ES9J4S Spark Plugs Replacement: Awesome effect on the Engine!
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: ES9J4S Spark Plugs Replacement: Awesome effect on the Engine!

Default ES9J4S Spark Plugs Replacement: Awesome effect on the Engine!

Spark Plugs replacement: ES9J4S

Since I got my SV D9, I observed that she would idle roughly at cold start for some minutes. Sometimes, it would misfire. But would go away until the engine warm up. Well, since I wasn't getting any fault stored in the ECU suggesting an issue, I ignored it.

Last Sunday, I drove to Nyanya for a meeting with the SV. On my way back, some joined me to drop them off in town (3 passengers). From nowhere, the car lost all power while climbing the Kubo hill. She was just crawling, no matter how hard I depressed the throttle pedal. It was the first time I carried such number of persons in her. I was really disturbed. A V6, crawling like a 50 hp car! It was that serious.

Since there was no error code stored, I decided to change what I have been suspecting all these while I got the car: spark plugs. The engine came with Platinum spark plugs: Bosch FR85PP332. Also, two more were recommended by Peugeot: Bosch FGR8MQPE & 9657642680. The Peugeot part number is RP596060. But because of two many fake Bosch spark plugs in the market, I decided to buy NGK platinum that would match. So, yesterday, I eventually bought NGK LFR5AGP, stock # 5018. The 6 of them cost 12k. Yes, N12,000, about $75 USD (it was painful spending that amount on just spark plug. But since Peugeot recommend Platinum spark plugs for that engine, I had to stick to it.

I replaced the spark plugs later in the evening yesterday. Replacing spark plug on ES9J4S can be a pain. To get to the 3 spark plugs on bank 2 , the intake manifold need to come off. It took me 3 hours to get the intake manifold off and the spark plug replaced. But at least, I won't go there again for a very long time, since the Platinum spark plugs last 100,000 km, unlike the conventional or copper spark plugs that last only 20,000 km.

Advertisement

I started the engine and it rough idled and took longer crank to start. I then knew the ECU needed to re-learn and adapt to the new components installed. So, I took it for a drive, drove back after about 5 mins. I let the engine to idle, left the AC on and came out of the car. But I wasn't hearing the fan spinning. I checked, the fan was on speed 1, but the speed 2 would always come on anytime I switched the AC on (the noisy speed). I was worried. So I checked all the fuses, both on the BSM and fuse box under the steering wheel and they were all ok. I then pulled out the front grille and checked the 3 relays that control the fans. They were all ok. Yet the speed 2 wouldn't come on, only the speed 1 was on. I connected my PP2000 and checked the fans operation. The PP2000 showed there was no fault in the fans system. Then a thought crossed my mind. I switched off the engine, waited for 2 mins or so and started the car again. This time, the speed 2 came on, spinned for like a min and went off, leaving speed 1 on. I did that because when an engine goes off, the cooling system will go hotter since the fans cooling the engine will be off. It will take more mins before the coolant temperature will start going low. So, the test confirmed that the speed 2 was still intact.

What it means is that all these while, the engine was running hotter because of the failing spark plugs, which was why the speed 2 would come on as soon I switched on the AC. Because the engine would have to labour more to power the AC, since the spark plugs have failed, though not completely. But now, the idling is perfect and AC load is no longer an issue.

This morning, I was really amazed on how the car was moving smoothly. I never knew the engine was not running fine all those while. Now, the engine torque at low rpm is really amazing. Am yet to check the fuel consumption since last night. But if the car would average about 39 mpg with faulty spark plugs on expressway, I wonder what she would give now. I love French technology! Now I don't use throttle pedal to move the car from stationary. No matter how high a hill is, the car would just start moving as I gradually release my foot from the clutch pedal.

So, if your radiator fans switch to speed 2 whenever you switch on your AC, then something is wrong. If you are not too sure when the spark plugs were replaced by the previous owner before you bought her, it would make sense to replace them with quality spark plugs and not with wrong ones. The $75 USD spent was worth it. Will attach pictures taken while the job was going on

Please, I want to use this opportunity to thank a friend, Scotty (Demannu) who was very helpful in choosing the right spark plugs. He has also been helpful in guilding me on how to keep the SV D9 in good shape. I appreciate. Find pictures attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ES9J4S Spark Plugs Replacement: Awesome effect on the Engine!-080.jpg   ES9J4S Spark Plugs Replacement: Awesome effect on the Engine!-081.jpg   ES9J4S Spark Plugs Replacement: Awesome effect on the Engine!-083.jpg   ES9J4S Spark Plugs Replacement: Awesome effect on the Engine!-084.jpg   ES9J4S Spark Plugs Replacement: Awesome effect on the Engine!-085.jpg   ES9J4S Spark Plugs Replacement: Awesome effect on the Engine!-086.jpg  

