203 Shock Absorbers and Diff Oil
  • Register
  • Help

Default 203 Shock Absorbers and Diff Oil

Advice needed. As the lever action shock absorbers which will go on my 203 appear to be leaking I feel that new seals are in order. Can anyone recommend, from direct experience, someone to recondition them? One name I have is Proven Products in Albury - but this info may be old. I also need some similarly positive info on diff oil for worm drives. Whilst I appreciate that this subject has been raised before on this forum no firm conclusion seems to have been reached on a readily available product. The reply "the best is XYZ - bought four gallons in 1963 and am still using it" is, for me. less than helpful. Is a suitable vegetable oil still available locally or are we stuck with the mineral oil available from Penrite? I notice that vegetable oil is still sold in France (huile ricinee or castor oil). Given the number of worm drive Peugeots still on the road in Australia surely someone must have found recent need to purchase some diff oil. Finally, please look at my wanted ad for 203 bits. Thanks.

Advertisement

It looks like Castrol STH 140 has been overtaken by Castrol Optigear BM 460. The Castrol site claims that this oil (presumably mineral) is suitable for non-ferrous worm drives and specifically for Peugeot. Is there any experience out there? My problem is that I now have a cleaned out diff and need to make a decision whether to use a mineral or vegetable oil. This decision will include consideration of oil availability for the foreseeable future given that I would be changing it regularly (and even more regularly for a vegetable oil).

VIP Sponsor

The PCCV sources Shell oil in bulk, glycol based I believe.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Commerciale View Post
    Advice needed. As the lever action shock absorbers which will go on my 203 appear to be leaking I feel that new seals are in order. Can anyone recommend, from direct experience, someone to recondition them? One name I have is Proven Products in Albury - but this info may be old. I also need some similarly positive info on diff oil for worm drives. Whilst I appreciate that this subject has been raised before on this forum no firm conclusion seems to have been reached on a readily available product. The reply "the best is XYZ - bought four gallons in 1963 and am still using it" is, for me. less than helpful. Is a suitable vegetable oil still available locally or are we stuck with the mineral oil available from Penrite? I notice that vegetable oil is still sold in France (huile ricinee or castor oil). Given the number of worm drive Peugeots still on the road in Australia surely someone must have found recent need to purchase some diff oil. Finally, please look at my wanted ad for 203 bits. Thanks.

Hi Graham. Any idea of the Shell grade? Glycol - are you sure?? I thought ethyl glycol was a mineral coolant/antifreeze agent. Do you mean castor oil? Is this indicative of the fact that many PCCV members are using Shell diff oil (mineral or vegetable) with satisfactory results? If so, this is the sort of advice I am seeking. Cheers, Tony

VIP Sponsor

That is what we were told.
    Have a look at this:http://www.dow.com/stle/pdfs/stle_in...nts_052011.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Commerciale View Post
    Hi Graham. Any idea of the Shell grade? Glycol - are you sure?? I thought ethyl glycol was a mineral coolant/antifreeze agent. Do you mean castor oil? Is this indicative of the fact that many PCCV members are using Shell diff oil (mineral or vegetable) with satisfactory results? If so, this is the sort of advice I am seeking. Cheers, Tony

Aha - polyakalylene glycol - different beast altogether. Is this oil Shell Omala S4 WE by any chance?

Check with PCCV who seem to have Shell synthetic. I have used Mobil Glycoyle 30 in my 203 for years, including on the Redex rerun when I brought my 203 over from NZ............many didn't think I should but the stuff is used in industrial worm gears & I also use it in my 403, 404. The Greek Goana in Sydney supplied me with the equivalent Shell product in small quantity as back up when Mobil would sell only 20L. The PCCV Shell stuff is the same as the Mobil I am pretty sure.

Thread Information