Biodiesel
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Biodiesel

Default Biodiesel

I filled up with biodiesel for the first time yesterday. So far the only noticeable difference is the "hot vegetable oil" smell from the exhaust.

The Biodiesel Association website www.biodiesel.org.au warns that "in general, biodiesel will soften and degrade certain types of elastomers and natural rubber compounds over time" and advises users to replace rubber components in the fuel system with compatible types.

Advertisement

Is anyone here running an older Pug on biodiesel? Have there been any problems with the fuel system? I like the idea of running on a non-fossil fuel, but if it is going to cause problems I might go back to the stinky stuff.
    Stephen
    '03 P406 HDI
    '16 Renault Master

Quote Originally Posted by sfrawley
    I filled up with biodiesel for the first time yesterday. So far the only noticeable difference is the "hot vegetable oil" smell from the exhaust.

The Biodiesel Association website www.biodiesel.org.au warns that "in general, biodiesel will soften and degrade certain types of elastomers and natural rubber compounds over time" and advises users to replace rubber components in the fuel system with compatible types.

Is anyone here running an older Pug on biodiesel? Have there been any problems with the fuel system? I like the idea of running on a non-fossil fuel, but if it is going to cause problems I might go back to the stinky stuff.

There are a couple of guys in qld running it. Try the peugeot car clubs they seem to be involved in it.

Cheers nick

If you do a search of the members of Aussiefrogs, you'll find there's a member who calls himself "Bio-diesel" who used to post a fair bit on this topic and was associated with the group using and developing it.
    Send him a PM or e-mail & you should get a response if his details are up to date.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I know my cousiin has an few old golf's and a old merc, and i havnt heard him have any trouble, we makes the stuff too, kinda weird..
    smelling like a fish and chip shop driving down the road, could drum up some bussiness for some shops...

cheers
    www.mad-biker.com

cruiserman is another who uses it... he's probably running it in his 405 SRDT, he's been running it for years in his Landcruiser.

1000+ Posts

Stephen, there are claims that unleaded seals etc. are more robust than older ones designed for leaded as the newer petrol is harsher. You might find that you can just drive the car and just check things occasionally, and if you get a obvious prob just put brand new unleaded seals etc. in.

I put 20k on my 82 505 SRBT with no problems due to line or pump seal failure.
    I use B100 in it, my 405 SRBT and my 92 intercooled Turbo Biodiesel Cruiser. With the advent of the Low sulpher diesel LSD that we now have seal problems arose with it within weeks of its introduction so Bio is not going to give you anymore grief. Bio is a mandatory lubricity additive in France so the seals and lines are probably viton anyway, certainly for post 95 vehicles.

One suggestion is to fit a cheappo inline filter before your main fuel filter as the bio will strip the system of all the algae and varnish and other [email protected] that the dino diesel has left there, and rapidly clog your filter. A few $2 petrol filters will pick up the muck after 3-4 tankfuls you will be right.

Did you buy the Bio or make it yourself?

Tell me you didnt pay to view the Biodiesel of Aust site, what a rip off. Try Biodiesel information go to the biofuel section, it gives heaps of information, recipies equipment etc and it is free!!!!!!!!!!
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Cruiserman,

My 81 504 would have a similar fuel system to your 82 505, so it's comforting that you had no problems. How common are seal problems with the low sulphur diesel? I might try the cheap fuel filters, although I would have though that the glass bowl on the CAV would show the crap building up. Biodiesel is available from pumps at a couple of SAFF (SA Farmers Federation) fuel outlets in Adelaide. What "Biodiesel of Aust site" do you mean? The one I quoted didn't charge.
    Stephen
    '03 P406 HDI
    '16 Renault Master

Cruiserman,

What "Biodiesel of Aust site" do you mean? The one I quoted didn't charge.
    Short hand typing Biodiesel association of Australia. If you want to delve far into their site you need to pay to be a member of the assn.

The cheapie filter is a precaution against main filter premature replacement. It is entirely up to you.

Seal failure, Late January 2003 after the introduction Cooma Diesel told me that they had recieved 15 calls by 10 in the morning re leaking pumps.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Tadpole

Default Bio in the 405

Hi cruiserman. I've been following all the Biodiesel stuff and seem you're the man to ask - there's a 1996 405 srdt wagon for sale in Gelelong that I'm eyeing. Firstly, were these equipped with "viton" seals/hoses and therefore Bio can be used straight away? If not, what'd need doing? Are these cars good on mileage/ any major issues? What are reasonable asking prices?

Just in case cruiserman has gone bush-bashing this weekend...

I think if you look you'll find another thread, quite a long one, about biodiesel... and maybe yet another about biodiesel in SRDTs. I'm sure he says in those that you can use biodiesel in all of them without change.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat-with-one-t
    Hi cruiserman. I've been following all the Biodiesel stuff and seem you're the man to ask - there's a 1996 405 srdt wagon for sale in Gelelong that I'm eyeing. Firstly, were these equipped with "viton" seals/hoses and therefore Bio can be used straight away? If not, what'd need doing? Are these cars good on mileage/ any major issues? What are reasonable asking prices?
    96 should be viton, however the biodiesel swells the seals. They still seem to work fine but if you open the pump the old seals will grow such that they wont go back in. I have had no pump leaks on any diesel running on Bio. The LSD and soon ULSD shrinks the seals and makes them go brittle so they dont work anymore.

Carry a spare filter as the bio will clean the varnish and assorted [email protected] that dino diesel will leave in your tank and sooner or later it will deposit it in the filter causing the old cough splutter, where did the power go feeling. That is all good as the filter has collected all the junk, just change it and drive on knowing that your fuel system is that much cleaner.

The cars are very good on mileage with no major problems (check the heater matrix)

prices vary from around 9k up to 15k for sedans dont know much about wagons.

BTW Ray I was out teaching responsible use of 4wd, how use the fire trails not bush bash, and how to minimise impact due to careful sensible approach to off road driving.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

I should have known you'd be being responsible...

The whole class survived?

Thread Information