MAF/MAP Sensor
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: MAF/MAP Sensor

Icon5 MAF/MAP Sensor

Hi Everyone

I'm trying to find out if I have a MAF or a MAP sensor in my GTi 180 and if so where I can find it as I haven't been able to find anything in the air box or pipe to the engine that looks like a little sensor that may need cleaning.

Advertisement

Cheers for your help

Hi flurry,

It has a MAP sensor.

It's at the front of the intake but perhaps not that easy to see.

Refer pic for Peugeot parts diagram. It's the highlighted bit.

Why do you think it needs cleaning?

MAF/MAP Sensor-gti180map.jpg
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Hello

Yeah thats the thing. Well I'm getting the dreaded anti pollution error with engine light and the car feels like its running on 2 or 3 cylinders. I thought maybe that little sensor was clogged up with dirt but I managed to get it out and it looks pretty clean.

The other odd thing is when I run through the BSI reset process the car runs fine again for random periods of time and then while driving along up comes the error again and we are back to lumpy 2 cylinder mode.

Any thoughts what this might be? The car has had new plugs, oil change and now has 98 RON fuel with octane boost in it. I have to admit I did run her or crappy E10 for a few tanks and then this all started. I also checked the coil pack with a multimeter and the readouts all seemed good so I'm not sure if thats dying on me.

Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    Hi flurry,

It has a MAP sensor.

It's at the front of the intake but perhaps not that easy to see.

Refer pic for Peugeot parts diagram. It's the highlighted bit.

Why do you think it needs cleaning?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GTi180MAP.jpg 
Views:	16713 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	48667

you need to plug it in to a diag. tool like peugeot planet 2000 or get it done at the mechanics. i pin pointed my fault to be the hydraulic lifters 'riding' open leaving a rich fuel mixture. the fault triggers around 2-5 mins after start up. turn the car off and on again fault clears and it should be running back on 4 cyl. when warm. the cost of replacing lifters or followers is a lot. if they need to remove the head your looking at 3k. but apparently if its just the lifters not followers then you dont need to remove the head(well for the gti 138 at least) not sure about the 180.

yeah we tried that last night (another forum member was kind enough to drop by and read the codes for me) but for some reason the car wouldnt talk back to the reader, needless to say we are going to have another go at reading the codes again and hopefully we can get something out of the ecu. Also I've been getting white smoke with what appears to be water droplets from the exhaust, the weird thing is I dont appear to be using up any water, I've never let the car boil and it smells like fuel in the air but the actual liquid on the ground is odourless, so I'm not sure if its got a cracked head or the gasket is going :-(

If you're getting water vapour (white smoke) only on startup, it can be simple condensation in the exhaust system.

Plus, don't forget, the result of a complete burning of fuel is CO2 and yes, you guessed it - water.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

if the smoke is really thick and white then its coolant that is being combusted, someone correct me but one quick way to check is to see if your coolant levels are getting really low

It's quite thin white smoke, almost like steam really. I think it goes away after the engine has warmed up so hopefully it's not a head failure.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Thread Information