the fog lights
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: the fog lights

Tadpole

the fog lights

just out of curiosity does any1 ou ther have any idea abou the wireing set up for the fog lights in a '94 306?
    they just stopped working.
    not happy.
    thanks
    todd

Advertisement
    PLAAAAY

ME GIRLS PUG

I've moved this post from 'Common Faults' you won't get a reply in there wink it's a locked topic area intended for advice on fixes to common problems.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thank you GB, i saw that earlier, and didn't see how anyone could reply, obviously we can't.
    But to answer his problem,...
    **Check the fuses as these spot lights run through a fuse and a relay. the 306 fuse box for MOST is under the steering colum, incase you wern't sure.
    Next play with the Fog light button whilst the park/headlights are on. Does only one spotlight come on. Or both are out? Does a relay ( those coloured squares,also near the fuse box), click at all. If not the relay could be gone.
    *Working on the dash were the button is, remove the lower trim ofplastic that surrounds the buttons, gently with a flat head screwdriver, gently remove the light Switch, check and make sure all the wires are in properly.
    *If all seems good check, the wires at the actual spot lights themselves, i know that depending on how much you use the spots they do burn the wires out.
    good luck.

!!!!*** if in doubt see a electrical mechanic ***!!!!

PS, one of mine cracked so i put in aftermarket ones,
    that suited the looks of my pug.
    ... ptui!

Leave them not working, fog lights on for no reason other then ego boosting is really annoying.

And illegal... nice if you want to meet policemen though.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Ray Bell:
    And illegal... nice if you want to meet policemen though.
    true
    but i have been running mine on my cars for 7 years and never once have i been pulled over for having them on
    i believe they are more of a safetly feature rather than an ego trip
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

A guy on Atlas posted that he was booked for this just a month or two ago...

So there are police out there who will nail you for it.

If you want visibility, use low beam...

XTC
    Ray Bell:
    A guy on Atlas posted that he was booked for this just a month or two ago... So there are police out there who will nail you for it. If you want visibility, use low beam...
    Yes they can book you (I know people who have been), but you'd have to be unlucky. I don't use them around town, but last weekend doing about 1/2 my 1500kms I did in the dark country side, the fog lights are really good, they give you more sideways spillage of light.

- XCT206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

I say go for it in the country - when you're not dazzling anyone and there's next to no ambient light, get as much light as you can.

But on lit public roads, really you don't need foglights.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I find that lighting up the area immediately in front of you too much can have a detrimental effect on long range visibility. I can see far more clearly into the distance when they are off.

They are handy for parking though.

That's a sensible approach XCT206, but I WISH people who use them all the time would make sure the bloody things were properly adjusted, and that the cops would be more aggressive in policing their use in fogless areas. (though I think its only rear ones that are really illegal when its not foggy or pelting down rain)

It seems staggering to me that some manufacturers get away with the things that are wired up as front "fog lights" these days. The current "sports" utes from Holden are probably the worst, but Subaru, BMW and a few othes come pretty close. Essentially its like meeting someone with their headlights on low beam but a pair of spotlights turned on. Far from being a "safety" feature its highly dangerous if you meet one while you are driving along a kangaroo infested road like mine after dark. You stay dazzled for much longer than you would if the other vehicle only had their headlights on. Even in daylight they can add up to significant increases in stress for oncoming drivers

Me, given the chance I'd ban the big ones altogether, and start fining people for inappropriate use and misalignment of the rest!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

While we are on the topic of lighting, which Pug has the best headlights? To my mind the 505, 406 and 306's don't come even close to the 504 (dual light models) in terms of high beam headlight quality.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

With the right globes, of course... or sealed beams as the case may be.

The 404 lights aren't all that bad, 504s are the cheapest to put aftermarket stuff in.

1000+ Posts
    Our 504 has far better headlights than the 306. Ours has clear high beam bulbs which are *exceptionally* bright. The N5 306 is MUCH better in this department than the N3 306. The crystal effect headlights certainly are very good.

Without wanting to cause a stir on the topic, I have to admit our AU Falcon head lights are by far the best I have driven with (yes, there may be better I admit that), and the high beams are phenomenal for a standard high beam in a single enclosed unit. I guess Australian designed for Australian conditions?

Derek.

Ray Bell:
    With the right globes, of course... or sealed beams as the case may be.

The 404 lights aren't all that bad, 504s are the cheapest to put aftermarket stuff in.
    Yes, I was thinking of the seperate semi sealed units with QI bulbs, Ray.

The 403 and 404 Marshall and Cibie reflectors were very good indeed for their time (at least compared to just about any other single refelector units) , with QI bulbs fitted, but didn't have quite the distance penetration capabilities of the 504. The only thing I can think of that beat it was my 74 DS, for long range lights. Its regular high beam and low beam weren't as good though.

The 505 has a better spread, but less penetration too. Ended up fitting some Hella driving lights to mine when I was doing a lot of night time country driving.

I was surprised at the very mediocre high beam performance of the "new generation" clear lense headlights on the Nissan Patrol last week. You really notice these things on the stretch from Hughenden to Charters Towers at night with kangas and cattle all around you.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

You don't have to tell me about those long stretches and kangaroos...

My 504 has been suffering very second rate lights for a while, just getting them back into shape now.

DeKa:
    Without wanting to cause a stir on the topic, I have to admit our AU Falcon head lights are by far the best I have driven with (yes, there may be better I admit that), and the high beams are phenomenal for a standard high beam in a single enclosed unit. I guess Australian designed for Australian conditions?

Derek.
    Yes, the current Commodore ones are pretty good too. I guess its a start. Now, if only they'd fix up the seats and the suspension and the interior trim, and the windscreen reflections and the..........

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

1000+ Posts
    I know I know.. but a ute's a ute :p Unfortunately you can't get/effectively convert/build a Citroen/Peugeot ute anymore.

I'd still rather drive a Berlingo ute than a Falcon ute
    Our friendly engineer who looked into the modification for us was not willing to do it as too much of the body would be removed. Fair enough I guess.

Derek.

What you need is a good 404 ute , Deka!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

1000+ Posts
    I know!

We were open to suggestions in this thread of nearly 2 years ago (my my have I been an addict of this forum for that long?)

<a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000063" target="_blank">http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000063</a>

Can you lease a new 404 ute Rod? wink

Sorry for hijacking the fog lights thread, that'll do for now!
    Derek.

DeKa:

Can you lease a new 404 ute Rod? wink

Sorry for hijacking the fog lights thread, that'll do for now!
    Derek.
    Maybe we could take over the next thread too and go for a brasillian 506! - see <a href="http://www.grupowalk.com.br/peugeot.htm" target="_blank">http://www.grupowalk.com.br/peugeot.htm</a>

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

1000+ Posts
    Now THAT would suit us wink
    As long as it could get here for less than $35 000 (the cost of the Falcon)

Any ideas on the engine in them? Probably XN of some sort. Food for thought wink

How about a PRV V6? Can't see why not?

Of course you could instead probably have a fleet of seven 404 utes for your $35K, if there are that many left in Oz!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Fellow Frogger!
    Might be illegal to have fog lights on when there is no fog and bloody annoying it is too, but I have regularly seen our local highway patrol with them on for no apparent reason, but then nobodys perfect are they ??

Thread Information