205 lock-in problem
  • Register
  • Help

205 lock-in problem

Can anyone help out with ideas on this obscure problem............

Advertisement

When I open the drivers door of my 91 205GTI from the inside, the lock button slips down slightly as the internal door handle is pulled. Only a couple of millimetres, but enough to make the door lock.....all by itself!

The only way to open the door from the inside is to hold up the lock button at the same time as pulling the inside door handle.

This does not worry me unduly - I have lived with it for over 2 years - but now my friendly neighbourhood Warrant of Fitness Testers have decided that having to use 2 hands to open a door from the inside poses a serious safety issue, and won't issue a WOF until it is fixed

I have the door panel off but there is nothing obvious wrong with the various rods which connect the handles to the lock and catch. Apart from that it's pretty difficult to see what's going on in there!

Has anyone ever experienced a similar problem, or have any ideas on what the cause could be?

Could it simply be a worn central locking motor which has got sloppy and is allowing the lock rod to slip downwards? I don't really want to replace it until I know for sure that's the source of the problem.

Comments would be much appreciated.......

Cheers
    Mark

I don't have any experiences with 205 door locks, I'm afraid, but it may be possible to interpose something to prevent the knob from falling so far. A judiciously placed rubber band pulling up the shaft perhaps?

There is often some adjustment possible in the position of the electronic actuators. Is it possible to slacken the bolts holding on the actuator and readjust it slightly, for example? Or to slightly bend a shaft to achieve the same effect?

Sometimes , too, the plastic clips that hold unions between shafts and have bneen lost or broken and change the relationship between the items a little. If the actuator is still working I'd be doing this sort of fiddling, rather than replacing it.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Thanks for the ideas, Rod.

Unfortunately there is no adjustment possible on the central locking actuator fitted to my car, apart from reversing the whole unit, which brings it out of line with the lock button.

I tried removing the actuator altogether but it doesn't cure the problem.
    It appears to be part of the latch mechanism connected to the handle fouling the part of the mechanism connected to the lock button, as it pivots. None of the components look damaged or bent (although it is almost impossible to get a decent view from the small hole in the inner door panel, even with a torch and a mirror!).

A liberal application of CRC all over the lock and latch mechanism has improved the situation slightly, but I need it to be 100% to get through the WOF.

Replacing the whole latch mechanism looks like a complicated job

Regards
    Mark

Thread Information