French car sales people...
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    nJm

French car sales people...

I was rather excited as today we were setting out to test drive some 406s and volvos.

We decided our first port of call should be Brighton Citroen, as it was the furthest away. Well, the whole experience has put dad off looking at cars this weekend, and possibly buying a peugeot. They had 2 406s, a white ST with 68k km and a blue one with a sunroof and 82k kms. We looked at them, noticed they were locked and went in to ask for assistance (that's right, they didn't come out to us). The young lady who assisted us was extremely unhelpful and rude. When she asked which 406 we were interested in, dad said he wasn't sure. He wanted to drive both to see if one seemed better than the other (kms, condition etc). She then told us straight out they don't let people test drive cars. We would have to be serious in buying one particular car before they gave us the keys . Dad outlined quite clearly that he was serious, he wanted to buy within the next few weeks, and the only way he'd know if he wanted to buy a 406 is if he could drive one! She eventually compromised by offering to book a test drive for the following weekend . Dad has decided not to return to Citroen Brighton.

Next stop, Volvo - where they serve you light meals and coffee while considering your next purchase...

Advertisement
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

ash
    They're only a very new dealership - and from the sound of that, probably fairly new to the game as well. I daresay they're not going to stay in business too long with an attitude to customer service such as it is there. Then again, it may be that they're just trying to fit in with the rest of the Brighton-ites...?

*duck*

mallet
    1998 Xantia V6 Exclusive
    //\\ 1975 DS23 Pallas //\\ 1987 BX19 GTi //\\ 1985 BX16 TRS

1000+ Posts
    Non-Profit Organisation

I got a test run in a new Volkswagen Golf in Camberwell not long ago, just pointed to the Cressida, told them it was old and that I wanted a new car within 2 weeks....
    Tim

2016 Lexus RX450h

nJm
    Well that's what dad thought. It isn't like he is a 18 year old looking for fun. He wants a nice comfortable car and wants to trade in the Magna. Mind you, he suspects they wouldn't be too keen to take the Magna either.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Thats awful Nick. When I bought mine at Regans there were no restraints at all on drive time etc. No booking needed. Nothing like that.

When I decided I wanted it I needed it in a hurry and they moved heaven and earth to have it ready within twenty four hours, with a new windsceen, full service etc. They didn't have time to get it fully detailed, so I brought it back a couple of thousand K's later (after a couple of weeks in Mallacoota) and they did it then, with a loan car for the day while they did. Even lent me some roof bars for the trip!

I'd have to say I couldn't have been happier about the treatment.

Like I said, go and see Glenn at Regans if you haven't ended up with a Swedish box as a result. Bloody Citroen dealers!

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 24 May 2003, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

ash,

Sure they're a new dealership, but they're owned by the former owners of Straightway, and some of their staff are from Straightway Peugeot.

In any case, you don't need experience to have customer service and common sense ability.

Don't worry too much about the Magna, a lot of dealers just flock off the trade ins off to wholesalers.

I got the 307 from Regans and dealt with Glenn. He is a good person to deal with. We bought the car in less than half an hour as we had driven the car elsewhere, so I can't comment on their test drive policy from personal experience. I know another 307 driver who was told off by another Regans salesman during the test drive for activating the wipers instead of the indicators (pretty unfair, given that he was used to driving local cars). Others have just been given the keys. Just see how things go.

When we collected the car, we had a good lesson on the cars various features. In all honesty, I think the only feature not demonstrated was the auto windows/sunroof shut feature with the remote. However, whilst the car was reasonably clean, there were scratches on the inside part of the windscreen, dandruff on the rear headrests and some grease marks on the side of the car. To be honest, I just wanted to drive the car home!

Last year was the first year they lost their top sales position in Australia, and this year they're just ahead of Blairs in Victoria (City Peugeot out front) for some reason. They do have the right attitudes, but they do need to actually reinvest in the brand. The shack they operate out of, really isn't competitive for what is a growing prestige brand (lets be frank, Peugeot's image here is different to its image in Euro markets).