ES9J4S Spark Plugs Replacement: Awesome effect on the Engine!-087.jpg   ES9J4S Spark Plugs Replacement: Awesome effect on the Engine!-088.jpg  

More pics. Please, note that I forgot to snap while disconnecting the vacuum lines from the Motorised Throttle Body and Intake Manifold. A big omission.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ES9J4S Spark Plugs Replacement: Awesome effect on the Engine!-089.jpg   ES9J4S Spark Plugs Replacement: Awesome effect on the Engine!-090.jpg   ES9J4S Spark Plugs Replacement: Awesome effect on the Engine!-091.jpg   ES9J4S Spark Plugs Replacement: Awesome effect on the Engine!-092.jpg   ES9J4S Spark Plugs Replacement: Awesome effect on the Engine!-093.jpg   ES9J4S Spark Plugs Replacement: Awesome effect on the Engine!-095.jpg  

ES9J4S Spark Plugs Replacement: Awesome effect on the Engine!-096.jpg   ES9J4S Spark Plugs Replacement: Awesome effect on the Engine!-097.jpg  

Finally,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ES9J4S Spark Plugs Replacement: Awesome effect on the Engine!-098.jpg   ES9J4S Spark Plugs Replacement: Awesome effect on the Engine!-100.jpg   ES9J4S Spark Plugs Replacement: Awesome effect on the Engine!-101.jpg  

The fuel level on the fuel gauge refused to drop since morning I was moving about with the Lion. Even if it did, I couldn't tell, because it was at the same spot I met it this morning while driving in into my office compound this evening.

As for the mpg, am yet to take the car for a long drive, since the engine needs to warm up to get the true mpg out of it.

Don't get me wrong, I love Pugs, but what kind of a design is it that you have to take the intake manifold off to change the spark plugs!? Ridiculous... Imagine the added service cost to the owner that can't/won't do their own servicing. Or is that part of a modern car factory service conspiracy?
    205 gti-6

205 track car build in progress http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Most, if not all the modern v6's are the same. The Pajero is a huge job to change plugs, and I believe Toyota's are nearly as bad.

Terry

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Even some of the old V8 from years back required the lifting of the engine and removal of the mounts to access the plugs on the rear bank.

Still it's a bloody stupid design. But hey if you buy a East/West V6 ( or V8 ) your going to expect "fun" to access the rear bank for any reason.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Hope you remembered to check the spark plug gap!
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by patpug View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I love Pugs, but what kind of a design is it that you have to take the intake manifold off to change the spark plugs!? Ridiculous... Imagine the added service cost to the owner that can't/won't do their own servicing. Or is that part of a modern car factory service conspiracy?
    Most fwd V6-engined vehicles are the same (especially ones without a narrow angle V6) - it's not a Peugeot phenomenon. It's what happens when you put a big engine in a little car.

Mitsubishi's take was to only have platinum plugs on the rear bank, so they could be changed at 100k, while the front bank were standard plugs that were changed every 20k

Which is the better method?

I don't think taking the inlet manifold off to get to the starter on a 205 is much chop either, but it's very effective
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    I don't think taking the inlet manifold off to get to the starter on a 205 is much chop either, but it's very effective

Ha ha, that's very true - except I take the radiator out instead :-P
    205 gti-6

205 track car build in progress http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

1000+ Posts

Thanks Ikenna - you've inspired me to get on and do mine. I checked the gaps on the front 3 a few months ago - the gaps were double what they should have been, so electrodes have obviously been burnt away. I am guessing that the wide gap is making the coils work harder - don't want to shorten their life!

Question(s) to the experts - although platinum plugs are expected to last 100,000km, shouldn't they be regapped occasionally? And if so, after how many km. I'm guessing they should be checked after 50,000km...

Does the intake manifold have a gasket? What else should be replaced when changing plugs (assuming coils are good)?

Cheers

Alec

Edited.
    Last edited by Ikenna351; 7th October 2013 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    Thanks Ikenna - you've inspired me to get on and do mine. I checked the gaps on the front 3 a few months ago - the gaps were double what they should have been, so electrodes have obviously been burnt away. I am guessing that the wide gap is making the coils work harder - don't want to shorten their life!

