Help please. 505 diff has leaked everywhere.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Help please. 505 diff has leaked everywhere.

Hello everyone. I'm looking for some advice regarding my 505 GTi sedan diff.

Yesterday morning when reversing out of the driveway, I heard a 'clunk' from the diff, and saw there was a pool of gear oil on the ground below where it had been parked. There was also a trail of oil following me, so it was running fairly freely. Probably lost around 500-750mL in total.

Advertisement

Car still drives. Only drove it around the block, carefully, and starts seeping oil again but more slowly.

Underneath the car, I felt around, and it doesn't feel like the oil has come from the side of the diff (where the half shafts come out) or the end (where the drive shaft goes in). It felt like all the fluid had come from the bottom of the diff casing. Maybe I've cracked the casing? Could have happened when I off-roaded it a few months back

I normally get my car done by Bill McNamee in Canberra, but am living in south Sydney (Sutherland Shire) area now.

Is there a decent mechanic who knows Peugeots down south still? Is Paul Vassallo still based in the area?

Or, if I can get an appropriate replacement diff, can this job be done by any mechanic?

All advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Geoff.
    -----------------------
    Previous cars: 405 series 2 Mi16, 505 GTi sedan, 405 petrol wagon, 505 GTi Executive, 406 STDT sedan; Xsara VTS, C5 V6 Exclusive

Okay. I've answered my own question. Yes, I've blown a hole in the diff housing!

Photos:
    Help please. 505 diff has leaked everywhere.-img_0446.jpg Help please. 505 diff has leaked everywhere.-img_0450.jpg

So, can I drive this a short distance (to a mechanic) without oil in the diff? Or is that a really bad idea?
    -----------------------
    Previous cars: 405 series 2 Mi16, 505 GTi sedan, 405 petrol wagon, 505 GTi Executive, 406 STDT sedan; Xsara VTS, C5 V6 Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

You could try thoroughly cleaning the area with petrol and then keying in a kneadable epoxy.I would be surprised if it doesnt seal the hole in the diff.

Tadpole

Geoff. The problem is almost certainly a broken planetary gear and a fragment caught on crownwheel knocked a hole in the housing. It will continue to work but there is always a chance a new hole will be formed. A rare occurrence, but I have seen it in all Peugeots RWD hypoid diffs and many of the FWD BE series transmissions. Peugeot do not seem to try very hard with planetary gears. Bill

I had similar symptoms, a clunk but without the hole in the diff casing. I drove a 500km round trip without further incident before more teeth went about 5kms from home and subsequent failure to proceed. This was in my 504 campervan as per my signature so all up weight was around 2.5 tonnes but even in a 505 sedan, I think you're on borrowed time.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Thanks for your help everyone. The 505 is now with P504 in Waitara, and I've got a 4.11:1 LSD on its way from Melbourne to be installed.

Couldn't get the filler plug off (couldn't find a tool that would do it), so I drove it without oil in the diff. Made it 50km accross Sydney without issue.
    -----------------------

Thread Information