Gutten da 505..
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Gutten da 505..

Gutten da 505..

Afternoon everyone..

Im sort of stuck in a bother trying to remove the center console in order to change the carpet..

Advertisement

just how to i get teh hand brake through.. It would'nt be a problme but i cant get a good enough grip on the screwdriver to un-do the rear bolts of the front seets.. my hands and nuckles are paying in skin..

Any tricks and wise words of wisdom??

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Have you pulled the rubber outer off the handbrake lever, Bowie? Its simply a snug "grip fit".

Once you have done this its simply a matter of angles.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

i had no idea it came off whistle ...

that should solve much problems...

thanks mate..

Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40

f**ken snug fit isnt wrong

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    bowie:
    f**ken snug fit isnt wrong
    yeah
    rod forgot to say watch how hard you pull it off and where your hands end up somewhere in the dash
    this job is normally best done after the car has sat in the sun for a while as they tend to come off just that little bit easier
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

natural power of teh sun being put to good use..

in trying to remove the front seets tho.. with those stupid daimond head bolts.. i have succeccfully rounded of every pointy end just about destroyed the head uterly and completly ..

2 bolts stand in my way from putting lovly new fresh carpet in my 05.. and now... it looks like i will surrender and go about putting everythig back in .. frown

Its like those finger stalls that you used to get at the Show or a magic shop when I was a kid. You have to pull it up from the BOTTOM first, then try and budge the top with a bit of a twist. Keep on repeating until it comes off.

Pulling from the bottom makes it shorter, and therfore wider, which makes it easier to move. Its usually much easier the second time! eek!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

back to getting the seats out.. had luck with a big fat flat head screwdriver on the rear outer bolts.. but the ones in the middle of the car.. the rear of the two bolts.. cant move them for teh live of me..

Is there a special tool i should be using to make this a hell of a lot easier.. They are in Metrix measurmenst too arnt they? Ive been trying to use good ol Alen key's.. but they keep on skiping.. like its a fraction of a mm to small.. cry

you need what's called Torx bits. Down at Super Cheap (otherwise known as 'cheap and nasty') they have a little set with a bent handle and about four heads, costs $4 or so. That does the job, but be careful.

From memory a couple of those seat bolts can be beasts to get at. Make sure that you get a torx driver (or bit set) that lets you get right in where you need to. Sometimes sticking a short Torx bit in a small ratchet handled socket is the best way to go here. Don't keep on trying with the Allan key. You may destroy the head to a point where you can't get the Torx bit to work either. Then its drill time.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Torx bits
    Cheers guys.. yeah im going backwards as it is now..

thanks for that wink

Once you've removed the torx screws, replace them with high tensile allen headed screws. It's much easier to fit an allen key in under the front of the seats that a torx tool, and they're less prone to chewing out aswell.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

also a good idea.. i shall ..

And you can readily buy a set of Allen keys with a ball head on the long end... for fitting into the Allen headed bolts from a slight angle.

A must... but the tool I described will do the job, I know because I've done it.

Ray Bell:
    And you can readily buy a set of Allen keys with a ball head on the long end... for fitting into the Allen headed bolts from a slight angle.

A must... but the tool I described will do the job, I know because I've done it.
    Another tip on this. The front bolts can be reached with an extension on a socket handle, with a torx bit on the end, by pushing the plastic wrap-around section of the seat away from the cloth of the seat base. Push the torx bit and extension shaft down between the plastic and the seat and you can then get it straight into the bolt head. If you try and get it by going "around" the plastic you will need a universal-joint extension as Ray suggests. Of course, having one of those is a good thing anyway.

Good luck! New carpet is just terrific. Sets off the whole car interior.

Regards,
    John Lane.
    Current: 406 Coupe, 504 Sedan

Previous: 306XSi, 205GTi, 206Gti, 505 V6, 505 Wagon, 504 Sedan, 504 Wagon, 306Gti6, 306XT, 205Si, Citroen XM, Citroen Xantia

well nearly there... All teh seets are out now.. my fingers and thumbs are only barly cut and worn.. lol

Now i have come to the seat belt(s) and where they be screwed / bolted on to the car..

How teh hell do they come off.. ??

Are they simple a pull of using much manly force .. they couldnt be could they.. being seat belt and all.. "shrugs"

And before i destroy it any more.. those door trims running along the bottom edge of teh car.. where the wires and what not take refuge on the left hand side... is tehre a easyier way to take them of.. I have broken 2 clips so far just be ripping them up ..

lol Any other provenly effective methods to reduce the casualities.. wink

I had no trouble at all removing those from the car I wrecked in Newcastle last year, so there must be a way.

how'd you detach the seet belt restraints from the base??

There are bolts... always there are bolts.

The larger ones have very shallow heads, usually, because they're hidden behind the plastic covers that flick or bend off. Take care with the shallow bolt heads to make sure you don't round them off too much.

bowie:
    Now i have come to the seat belt(s) and where they be screwed / bolted on to the car..

How teh hell do they come off.. ??

And before i destroy it any more.. those door trims running along the bottom edge of teh car.. where the wires and what not take refuge on the left hand side... is tehre a easyier way to take them of.. I have broken 2 clips so far just be ripping them up ..
    Yep, the seat-belt anchors are bolts taking approx. 22mm socket (I can't recall exactly). They'll come out super-easy once you get a socket onto them.

The sill trims are held on by spring steel clips which are pressed onto the steel lip of the bodywork - the same lip which the door-rubber seal is pressed onto. The plastic trims are connected to the clips by barbs. If you merely force them upwards by lifting the plastic the barbs will not release and you will break something. You need to get a screwdriver or similar item under the edge of the clips where they are pressed down over the body work lip.

Remove the door seal rubber first, carefully pulling it out from under the plastic trims. Then you will see the clips holding down the plastic trims and you can lever them up, leaving the plastic trims attached to the steel clips. It isn't hard if you take a good look at it and work out how everything has been fitted together. If not, it's hard. I know from experience, and yes, I've broken a few prior to working out how they were put together.

Oh, and watch your paintwork while doing this - use a cloth wrapped around your screwdriver to prevent scrathes.

This is one area where 504s are a far nicer proposition.

Regards,
    John Lane.
    Current: 406 Coupe, 504 Sedan

Previous: 306XSi, 205GTi, 206Gti, 505 V6, 505 Wagon, 504 Sedan, 504 Wagon, 306Gti6, 306XT, 205Si, Citroen XM, Citroen Xantia

also... lol

that bar connecting the rear of the two front seets seemingly accross teh drivtrain has fallen of under neath.. and to be honest.. i realy cant be bothered climbing under there trying to get it screwed back up..

Im not lowering the structural integrity of my car to much by leaving it of indefently em i? lol

Nahh... I think you'll find that's only there to satisfy ADRs.

aquinian:
    The plastic trims are connected to the clips by barbs. If you merely force them upwards by lifting the plastic the barbs will not release and you will break something. You need to get a screwdriver or similar item under the edge of the clips where they are pressed down over the body work lip.
    Ahhhhh..... So there is a "proper" way of removing these! mallet

Mine are cracked and broken from pulling them straight off. eek! Bashing them too hard with a rubber mallet to get them back on doesn't really help either...

Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Thread Information