504 brake compensator and flare
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 504 brake compensator and flare

I've noticed a puddle or brake fluid near the driver rear wheel of my '74 504 GL (US version) and upon inspection have seen fluid dripping out the bottom of the brake compensator but not from the three brake lines going into the compensator. New compensator is costly but i removed one from a salvaged '79 504GL. Here's the issue. The '79 definitely has bubble flared/metric brake lines (ball on stick) and a sticker stating so under the hood. The line I've checked on my '74 (coming off the master cylinder) is definitely double flared but not bubble flared. Both my double flare line and the bubble flare line from the '79 screw firmly into a new master cylinder I recently bought (and so probably also the salvaged compensator) so both seem to be metric. So the question is will the double flared line seat correctly in the compensator and master cylinders that are made for bubble flare lines and/or is there a way to make them fit? Thanks for any help, I'm trying to avoid tearing the whole brake system apart until I have parts that will fit.

Advertisement
    Last edited by rpieper; 26th September 2013 at 01:33 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

OK, I think I've resolved this but just for others who may have this same problem. The earlier (maybe pre-'75) 504s have non-metric brake line that is double flared at the ends. The later models have metric line that is bubble flared at the ends (this change is described on a sticker under the hood near the master cylinder). The lines fit into calipers, master cylinders, and brake compensators that are specific for the lines- double flare lines wont seat correctly in bubble flare fittings and vice versa. Short of changing every brake component to bubble fittings, or finding some sort of double-bubble adaptor, I'm going to have to find a double flare brake compensator to resolve my problem. Boy, nothing is easy.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi, you'll need to work out which one suits (easiest way is to look at whether the bolt holes are offset or straight across) but this guy in Greece has both models of compensator valves at sensible prices. I've bought from him with no issues.

Brake Distributor Peugeot 504 Berline Coupe Cabriolet | eBay

Brake Distributor Peugeot 504 Berline Coupe Cabriolet Later Make | eBay

I think the first one is the double flare model.

Cheers

Jim

Fellow Frogger!

Wow, awesome, I had certainly looked on ebay but under brake compensator, not brake adjuster. The straight hole version looks just like what I need and I agree, the early model designation suggests that the item in the first listing should fit my double flared brake lines. Thanks very much for pointing this out, this will save me a lot of aggravation!

Thread Information