Help! - 306 Gti6
  • Register
  • Help
    sjl

Help! - 306 Gti6

Ok, I bought my 6 just about a month or so ago and now the problems have started rolling in.

1. The engine clicks like mad. Looked around the engine bay and it doesn't seem to me like it is the timimg belt.

2. Smoke comes out the exhaust if I give it a good punch.

3. The gearbox is screwed. In neutral and every gear I have about 3 inches of play.

Can any one help? I bought it from a dealer and it is still under warranty. Does this sound like something I could claim on warranty? And if not, how much am I looking to fork out to get it running sweetly again?

Advertisement

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Simo
    "How do you like them apples?"
    306 Gti6

Well.

1. I have no idea about

2. If its black smoke when your really giving it some I wouldn't worry. I've seen this a lot on other GTi6's.

3. It DEFINATELY has a problem !!!!

I'd take it back to the dealer and demand it all be fixed. They are definate warranty issues. You shouldn't be handing over a 2_cents .

Darren

1. Are you using Premium Unleaded.
    (I use BP Ultimate or Optimax only !)
    Use an injector cleaner every now and again.

2. Check your Air filter. Is it clogged? when was it replaced last time?
    Spark plugs. As above.

My GTi does the same under hard acceleration. The GTi ECU opens those high flowing injectors a lot more than other 306's.

3. Mine most definately does not have lot of play. It may be a pain to engage a 2nd on very cold mornings but once it warms up its pretty sweet and tight box. Has the box had an oil change. Did they use a proper high grade oil?

If you want to, feel free to call me on 0411 349 146 so you get an idea what my 306 feels like and if what you are experiencing is normal.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

rek
    sjl:
    Ok, I bought my 6 just about a month or so ago and now the problems have started rolling in.

1. The engine clicks like mad. Looked around the engine bay and it doesn't seem to me like it is the timimg belt.
    Mine did the exact same thing at about 60,000km. This is timing belt, do not pass go, your mechanic collects $200 (and more)

The other stuff sounds like it should be a warranty issue.
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

I'd take it back under warranty for sure.

re: blowing out smoke, the GTi6 does run very rich under acceleration, nine times out of ten it's nothing to be concerned about. However, we were blowing smoke out of the GTi6 under medium acceleration and it's in getting looked at the moment and a problem has been found. I'll know more tomorrow on this.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

sjl
    Thanks for all the help guys. Still don't know what the rattling is but the mechanics think it is the timing belt but they won't know for sure until they open her up. Probably due for it, I've just passed 80Ks.

The smoke is nothing to worry about.

The gearbox however had dropped the gear selector which is basically a little ball that connects two rods of the gear box. That completely dropped off and when they took that plate thing off that sits under the engine, the ball fell to the ground. Nothing really major, but I won't be paying for it! deal
    306 Gti6

Found the smoke for the GTi6 was an oil leak near the air intake, so we were sucking oil into the engine and blowing it out the back. So that's all cleaned up now and there's a new clamp on the air intake. It's more powerful than ever now.

Also had a CV fail on us, which was messy. The clutch slipping we had detected ended up being a dodgy clutch cable, if we hadn't jumped on it right away we would've ruined the clutch, so lucky.

Fairly major service in the end, the ancillary belt needed changing and one of the rear calipers had locked up and wore down a pad. Also had new tranmission fluid put it.

SJL, get your timing belt done ASAP, a lot of 306 owners prefer to change that timing belt before 80000, running it after is flirting with danger, IMO.

<small>[ 10 July 2003, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: GTI124 ]</small>
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

sjl
    Thanks mate.

Found out overall to fix the problems would set me back about $750 but the dealer I bought it off was really kind about it and told me to send him the check. I'll pay for the timing belt though, as I'm getting the water pump and tensioners replaced.

Gearbox turns out to cost about $45 for the part. Not too bad considering when I first felt it I thought the box was about to fall to the ground.
    306 Gti6

Thread Information