P505 Gearbox
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: P505 Gearbox

Fellow Frogger!

P505 Gearbox

I have just joined this forum today, so here is my first topic.

About 12 months ago I had the gearbox on my wife's 84'505 STI Executive (manual)partially overhauled. The catalyst for the work was the need to replace the clutch (after some 350,000 km)The problem with the gearbox was a pronounced bearing whine with the car stopped in neutral, and the clutch out. The obvious diagnosis was the input shaft bearing(s).

As a precaution, I had all 5 bearings associated with the rotation of the input shaft (in neutral) replaced. The other bearings were assessed as being OK. I also had the selector housing modified to include a gitz type seal, to supplement the 'O'ring on the selector shaft. That worked well, but not so the repairs to the whirring bearings, which remain as noisy as ever.

Advertisement

In hindsight, I should have spent the additional dollars to have every bearing replaced, but I am not convinced this would have solved the problem. Any suggestions?

Fellow Frogger!
    [quote]Originally posted by Kim Slattery:
    <strong>I have just joined this forum today, so here is my first topic.

About 12 months ago I had the gearbox on my wife's 84'505 STI Executive (manual)partially overhauled. The catalyst for the work was the need to replace the clutch (after some 350,000 km)The problem with the gearbox was a pronounced bearing whine with the car stopped in neutral, and the clutch out. The obvious diagnosis was the input shaft bearing(s).

As a precaution, I had all 5 bearings associated with the rotation of the input shaft (in neutral) replaced. The other bearings were assessed as being OK. I also had the selector housing modified to include a gitz type seal, to supplement the 'O'ring on the selector shaft. That worked well, but not so the repairs to the whirring bearings, which remain as noisy as ever.

In hindsight, I should have spent the additional dollars to have every bearing replaced, but I am not convinced this would have solved the problem. Any suggestions?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Kim - my question would be - did you replace the needle roller bearings in the gearbox main shaft?
    I had a similar noise problem with a 505 S2 Wagon some years ago.

That was the only problem and interestingly, although I obtained the other bearings as well, (prior to removing the gearbox)I did not replace them (actually returned them for credit) as the old ones were in perfect condition.

However, the needle rollers were stuffed.

Denis

[ 15 February 2002: Message edited by: Denis ]</p>

Fellow Frogger!
    Hello Denis,
    Without consulting a parts manual, the only 'needle roller' type bearing that was replaced was that associated with the 5th speed, as the case hardening had worn off on most of the rollers. This was one of the 5 bearings done at the time.

Perhaps the other rollers were worn more than first indiactions suggested?

Kim.

Clutch Thrust Bearing?

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Fellow Frogger!
    [quote]Originally posted by Kim Slattery:
    <strong>Hello Denis,
    Without consulting a parts manual, the only 'needle roller' type bearing that was replaced was that associated with the 5th speed, as the case hardening had worn off on most of the rollers. This was one of the 5 bearings done at the time.

Perhaps the other rollers were worn more than first indiactions suggested?

Kim.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Kim,

No this is not what I'm referring to. The needle roller cage I'm referring to is positioned between the input shaft and the main shaft. If you have a Haynes manual, it is shown in figures 5.27 and 5.28 on page 140. It's a cage of 11 rollers, each about 10/11 mm long and 2.5 mm diameter.

From what you've said about the noise, I could almost guarantee that this will be the cause of your noise problem.

Denis

:p

I agree with Denis.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Fellow Frogger!
    Thanks to Denis and all other replies.

As mentioned on my other topic, I am leaving for Spain today, and will not be back until the 27th March. I will try to monitor the forum whilst in Jerez.

The repair to the GTI must be completed before I tackle the STI gearbox. I think you have all put me on the right track - thanks.

Kim.

Bring back a couple of spare gearboxes then...

A workshop manual for my wife's Seat Cordoba would be nice too, Kim

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

In Spanish, of course...

Qué?

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Thread Information