Regards,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Pug307:
    ash,

Sure they're a new dealership, but they're owned by the former owners of Straightway, and some of their staff are from Straightway Peugeot.
    I actually spoke to them when they were "Straightways" about one of these cars (the blue one with the sunroof). It had just come in the day I ended up getting mine from Regans, but I didn't have time to go down to take a look. The guy I spoke to was helpful enough, but to what extent the staff have changed goodness only knows.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

nJm
    The blue one with the sunroof is quite nice. It is a 1998 model, all looks to be in good condition. I did notice a bit of a dent in the rear bumper though (and a chip in the pain of the body work were the bumper joins on.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Jusr regarding Salespeople/Service. When i bought my pug i was young, had no trade-in, had no ready deposit, didn't have any finance option, nor did i have a senior with me. Me and mate just rolled up to British and Continental (they sell mainly Pugs and Volvos) and asked for a test drive, we took the S16 out with him for about 1/2 hour.
    They were asking $27,990. back then (98), the car was immaculate, with low K's and all possible extras. (includig rare full leather).
    They did everything for me, organised 40%no-claim comprehensive insurance, reasonable finance and a free taxi from my house to the yard when it was ready to pick up.
    At singing I also was surpised to find that they were going to have a sale soon, so they droped the car down to $26 even, as thats what they were going to put it on sale for the following weekend. With interest the finance came to $29,700, plus firstyear insurance was $2200 comp, on my name, which i hd to get as part of the deal, fair as i wanted insurance anyway. For wich i paid i cash.
    Best service ever....
    Xq
    ... ptui!

When looking to buy my first car I was sent away by Universe Motors in Richmond....and told to come back with my mummy mallet

I never had any problems with the old City Peugeot, might be worth trying them again at their new business.
    Spencer St. Automobiles, near Dudley St. in the city.
    They've got a few pugs in stock.

I bought my 505 in Bundaberg about two years ago. Its a third generation family business that have been selling peugeots for about 40 odd years. When i went to collect my car the family orientation was very evident - right down to a very old lady giving the windscreen of my car a nice little wipe with some windex. My dad who was with me had never been in a peugeot before and was keen to take a 406 in the showroom for a spin - the dealer ummed and errred for a while, finally saying no as it was raining and he didn't want it to get wet! My impressions since this time from when I drop my car in for it's service is that this place is more like the RSPCA for unloved peugeots - the dealer called me across one day to point out a 605 that was in getting a service also - he was most upset about all the dents in the pannels and the rips in the leather. He went on to tell me that he'd offered to buy the car back off the guy - to which the customer had said no.

My first job selling cars was at a F**d dealer.
    A guy rolled in one day looking like a reject from a St Vinnies soup kitchen & proceeded to start looking at all the new cars on the floor.
    The phone rang in the sales office and the manager asked me to look after the *gentleman* on the floor as the salesman on duty was "busy" so out I went & spoke to him. He wanted to see utes mainly as well as a "Good lookin' car fer tha missus" so I took him across to look at a Futura.
    He asked about a discount for cash if he bought a "few" and when I walked in to see the manager I was effectively told not to waste time on him but to offer $xxxx just in case.
    With that I sat him down & started drawing paperwork up when suddenly the manager appeared at the door & patronisingly said "you can go now Alan, Bob can handle it from here" Up jumped my "dero" who in no uncertain terms told the manager that him & Bob could both 'go & get#$%^&*' if they thought that the only guy in the place who was prepared to talk to him wasn't going to get the credit & the commission for the sale; they didn't think he was good enough to talk to when he came in & as far as he was concerned, they weren't good enough for him to talk to now!! 'Make up your minds; do you want to sell me these vehicles or not. If you do, just piss off & leave this fella to it, OK?' "I hate bastards like that don't you?" says he as the other two retreared from the office.
    Next big shock was he wanted immediate delivery & how he paid; went out to the old Jeep he was driving & returned with a biscuit tin he retrieved from under the back, and when he said cash....he meant it!! All in tenners.
    Naturally, I not only rubbed the noses of the rest of the sales staff in that one but also the two other GM dealers in town who had almost shown this guy the door. I eventually went on to sell him more vehicles & I was the only one he'd buy off, often just over the phone, so the moral of the story is any salesman/person (gotta be politically correct) roll_lau roll_lau who is stupid enough to carry on like a self stuffed goose when a buyer comes in are using car selling as a temporary position; that attitude will always come back & bite them.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Alan i don;t mean to question your judgement. But when he handed over cash i the manner that he did, was there a point at which you wondered were was he getting whole notes from and if it wasn't stolen money?? obviously though he turned into a good customer.
    cheers Xq
    ... ptui!

