Upgrade to 306XSI
  • Register
  • Help

Default Upgrade to 306XSI

Thinking of upgrading to an XSI! What are the benefits and what are the pitfalls? Auto or Manual? Considering distance on the odometer, at what point is it a matter of buyer beware? which is a better model? I would be very interested in any comments before I put my hand in my pocket.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by PeterR View Post
    Thinking of upgrading to an XSI! What are the benefits and what are the pitfalls? Auto or Manual? Considering distance on the odometer, at what point is it a matter of buyer beware? which is a better model? I would be very interested in any comments before I put my hand in my pocket.
    My Girlfriends manual XSI is a blast to drive and has proven very reliable "touch wood". Apart from a recent broken clutch cable no problems in the years we've had it. It has done over 330,000 kms and engine is still strong uses no oil and leaks nothing. still has original clutch. I am about to do the front control arm bushes as these are worn from being driven a lot on rough roads. but it drives great on dirt I think they're a great little car... oh and with the seats down it can still fit my double bass!!! very important

which is a better model?
    Are you asking which is better between an auto or manual XSi or are you wanting to compare it to some other previously not-mentioned car?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

GTi6 GTi6! That is if you don't need a 5dr. Manual all the way if sticking to an XSi.

Quote Originally Posted by SamT View Post
    oh and with the seats down it can still fit my double bass!!! very important
    Damn straight! I've put my 29er MTB in the back of mine.
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Basically, I want to get some opinions on the best option to get the most suitable vehicle. I am aware that one can get caught with higher kilometers on the clock and may be buying another person's problems. My own 306 at 160,000 k has given no trouble. I have renewed rotors: no problem with clutch, no problems with manual gearbox or anything else for that matter.

Fellow Frogger!

A little while ago I considered upgrading my 1998 N5 XSi to a GTI6, but I couldn't justify the cost of swapping my perfectly running XSi for an unknown car.

Benefits are having 5 doors and the 2L engine has enough power to keep me happy for now. Mine is an auto but its the ZF 4HP14, not an AL4. I would have preferred the manual, but when I bought it I needed a car quick and it was a price that was too good to refuse.

Having had mine for 15 months, the only issues I've had was a power steering pump mounting bolt fail (jamming the pulley and stopping the auxiliary belt) and the fuel pump go. It was a bit neglected and only had a limited service history but was running like a dream after a service. It's on 180,000km now and it had 163,000 when I bought it. I guess the auto can be a bit thirsty at 10+ litres of 98 octane per 100km in the city (but I'm usually the quickest from the lights if that gives you an idea of how I drive ). Country cruising has gotten me 800km off a tank though.

Fellow Frogger!

From what are you upgrading?
    We have had a series of 306, current is an XSi, son in the UK has a Gti6. They are a blast, cooling system bleeding is a pain in the butt, but once you know how it is not too bad. Heaps of room, seats fold down for a mini station wagon.

Thread Information