2.0 HDI - Oil in the intake manifold
  • Register
  • Help

Icon1 2.0 HDI - Oil in the intake manifold

Hi,

We use a DW10BTED4 engine on a dyno setup at the university. We can see some oil dripping from the air intake manifold, near the butterfly valve. I can even see some oil sprayed near the intake manifold. I suspect if this oil is coming from the turbo (VGT). Have anyone experienced this in a DW10BTED4? Is such oil leak common to these engines? What could be the reason for it? Can it be a bad oil seal in the turbo? How to fix this?

Advertisement

Thanks

1000+ Posts

Don't forget the crankcase ventilation as another oil vapour source.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Don't forget the crankcase ventilation as another oil vapour source.
    On a related note, if there is a problem with the PCV system an there is pressure building up in the crankcase, the oil may not properly drain from the turbo. Tuis may cause the turbo seals to leak into both the exhaust side and/or the inlet side.

Take the inlet hose off the turbo and see if the oil is coming from up stream of the turbo. (I'm assuming that the crankcase breather is still plumbed into the intake track before the turbo as with older DW10 engines)
    Check the turbine for play while you have it off.

It's normal for the intake manifold to be slick with oil because some oil always makes it past the PCV, but if you think there is excessive oil entering the intake, you will have to change the PCV.

Quote Originally Posted by gromzx View Post
    Take the inlet hose off the turbo and see if the oil is coming from up stream of the turbo. (I'm assuming that the crankcase breather is still plumbed into the intake track before the turbo as with older DW10 engines)
    Check the turbine for play while you have it off.

It's normal for the intake manifold to be slick with oil because some oil always makes it past the PCV, but if you think there is excessive oil entering the intake, you will have to change the PCV.
    Where can I locate the PCV valve on engine? Is there anything that can be done permanently to stop such oil leaks?

1000+ Posts

I haven't got a DW10BTED4, only Shane's photo from yonks back, so pending a better reply from somebody with one--

Diesels can run, even disastrously, on their own oil mist, so the crankcase top section will discharge into an oil separator, often a cyclone, which will then have a hose for the clean gas to connect to the inlet hose to the turbo. In the dirty old days the crankcase was allowed to fume into the atmosphere.

In Shane's pic, the crankcase outlet looks to be in the front centre.
    Last edited by seasink; 24th September 2013 at 08:17 PM.

Attached are some pictures of the engine where oil spill is found. Can we confirm that it is from the PCV valve?

I read from somewhere that an oil catcher can be installed to avoid oil leaking to intake How can this be done? Can someone post pictures of any completed and running installations?

Is venting or blanking off the PCV valve hose a good idea to stop oil leak to intake?
    Last edited by geothokar; 20th November 2014 at 04:11 PM.

Thread Information