I suppose I could say "Never look a gift horse in the mouth" but I seem to have a nose for honest old toilers against smooth cons.
    Another time I took another dero looking type to a bank at Salisbury in Brisbane to draw out money to buy a car for his "lad." He stood at the counter & fanned out the Bank Books like deck of cards, the teller excused himself, went out the back & as he returned we had a security guard "requesting" we come around to the managers office. He asked for ID off the old guy, made a phone call back to this guys home town then got off the phone, apologised for any inconvenience, called for a cuppa for the old boy & gave us VIP treatment from then until we left. I saw the amounts in a couple of the fistful of bank books he opened & I can understand why they thought he'd flogged 'em.
    Either I'm a good judge of character or I attract dero looking types.....dunno what it is. mallet mallet

Alan S whistle

Don't know if Alan was in Queensland at that stage, but if you looked every rough neck back on the basis of his looks and a desire to pay cash in the northern parts of Australia you'd do yourself out of more than a few quid! That's the way tghings work in many places up there.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

when i went to buy my car, i was in the showroom looking at Cits for about 25mins, 2 other "lookers" recieved attention before i did. i was being treated like i had some kind of disease, knowone wanted to bother to help me. Finally when i bailed up a "busy" salesperson and told them my expressison of interest in the Xsara, he told me to sit and wait another 15mins while he had a coffee in his office...

then when i showed them the money, they couldn't have been nicer.... mallet

Xsara:
    when i went to buy my car, i was in the showroom looking at Cits for about 25mins, 2 other "lookers" recieved attention before i did. i was being treated like i had some kind of disease, knowone wanted to bother to help me. Finally when i bailed up a "busy" salesperson and told them my expressison of interest in the Xsara, he told me to sit and wait another 15mins while he had a coffee in his office...

then when i showed them the money, they couldn't have been nicer.... mallet
    Mate, when they treat you like that, you walk out, buy it elsewhere & then take it back to them and ask if they sell accessories and tell them (or preferrably the sales manager) what a pity you had to buy it off the opposition. roll_lau roll_lau
    And Rod, it was in Queensland & in those days, collars & ties were more the order of the day; particularly this Ford franchise that was a bit uppity (probably why I didn't stay there long) but it was before we had the influx of ferals that have invaded the place in more recent times. mallet mallet

Alan S

NJM, you said.....
    "We looked at them, noticed they were locked and went in to ask for assistance"

Were they closed at the time or what?
    Why would you make an appointment then not turn up?

I have found the young woman you spoke of to be a ripper person.

<small>[ 25 May 2003, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Warwick2 ]</small>
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

And Rod, it was in Queensland & in those days, collars & ties were more the order of the day; particularly this Ford franchise that was a bit uppity (probably why I didn't stay there long) but it was before we had the influx of ferals that have invaded the place in more recent times.
    Hi Alan. Rather than ferals I was thinking of the blokes off pastoral stations and mining operations in the outer regions. One guy I knew up in the NT used to spend next to nothing all year, drew whatever he had out of the bank in cash when he went on holiday (usually something like the equivalent of $20,000 or $30,000 today) , and would then blow it all in a week in a town like Katherine, or Isa, or Cloncurry.

He'd come back with a car, or with stories of race horses he'd bought, or wild times.

