Plastidippin' my Cyclones (56k warning)
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Plastidippin' my Cyclones (56k warning)

I've been meaning to give this stuff a go ever since I heard about it, mainly to mask the scuffs that a previous owner put onto my wheels-

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that parallel parking was not one of their strong points Thankfully the others aren't quite as bad as that one!

Advertisement

For colours I was looking at either the gunmetal grey or black. I was leaning more towards the grey, but then thought it might just look like I have dirty Cyclones so ended up getting black. Just one can at this stage to test how it looks, that way if I don't like it all I've wasted is $25 and a couple of hours. Pics I took of the final result-

Light still catches the scuffs but they're not as pronounced as before and the discolouration is hidden. I think it turned out well so I'm gonna get more and do the others, but I was thinking perhaps white would be good. A pain to keep clean for sure but the white would look great against the black bodywork I reckon. Someone in the UK has done similar and it looks quite striking!

Thoughts? Experiences?
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Looks good.

hmmmm making me consider keeping my GTI180 wheels and doing this...
    PM Me for all New Genuine Spare Parts & Accessories.
    Current:
    2007 Peugeot 207 GTi
    ...Let the mods begin...

Previous:
    2000 Peugeot 206 GTi - SOLD
    1995 Peugeot 306 S16 - SOLD

black car, white wheels !! no guesses you are happy cleaning your car.

i think the black / black looks good, usually black wheels IMO are a bit start against colours but the more matte finish against the gloss looks great.
    1990 205gti 8v, sv1000, zx6, sv650, zxr750, rgv250, austin 1800, fiat 124ac, fiat x1/9, 76 rd350, 124bc, lancia beta, yz125G, yz80h, yz50g, gtmx80c

I recently acquired a set of 505 alloys with a lot of gutter rash and assorted scuff marks. Rubbed the gutter rash with some medium grit sandpaper, then went over them again and the scuff marks with some fine grit. Then had them powder coated - not at all expensive. They now look like new.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    black car, white wheels !! no guesses you are happy cleaning your car.
    I'm a glutton for punishment, I know! However I think that...

Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    i think the black / black looks good, usually black wheels IMO are a bit start against colours but the more matte finish against the gloss looks great.
    ...you might be right here. Mentioned it to my brother and he reckoned white would be too extreme for a car that is otherwise unmodified, as typically you see white wheels on cars in motorsport. Gonna go grab some more of the black today I think and see if I can do another wheel, possibly more if I can get some jackstands.
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Fellow Frogger!

Front wheels done, again 3 coats + one on the inner rim behind the spokes. Just waiting for the inner spraying to cure before I put them back on.

Close up of the finish-

YMMV with different cars but 4 cans is going to be overkill for my wheels. I started a new can for the two front wheels and it ran out just as I was doing the spray on the inner rim at the end on the 2nd wheel. I used the rest of the original can to finish that bit and it still has some life left. That leaves me with say 2 cans for the final wheel. Easily could've gotten away with just buying three, leaving roughly half a can spare at the end.
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Now do a track day and see if it stays that way. I have heard that it sometimes melts during them and really spirited diving.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityJayOne View Post
    Front wheels done, again 3 coats + one on the inner rim behind the spokes. Just waiting for the inner spraying to cure before I put them back on.

YMMV with different cars but 4 cans is going to be overkill for my wheels. I started a new can for the two front wheels and it ran out just as I was doing the spray on the inner rim at the end on the 2nd wheel. I used the rest of the original can to finish that bit and it still has some life left. That leaves me with say 2 cans for the final wheel. Easily could've gotten away with just buying three, leaving roughly half a can spare at the end.
    Looks great. I have done the same to various sets of track day wheels. Never had any problems with the stuff melting, only the occasional chip. Must easier to repair the surface than spray paint, though.
    Current: 1989 Peugeot 205 GTi [Mi 16]
    Previous: 1989 Peugeot 205 GTi [stock]

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Valentia View Post
    Now do a track day and see if it stays that way. I have heard that it sometimes melts during them and really spirited diving.
    Melting from the brakes I take it? It's supposed to be able to take extreme temperatures...either way I don't have any track days planned. Some day perhaps!