Question(s) to the experts - although platinum plugs are expected to last 100,000km, shouldn't they be regapped occasionally? And if so, after how many km. I'm guessing they should be checked after 50,000km...

Does the intake manifold have a gasket? What else should be replaced when changing plugs (assuming coils are good)?

Cheers

Alec
    Yes, the intake Manifold has a gasket. Mine is still intact. So, you may not need to replace it while re-mounting the Intake manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikenna351 View Post
    Edited
    As for ES9J4S spark plug, I found this: http://ngkntk.co.uk/wp-content/uploa...t-2013-new.pdf and this: http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/p...ics/3787?var=1
    Last edited by Ikenna351; 7th October 2013 at 07:58 PM.

As Ikenna has found out the hard way, not all mechanics are doyens of excellent mechanical workmanship. The original/replacement Bosch sparkplugs maybe counterfeit or have been given a quick dose of the 'gas axe' to dry them out after fouling and to encourage them to start a reluctant engine. OK one or twice but after that the chances are that the plug will have developed a fault, the main one is cracks in the electrode cover or a 'glaze' on the electrode. The glaze is a really great insulator and 'strangles' the spark, it does take time but as the plug wears the spark fails to jump as required and the engine performance drops. Basically cleaning and gapping a spark plug creates a 'new' surface across the electricity can jump, nothing more or less and it effects electronic ignition as much as points....just takes longer to occur and some of the plugs I've pulled out engines amaze me that they actually did still fire, most of the time. Try 215000 km plugs when they should of been replaced at 100000 km. Not pretty but did it fix the hard starting when cold and the rough idle when using the A/C. Brendan.

Prior before the replacement of my SV D9 spark plugs, each time I plugged in my PP2000, I would get:

- Intermittent fault. Rear pre-catalyser. Ageing (P0430).

What it means is that my bank 2 downstream sensor was reporting to the engine ECU that the bank 2 pre-catalytic converter was on its way out. And if the pre-cat finally fails, it will trigger on the CEL and will later set the car into Limp home mode. So, no matter how I erase the fault off the ECU, it would always come back and store in engine ECU.

But after replacing the spark plugs, I cleared off the fault from the ECU. Since that day till this morning, the error has not returned. I just plugged in the pp2000 and got "No fault stored in the ECU".

You never know what bad or failing spark plugs could be doing to the entire injection system and the engine.
    Last edited by Ikenna351; 12th October 2013 at 05:35 AM.

he's somewhat of a legend that Demannu fella ...

Hi guys,

I am also looking to change spark Plugs on my v6 3.0 SV 407. I have recently bought it and every now and then it seems to miss sparks. I have got it serviced with 5w40 Fully synthetic engine oil.

Could you please advise the correct spark plugs for it ?
    I didn't want to create a new thread considering the layout of both engines is similar.

NGK PLFR5A-11 is about 100+ for set of six from ebay(Uk seller)

Quote Originally Posted by codename47 View Post
    Hi guys,

I am also looking to change spark Plugs on my v6 3.0 SV 407. I have recently bought it and every now and then it seems to miss sparks. I have got it serviced with 5w40 Fully synthetic engine oil.

I didn't want to create a new thread considering the layout of both engines is similar.

The recommended spark plug for your ES9A engine Peugeot part number is 5960 GO. The Bosch part number engraved on the plug is FR 8SPP332.

Ikenna, Lion King.

Thanks heaps for that.

where do you source peugeot parts ? I went to supercheap to get sparkplugs for it and the guy over there told me that they have to order plugs for your car and will be around 300

Thanks heaps for that.

where do you source peugeot parts ? I went to supercheap to get sparkplugs for it and the guy over there told me that they have to order plugs for your car and will be around 300
    I was always amazed at the range of parts repco carried on the shelf suitable for my '84 renault.

Maybe give them a call.

Jo

Thanks heaps for that.

I bought the spark plugs 5960 G0 for here in Abuja, Nigeria.

Ikenna, Lion King.

Hi guys,

The PLFR5A-11 are the correct ones for your SV, they are the same as what I have in mine. From memory I bought mine in Sydney and paid about $17 each for them.
    codename47 likes this.

Thanks guys, much appreciated

I bought the Bosch 5960GO for 96.11 delivered from Uk.

thanks heaps again.

I had a problem before with rattling at cold start which has been fixed, the previous owner put some cheap oil and filter that was causing the issue. I changed the filter Ryco , and Fully synthetic 5w-40 oil, did old engine oil flush with Nulon engine flush. and it has been all good after that. (timing belt was changed 2 years ago)

Hope that helps

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information