Looked like a dog's breakfast. Smelt like a dog's breakfast. But anyone who pointed his nose in the air when he was on his annual "outing" wanting to do business would have been making a significant financial error! There were plenty more like him.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Gem
    I was recently shopping for a car, I went to an average dealership in Moorooka, in Brisbane, and test drove a eunos. When we got back, I was with my father, and he casually asked what was the best price we coud get for cash. The salesman asked us to come into his office, and began to draw up numbers and everything else. After about 2 mins of his time, we looked at the price, said thankyou, and we might be back as this was the first car we had looked at. The salesman began to get abusive, saying that we had "lead him on and wasted his time". I felt like I was dumping him at the altar. I had never encountered salespeople to be like this before and was quite in shock. Now looking back on it, I realise he was using sales pressure to get me to buy the vehicle. Well, my father, after seeing the salesman talk to me like I was a piece of dirt, put him in his place quite promptly.
    I was really interested in the car, but decided I didnt want to buy from a butthole.
    And then I found my pug so it all worked out for the best!
    ~ gemma ~
    '95 306 S16
    [MYS16]

Azide tastes nice on my cereal.

nJm
    Warwick2:
    NJM, you said.....
    "We looked at them, noticed they were locked and went in to ask for assistance"

Were they closed at the time or what?
    Why would you make an appointment then not turn up?

I have found the young woman you spoke of to be a ripper person.
    Yes the cars were closed. The dealer was definately open...

I had called in the morning to make sure the two cars were there. A man said they were, so I said we'd be there in the afternoon to have a look. We got there around 2:30.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Goes from bad to worse. I'd been assuming that you had "cold called". Even then it would have been hopeless sales technique.

But if you had rung and said you were coming it is absolutely ridiculous and offensive behaviour from them. Sounds to me as if at least one of their staff should be looking for a different "career path" (sounds like she might fit in quite well with the "non service" philosophy on the checkouts at our local BiLo supermarket!) and the management should be taking a good hard look at themselves..

Are they still recognised Peugeot dealers? If so I'd be complaining to the national office. Or perhaps they have already lost their franchise for similar stuff.

Real Peugeot dealers in my experience aren't usually like that.

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 25 May 2003, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

From what I've read, Straightway has come under new ownership, as advertised last week.

Citroen Brighton is related to the former Straightway, and it seems that a good deal of former staff have headed that way. The fact that several Peugeots have headed that way seeems to support this. In any case, I doubt something with a "Citroen" in its name counts as an official Peugeot dealer.

I'm sure these experiences aren't typical, but they certainly shouldn't happen. People should realise that a lot of sales is simply selling yourself and word of mouth is very powerful thanks to its credibility. People have choice, they aren't the only 406 dealer in the land. If staff are so indifferent in the sale, what hope is there post-purchase when you need help with the car?

Looks like the mob at Citroen Brighton aren't a great bunch. In any case, seems like there are a few giving the place a bad reputation. Wasn't it pugjet who talked about their indifference when helping someone buy a car?

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

[/QB]Originally posted by Alan S:
    Mate, when they treat you like that, you walk out, buy it elsewhere & then take it back to them and ask if they sell accessories and tell them (or preferrably the sales manager) what a pity you had to buy it off the opposition. roll_lau roll_lau
    And Rod, it was in Queensland & in those days, collars & ties were more the order of the day; particularly this Ford franchise that was a bit uppity (probably why I didn't stay there long) but it was before we had the influx of ferals that have invaded the place in more recent times. mallet mallet

Alan S[/QB]
    the funny thing is, now that when i take my car there, they cant get enough of it, and i get " *extra special service care* of the guys, and they go out of their way to help me and show me whats new in the Citroen range, and what to expect.

Thing is Xsara, now you've already got a car, you're a different kettle of fish; they don't have to look upon you as an object of great mystery. You've spent the money hence passed the test. Gem was in the same position as you were when this tyre kicker started his capers. I'd just sack a salesman on the spot if I caught him doing the type of things Gem spoke about; no risk. Been there done that. They are a liability to the long term reputation of any sales yard. BTW Gem, I think I know who you were at, even though I don't frequent Bris all that often these days, but if you want to see the size of operation I managed, have a look at 800 Ipswich Road; that's where I lived & worked but it ain't what it was when I was there. mallet mallet

Alan S cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information