• Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SLC206

Thread: Changing 308 2.0 HDi ol filter

Fellow Frogger!

Default Changing 308 2.0 HDi ol filter

I'm going to order from ebay a Mann Hummel oil filter for my 308 2.0 HDi

Advertisement

I noticed that it just comes as an element [paper? looking ribbed/concentena item]

Is it normal that just the element at is replaced ?

I ask as some other vehicles seem to have a complete replaceable metal cannister that presumably contains the element

When I do an Internet search sometimes is shows the cannister and element and other times just the element

On late model HDi's like yours (and most late model cars), it's just the element that is replaced.
    Although I'm sure they normally come with a replacement O-ring, so you might want to check that.

Yes, it is inside a black plastic housing on the front of the engine.

You'll need a 27mm socket to undo it. A spanner will not be enough and with the access available will probably cause damage.

It is worth checking but the new filter will come with a replacement o-ring.

Regards,

Simon.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

It's the smaller one to the right side and down a bit.
    The larger one on top and to the left is the fuel filter. (same deal but larger element.)

Fellow Frogger!

Hi. I usually remove the fabricated bracket adjacent to the fuel filter, and above the oil filter canister. It makes it much easier to access the oil filter, & I can use a 27mm socket with universal joint on a long socket extension. Much easier.

Note: Take care that you don't put a spanner throught the radiator core just in front of the cannister. That's why I use the socket.

Its is best to drain the oil after the engine has warmed up. The last time I did it I just used the full 5 Lt container; I didn't bother with the extra 0.25 Lt.

Yes, the replacement element comes with a new O-Ring, make sure that you lubricate it with engine oil when you fit it to the canister.

UFO

Gently loosen the cover rather than trying to reef it off like an apprentice and break the cover.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

On a side note, the oil filter will drain back to the sump when you remove the cap, so best to leave the sump plug out till you remove the cap. (or drain the sump after removing filter)

I use an oil fiter remover strap/belt around the main body as well as a cut down (in length as not ot gouge the radiator) 27mm ring spanner at the same time to share the strain, as when the o-ring swells with age they are twice as hard to remove as to put on. You will if not carefull shear off/or strip the 27mm plastic top if you just use it by itself.

Cheers George

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

They seize on. I've even greased the 'O'ring up with silicon grease, it's still seizes on. Grind any taper off the end of a 27mm socket. Notch the socket too if it doesn't sit flush (though it might be the fuel filter socket that's the one you should notch to allow it to sit flush).

There shitty looking bits of plastic, so I wouldn't be surprised if they broke, no matter how careful you are.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I use a humble, un-ground, un-modified 12-point socket (and it's 3/4 drive too!) on the 207 oil filter housing.

It's survived 10 oil changes now with not even a skerrick of damage to the nut on the top - and this includes 4 changes by the local dealer. Just a smear of engine oil on the new o-ring and it's done. It's quite clearly marked "25Nm" on the plastic housing and that's all it needs.

Rumours of the housing's imminent demise are greatly exaggerated.
    Whippet likes this.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

I have to agree. I use just a standard socket and extension and have had no problems, with both the oil and fuel filter.

Thread Information