and were quite surprised to find the cost - over $1,000 RRP . I think they claimed it on an extended warranty, so they weren't actually out of pocket...

Hopefully someone has already replaced it on your car, because unlike the earlier system, you can't just replace the blinker arm - you have to remove the steering wheel and replace the whole mares nest.

Anyway, the HDi is a great motor - you should be pleased with the range you can get. I seem to recall that an AFer with a 406 diesel from Melbourne topped up their tank to the brim, pumped their tyres up to maximum pressure, and proceeded to drive to Sydney and back on a single tank of fuel!!

Cheers

Alec

Fellow Frogger!

Is that the same as cannibus

Well done, Sherman.

Diesels are way underrated in Oz, so the more the merrier. Many happy miles in it.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Recently drove my 2000 406HDi from Wellington, NSW to Fernvale Qld via Sydney. Spent a few days in Sydney. Refilled the car in Fernvale - 1450 km: 72.5 litres. Not bad for a car with 430K on the clock.

Fellow Frogger!

Just finished my first half tank 600km urban driving or is that urbane driving?
    This will save over $100 per week
    So much Torque i don't even notice my trailer

1000+ Posts

Word is that Sherman used to drive a Tank but now he drives a Peugeot-AND he KNOWS that there is a difference.

Happy Driving!

Fellow Frogger!

Xantia does not equal "tank"

Thread Information