505 1.8 electric fan conversion
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 505 1.8 electric fan conversion

hi

the carbon brushes i buy keep dying after 1 months tops, so i decided to convert to an electric fan.

after measuring carfully the engine compartment i found that 11" is the largest fan that can be fitted, because there's a clearance of only 2.5 cm between the radiator and the water pump shaft, and from several candidates this is the only one i could get me hand on:

Advertisement

Spal Cooling FAN 296 12V Pushing Cheap Delivery Worldwide VA26 AP70 LL 44A | eBay

do you think it will be sufficient?

it should be said that the car has an a/c condenser, and (because of that?) a larger radiator of about 50cm length, and the fan will not cover the right-most 18cm of the radiator, but i may be able to use a golf mk2 shroud.

thx

2pac,
    I can't for the life of me fathom how your Peugeot can be devouring the carbon fan brushes at the rate you mention?

The choice of electric fan is up to you. Don't worry about it not fully covering the radiator.

Fellow Frogger!

i think the heat from the cylinder head kills it, so either the carbon breaks in two or the soldering point melts, the bottom line is that after a month or so it engages for a second or two and then disengages and starts to rattle like crazy, as if it wants to engage but doesn't get enough power.

this fan is already on its way from poland, but i wonder if it will draw enough air.

2pac,
    The gap on the elect/magnetic clutch is too excessive.

Fellow Frogger!

nope, it's 0.3mm spot!

Fellow Frogger!

i found today that a mazda 626 electric fan fits amazingly in the limited room there, i'm speaking about the right side fan in the photo.

i'm not sure why it's there, because the left one comes on both for cooling and for a/c, so i don't know what its output and amperage drawing, but it's slightly bigger than the spal, with 7 wings and a shroud.

what do you reckon?

505 1.8 electric fan conversion-post-32569-0-41792700-1380721714_thumb.jpg

Thread Information