Quote Originally Posted by clayts View Post
    Looks great. I have done the same to various sets of track day wheels. Never had any problems with the stuff melting, only the occasional chip. Must easier to repair the surface than spray paint, though.
    That's my thinking too. Paint wouldn't cover up the scuffs as well either as the layer would be thinner. I'll probably hold onto the 4th can for touch ups as I doubt Autobahn will accept a return on paints.
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

They look ok - but why would you not remove the scuffs before painting?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Default What parking scrapes ???

What is the fuss, I never scrape my rims ever

Fellow Frogger!

Most of it is not just surface marks and has shaved a few mm off the surface of the wheel. There's one or two scratches that are even deeper still, plus the very edge of the rim which is completely stuffed to be honest (where it meets the rubber). It'd probably cost more to professionally restore that one wheel than it's cost me to Plastidip all 4 of em. Perfectly happy to stick with the cheaper option.
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Fellow Frogger!

Final result-

A basic level of protection and a colour change! I can think of worse ways to spend $90. A PSA (the other kind) for anyone thinking of trying this, the advertised usage of a can per wheel probably only applies to fuly sik 21" elaborate DUB-style rims. I barely used 2 cans doing these.
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Trinity Jay One. Just wondering how your rims are holding up 6 months later? I'm thinking about doing the same thing (inspired by your rims). Would you recommend filling the scuffs before coating? And is it better to put tyres on before applying Plastidip? Thanks, Bernie.

Fellow Frogger!

Hey mate, sorry for delayed reply, I've been busy the past couple of weeks.

The driver's front wheel them has a small nick just on the inside of the hole where one of the wheelnuts goes in, the coat is a bit thinner there and I obviously wasn't careful enough with one of the bolts. You can see the metal through the hole but I probably won't bother patching it up unless it gets worse. One of the rear wheels has a chip on the face of the spoke where a stone or something has obviously hit it, but it's not down to the metal. One less chip on the rims than I would've had otherwise! Apart from that they're still tops. No colour fade to speak of and no peeling anywhere.

EDIT: Couple of recent pics for ya-

2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Fellow Frogger!

Looking good mate! I've filled and sanded the gutter rash on my Cyclones and am taking them in to get rubber tomorrow. Then I'll Plasti Dip them black I'm also tempted to try the glossifier and maybe doing the lion in red to match my XSi badges...

Fellow Frogger!

Forgot to answer all your questions. I didn't fill the scuffs, it was more the discolouration that irked me (refer to first pic in this thread) and I was happy enough to just have it covered. The finish is thicker than paint so it fills holes up itself with sufficient coats. I painted mine with tires fitted, but wheels off the car. I didn't bother masking the tires and the overspray is easily removed by hand afterwards. I'm not sure how it's going to hold up when I inevitably have to put new tires on, but I wouldn't be surprised if whatever tools are used stuffs up the coating at the edge of the rim.

Painting just the lion would be difficult...if you really want to, I would suggest painting it red first, then masking the top and doing the rest of the wheel. That way you wouldn't have to worry about the red overspray on the spokes as the black would just go over it. I don't know how well it would hold up without a solid coating all over the front of the wheel but if you try it I'd love to see how it turns out.

The glossifier I would probably give a miss. Because it's a semi-matte finish it hides dirt and brakedust a lot better than stock Cyclones, and if you use the glossifier you'll probably find they don't stay glossy for very long after each wash! Up to you of course.
    Last edited by TrinityJayOne; 14th March 2014 at 08:23 AM.
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the extra info! I get the rims back tomorrow morning so I'll be spraying Saturday/Sunday.

I was planning on doing the rims in black then using a scalpel to cut the lion out. Then paint red by hand (not Plastidip) and then a couple of coats of glossifier. But I will see how they turn out after I do the black then decide.

Thread Information